200-4R trans fluid? Dexron VI???

Blue44deuce

I am installing an EA 200-4R into my '65 442 and would like to know which trans fluid is best to use. A while ago there was some debate about the use of the new synthetic Dexron fluid. Has the 200-4R community reached a consensus about that fluid? What should I use in my nice new trans? Thanks in advance.

EA is as in Lonnie Diers call him ask,I use dex 6 no problems here.

The new synthetic DEX that is like 7-9 bucks a bottle is the one to get.

Type f just dont last

Cool. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Last year when I got the trans, he wasn't very familiar with the Dex 6 and couldn't recommend it. But there were others on the forum who highly recommended it. That's why I was double-checking before I fill it up.

Ref to DEX VI..
didn't i read (on the back label) that this wasn't for 2000 and earlier trans? then again, i read another tech release that the mix is the same as DEX III, just re-labeled because GM has re-named their fluid line DEXRON... :confused:
Where's the Citco Synthetic?

Dexron VI vs Dexron III

Info on Dexron VI.
The following chart represents the improvements over Dexron III.
Extended Fill Range = 100,000 miles Normal Use.
Change Interval = 50,000 miles Severe Use.
Clutch Friction Stability = Improved 100%
Clutch Durability = Improved 120%
Oil Film = Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation = Improved 100%
Shear Stability = Improved 200%
Foam / Aeration= Improved 150%

Yes, but this is where I am having a problem and hopefully one of the Tranny experts here can shed some light.

I am not interested specifically in long term, extended life or change intervals in my 200-4R's. That is for the common sheep that think the world should be maintenance free.

Rather, I am looking for the best performance and if that means changing the fluid/filter more often I am OK with that. Just because an oil can brag that it can stay in the pan for 100k doesn't mean it is the best performance choice for max. performance/feel. At least, that is my old school way of thinking which may now be obsolete.

Since often we find that nothing is free, what if anything are we giving up by going to the Dex VI, (besides additional cost)? Are there allowances that have to be made in clutch choice, calibrations, clearances or other settings to accomodate the Dex VI vs. Dex/Merc or 'F'?

+ one on that thought..

A few years back I was involved in blending a expanding polymer "lubricant". The product was sold to cotton gin owners, gun smiths and for lot of other industries including transmission re-builders.
The gun people would buy five gallons and a box of two ounce containers and sell the material for $5 a bottle.
Since we're talking transmissions here, when I was first informed a few people had taken the plunge and were using the material in automatics i was a little more than skeptical about putting some of the slickest goo I've ever had personal experience with in of all places.. an automatic trans.
Seems operating temps went down noticeably and converters were lasting longer but I still was a non-believer. Then one of the local converter builders invited me over for a hands on and eye opening adjustment to my doubting the use of this material. It worked. I won't go into details but it worked.
Since I'm the last person to qualify about what it was doing for an automatic, all I can say after using a half pint in my $00R4, the last time I pulled the pan, there was next to nothing laying in the pan and the transmission hasn't missed a beat in the six years of abuse I've run it through. Will I put some in this hi dollar TH400.. u bet.
Will I use Dexron Vl , u bet unless there's something available that's a proven better product for the job at hand. :cool:

Hello tocommunity Im new to this,i currently have a 84 t-type.The car is pretty slow since its a hot air car. Ive done minor upgrades to the car like fuel pump,converter,methonol,etc. I"m having issues with the transmission not wanting to down shift in to 1st gear without doing it manually. Once u down shift it manually it feels like its lugging when you shift to 2nd gear. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

Hello tocommunity Im new to this,i currently have a 84 t-type.The car is pretty slow since its a hot air car. Ive done minor upgrades to the car like fuel pump,converter,methonol,etc. I"m having issues with the transmission not wanting to down shift in to 1st gear without doing it manually. Once u down shift it manually it feels like its lugging when you shift to 2nd gear. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

Read this article & see if these syptoms match your problems>> TH200-4R TCC Solenoid Transmission Problem

I went to that web site and read it,i also tried some of those test they recommened and it worked. Thanks alot for the info. Turbo1:cool:

Ive been told tractor hydrolic fluid is great for our 200's

Yep!! Been running it for 3 yrs in my Janis 200. U can get 5 gallons for around $50. AutoZone sells it in a bright green container. It says Multitrac on the bucket.

I put DexVI in my car after dropping the pan and changing the filter. It was good for a month, then after a few WOT blasts its slipped on the 1-2 shift. My builder said that fluid is too slick and isnt made for the older trans. Now i have to pull it and get the glazed 2nd gear band replaced. He say good ol Dex III is the way to go.