1st time @ the track!

SpeednV6

Fuel Pressure Gauges
Well, my set up should have given me a low 12. Instead, I received a best of a high 12. On my last run, I was going for a possible 12.5 and blew my head gaskets! I ran 5 times because my scanmaster was telling me that my Ambient Air Temp was HOT.
I did watch and was amazed when an 86 T-Type made run after run. He only ran 14psi with a bigger turbo and street tires. Under his hood, the temp was as cool as a cucumber! Under my hood, you could roast marshmellows! I guess the Terry Houston downpipe is not-so good ---too much heat under the hood.

You blew the head gaskets for a reason. More than likley, it was spark knock and yes, that would cause bad ET / MPH, as well as blown gaskets. Your downpipe is not the problem. If your concerned about heat, you should make a cold air intake up and put the air filter outside the engine bay. But, it sounds like you had more serious problems, because it's not that easy to blow a head gasket, let alone both! Was your scanmaster showing any knock retard? If so, how much?

I don't blame the downpipe. It's just that since installing the dp, under the hood is very hot. As for the run, I had 19 psi, 48 psi of fuel, 170* coolant temp, no knock until 2 seconds till the end of the run. The knock was 7.3 then 1.3. I run 100 octane and put 5 gallons of 114 for insurance.

I dont see why the THDP would be any hotter than a stock DP, they are both steel. Define HOT temps. what was it on your ATS? 100 degrees? 150 degrees? what was your coolant temp? Did you let your car cool down between runs?

thats really not a bad time for that setup ... its actually a good time ...but a crappy 60' put some slicks or street slicks on it and you should get your 60' times down in the 1.7 range your , mph shows that your car is pulling quite well but your et. should be just a tad bit lower, next time try the tires and launching with more boost .... look at my time in my sig .... now you can tell that something was wrong with my car with what i have in it i definitely should have been running lower et's with higher mph...but as far as the downpipe goes ..it is not creating more heat than the normal downpipe would...but if your still worried about it you could always wrap the dp or get it ceramicoated...that should help out a little