2 1/16 inch TACH's

TylerDurden

Jack's Smirking Revenge
I am sorry if this has been covered before, i did a search and didnt find any usable results...so here's my question

i want to purchace either a autometer or VDO 2 and 1/16 inch tach for my GN, summit racing carries a few different models, they all appear to be "electronic", which i am not sure what that means, vice a regular one.

so, are these usable in our car? i think i heard once we have to use an adapter? does anyone use them? and how do you like it? i am not looking for anything special, just something accurate (led's on my car read about 600 rpm high like many others)

tia

Dan Boden

Electric tachs operate off the ignition system, as opposed to cable-driven tachs, which are rare these days. But most regular electric tachs are set up for 8 cylinder engines, so you would need an adapter of some kind. They may even include 4 and 6 cylinder adapters with the tachs. Otherwise, I'm sure AutoMeter or VDO has something for it, just give them a call. AutoMeter's number is (815) 895-8141.

VDO makes a nice 2 1/16 tach that I used for years. It worked great. Get their adjustable mounting cup, which is trick once you see it. You have to ask the vendor or VDO directly to make the internal modification that is required. There is no adaptor. I know because VDO used to be 20 miles from me and they used my car to find out why their tach wouldn't work in the turbo cars ( I got a free tach for my efferts). VDO will gladly make this mod at no charge or at least they used to.

Gary

On the VDO Tach you will need to ask for the 5 volt square wave mod, or it will not work. This is for the 2 1/16 gauge.
You will hook the tach's signal wire to the green wire behind the alt. Hope this helps.

I asked this exact question when I was at Summit. They do have the VDO tach your looking for. It had a switch on it to calibrate it for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines. I don't know the part number but if you call them and tell them what your looking for I know they have it. Cost was around $70 I think :eek:

The calibration switch on the tach will not work. Tach has to be modified internally.

Gary

I have an Autometer 2 1/16 tach on my a-pillar. It's an easy install with no calibrations at all. There's a switch on the back for 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines. One wire goes to the green wire on the back of the alternator, the others are power and ground for the illumination. It works great and is right on with my Scanmaster.

Jacob

well i emailed VDO asking about this mod...(i did this before reading onlya6's post) I guess we will see what thier answer is, onlya6, what is the model number for your tach...i am looking at 333-958, its a 6000rpm 4-6-8 cly tach.

Thanx
Dan

I have a 2 1/16 vdo tach in my gn and I just hooked it up to the green wire behind the alt,ran a power and ground and it works great ,I don't know about any adaptors though

Tach Info in General

Hi,

I'm Tom Houser and I own Performance Instruments, www.gnxdash.com I've been working with VDO and Autometer Tachometers for quite a while now. Here's the scoop.. VDO tachs have to be modified to work with the GN/TR 5volt square wave tach signal. VDO Tachs right off the shelf don't have this modification and the factory doesn't do it anymore. There is an adapter available for $45 that converts the signal so a VDO tach works properly. Autometer Tachs will work right off the shelf. I don't know why, but they do.. Just a design difference. VDO gauges are made primarily in Germany for European cars that use a different tach signal. Both the VDO and Autometer Tachs are only available in Black Faced versions (VDO Cockpit Black and Autometer "Z" series). We here at Performance Instruments work with a custom gauge shop to make them in different face styles. A custom tach usually runs between $50-$100 on top of the cost of the original. For example, we take an Autometer 2 1/16" Black faced mini tach which costs $85 and send it to a shop and they change the face style to Phantom White, Ultralite Silver, or Carbon Fiber. The cost for the "Custom" mini tach is now $160 ($85+$75face change). The 2 1/16" mini tach is the heart and soul of our new nine gauge panel design, the Racer Xtreme. I hope all this info helps steer you the right direction. Take Care and if you ever have any other gauge questions please feel free to drop us a line or call.

Tom Houser
Performance Instruments
www.gnxdash.com

Casper's Electronics makes a tach converter module that allows a VDO tach to work on our TRs. The module is just a little black box that wires inline before the tach. You can find the unit on their website (~$20 if I remember). Unfortunately, I heard they had a whole batch of these that didn't work right, and apparently I got one of these because my tach doesn't work. So Casper's offered to test both the tach and module if I send them in, and I'll be doing that soon.

Good to hear the Autometer tachs work right off the shelf. I almost wish I had gone that route now, except all my other gauges are VDO.