2.1 Scanmaster install trouble

Robert1mcssgn

Hello all, so I'm building a HA clone out of my '84 Buick Regal Ltd with all '85 GN drive train and I'm to the point to start the car but it doesn't start it cranks over and over but no dice... I'm sure it has to be something electrical cause I've made sure everything is plumbed up correctly... so I got the 2.1 SM to help me identify the problem/s to fix them and fire up the engine... so I was wiring up the SM and the ALDL Plug does not have the E wire... I'm stuck here... where else can I wire the white wire off the SM to to get it to talk to the car ? I got the ground and ignition done but no data wire hook up... thanks in advance... I found a thread where they speak in installation and have a nice diagram but I don't have that wire...

Attachments

• 1426256759505.jpg
    1426256759505.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 1426256768959.jpg
    1426256768959.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 1426256913899.jpg
    1426256913899.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 150
The white wire off the SM goes into the orange wire... for data but I don't have that one as not seen in the pics

so your car.....just to make sure we are on the same page does not have an orange lead in the ALDL as posted in your pictures you provided? If not take a picture of what wires are into your aldl connector

Yes sir it does not have the orange wire that should have the pin in the E insert... never noticed that until yesterday that I needed to wire up the SC, owned this vehicle for 8 yrs now and when I first got it the original motor was bad so I swapped a chevy V6 and ran that for most of the 8 yrs until now ima swapping the HA GN stuff...never needed to use the ALDL for any reason previous motor passed smogg clean

ok, so what we need to do is find where that wire went to. Chances are its behind that dash somewhere. I would go back to the computer and see where it comes into the connector. I dont have the pin number right off the bat, but there is where we need to start from.

ok, I have a vehicle factory service manual. Look at the smaller connector on the ecm. Pin A8 and A9 A8 is serial data, A9 is diagnostics. I would probe A9 with a test light for 5V then if that is good trace that wire.

Ok so the wire should be there then and comes from the ecu, it's not like this vehicle never had it... ok i got you and thanks for the advise... I thought it just wasn't available in my car but thanks for shedding some light... I'll look for it behind the dash then the ecu... I figured it wasn't available because the ALDL harness us all tapped up like it should be so that's why I figured I had to look for another wire to tap into... hum that's weird.

Ol then I'll follow it to see where it leads and if it's just hanging around then I'll wire it to were it should be but if for some reason it's plugged into something else then I'll just tap into it... thanks again Toby

I take that back, After reading the schematic i would look at terminal A8, this feeds to the E slot on the aldl. One of these wires from the ecm will give you data

Ok so I finally wired it but it only stays on for 3 seconds and thats it until I turn off then on that's it... am I missing something ? Thanks

scanmaster will not talk to an 84/85 ECM. that might be part of it. do any of the decimal points blink during the 3 sec bootup?

it sounds like you have some odd wiring issues like a wrong dash harness.

post some pics.

B

Ok sorry for the lack of info, I do have the 87 ecm, MAT wired to the ecm, LT1 MAF w/ MAF translator, TT chip w/ matching 60lb injectors w/ Casper's harness, 87 coil pack with Casper's conversion...Big mouth K&N intake Must say that the vehicle is an 84 non turbo and I installed an 85 complete set up... f body rad w/ dual Ram electric fans with the Casper's harness and plugged into the ecm... yes the dash harness is original to the car... also, Walboro fuel pump w/ hot wire kit, fuel pressure regulator w/ gauge set up, heated 02 sensor... so the car does crank over, over and over but no fire... tested the wires for spark and they r good all new spark plugs, I know I have to regulate the fuel pressure cause with ignition on it gives 60psi and while crank goes down to 55psi...

Oh and during the 3 sec it only shows the 2.1 numbers to the Rh of the screen then turns right off that's it... it's new by the way...

Attachments

• 1426915550129.jpg
    1426915550129.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1426915561245.jpg
    1426915561245.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 123
Since the data wire is missing, I wonder what other wires are missing.

does the "service engine" light do the on - off - on dance at key on?

it sounds like you are getting no data which could mean the ecm is getting no power.

Bob

Yes the E wire is missing and I did find it off the ecu pin A8 and tapped into it but I will double check to make sure they have good contact I just did a quick tap to get it going and if it works then I would wire it correct... yes the check engine does come on when ignition is turned on... yes maybe the ecu is getting no power but I have no idea... I tried swapping the 85 ecu back to see if it would do anything but no dice swapped the TT chip aswell and tried the oem chip and nothing

Ok been a while since I've touched the car but been at it for a few days and the SM does turn on and TurboBob you are correct there is no power to the ecm and the ecm is guaranteed to work as it was plugged into another 87 and fired right up. The car just cranks but that's as far as it goes... Bates is around the corner and I'm afraid I won't make it... Any body near the Ventura Co. (Oxnard to be exact) that has electrical exparience and will also need a tune if or once it fires up... no time left.. I can tow the car if needed, I just want to get it to fire up so I can atleast drive it in thr parking lot enough to take it to Bates... Thanks again as always