1st Kills ever in a TR!

VtheGNMan

Who remembers their 1st ever kill in their Turbo Regal?

Here's mine. This goes back a ways as I was right out of high school. Let me set the stage. My older brother took auto class all 4 years in school and in his senior year they rebuilt engines. He built a 383 stroker V8 for his 1/2 ton shortbox, all black 1/2 ton pick up. This thing made power like you wouldn't believe. He had traction bars on it, sticky MT tires and had perfected the launch where you couldn't believe the truck's tires just didn't go up in smoke. He easily had $5000 in the motor and the set up. We had a few silver spoon kids in our school and 1 showed up with a brand new 5.0 Mustang with all the ground effects. They raced from every way, stop light to stop light, 10 mph roll, 30 mph roll, you name it, they raced. Bro's truck always walked away from it like it was nothing.
So little brother comes home having spent $2750 (I kid you not!) for an '87 T Limited. Had 70K miles on it. Blue exterior, power moonroof, soft plush blue cloth seats for the interior, posi, working A/C, and the caddy like grandpa blue cloth top over the A Pillars. This car still is the one that got away. I was young and was happy selling it for a profit after driving it for 6 months. I have old pictures I should try to scan in and upload. Anyway, the T ran like a raped ape. Mind you this was in the days where you mail ordered parts from the Kenne Bell catalogs based on how much HP you wanted to bolting on. No scanmasters, fancy boost controls, knock gauges, larger injectors and the only things hot wired were stolen cars. The T would overboost and start bucking and cutting out. So the trick was to bring it right to the edge of the envelope and feather it back just enough. I know, I know, I too am surprised I didn't blow it up.
So coming home from work one night my brother and I pulled up against each other at a stop light going onto a Highway on-ramp. 2 Lanes merging into 1 about a 1/8 mile after the light getting on the highway.
Sitting at the red light Big brother does a burn out to warm up the tires. The oncoming traffic light goes to yellow, then red. We know we are 3 seconds from a green. I power brake it and bring the boost up to 4-6 on the fool proof LED bar gauge. Rear tires are just about to break loose and the light turns green. We floor it and we're both off. By the time we are through the intersection he is at my rear fender. The 383 is loud and is screaming a thunderous cry as we fly onto the on-ramp. The T shifts into 2nd with a loud chirp of the tires and pulls ahead a full car length and keeps right on pulling as Big Brother's truck is left in the dust all the while as I back peddle as necessary to walk the line between controlled chaos and bucking and sputtering. Race over, T walked all over him.
He still claims to this very day that it was strictly coincidence that the truck went up for sale 2 weeks later. He got into road racing motorcycles and was a national champion in the division right under the super bikes you see on espn. He has a lot of respect though for the TR crowd.
Some of the best kills you will ever have are the ones where it gives you a lifetime of bragging rights.

The day(1993) I bought my T ran my friends 84 LX 5.0, just for fun(raced our stangs every day lol). Two days later on sunday ran a 91 Z28 350TPI and put 2 or so on him. He was at the baseball field that afternoon telling another friend V6 granny looking Regal just outran him, my bud asks "was it black?" he replies "what does that matter?" I added a boost gauge the next week and was making 10# so I made a bleeder valve and got boost to 17# but he would never run me again...
Ran the first C5 1997 vette in my local chevy dealer while it was being test driven, revved at them as they pulled out, stopped at the last light going outa town, he pulls up and looks over, points at the light, I nod and foot brake 4psi, green and we both hit it, across the 3 lane intersection and I'm 1.5 out and he chirps 2nd, I hit 2nd and he's 2+ back, I hit 3rd and he's 4+ back. He stays there till Im 1/2 way thru 3rd and he starts closing in. He slowly started reeling me in till he was about 1.5 back and I hit the speed limit on the stock chip.....we pull over and he is laughing his arse off and the salesman is lookin all crazy. He's telling me that V6 hauls! And the salesman says please tell me that has the GN motor! I asked if they wanna go again but let me put my M&H's on, salesman says "heck no I'm trying to sell him a vette!"

He built a 383 stroker V8 for his 1/2 ton shortbox, all black 1/2 ton pick up. This thing made power like you wouldn't believe. He had traction bars on it, sticky MT tires and had perfected the launch where you couldn't believe the truck's tires just didn't go up in smoke. He easily had $5000 in the motor and the set up. We had a few silver spoon kids in our school and 1 showed up with a brand new 5.0 Mustang with all the ground effects. They raced from every way, stop light to stop light, 10 mph roll, 30 mph roll, you name it, they raced. Bro's truck always walked away from it like it was nothing.

Haha, we all experienced those cars from family members, hell I remember my first experience, 70 1/2 split bumper Camaro with worked over 454 that belonged to my cousin, damn thing couldn't be beat, and people were lining up on Maurice Avenue in Queens. Today it would get murdered though with what's out there now...

1986 in T-town, AL. I had a shiny new off the lot t-type and a 67 chevelle. lane beside me. Fender badges said it was a 325HP 327, and the buick was bone stock. He got out on me and I went by him roasting the tires in second. At the next light he said "what does that thing have in it?" I said "A V6" and drove off.