1995 Regal reverse lights stay on.

hrhoward

Go Team Venture!!!
Hello,
On an off chance, does anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram for a 1995 Regal? I need to check out the reverse/back-up light circuit. Mine are staying on as long as the car is running. Autozone's diagrams were no help.

Thanks,

Heath

Can't help with a schematic, but I can tell you the Neutral Safety, Reverse Light switch is mounted on the top of the trans where the manual shaft is located. It is adjustable by loosening 2 bolts. Make sure to check that it only starts in P or N, if you decide to adjust it trying to correct the back up lights.

X2 very likely that it's in that switch. Located on top of the trans., look down below the brake booster area to see it. Not too bad of a job to do. there's a line molded into the switch that is also molded into the part that turns with the shift shaft. Line up the marks with the trans. in neutral and tighten the bolts. New switch will likely come with a little metal tool attached that self aligns it and then you remove the tool after tightening the bolts. You probably won't run into this but if the bolt on the top of the shift shaft (that holds the lever down) has been overtightened, it will mushroom the shaft a little and you'll have to file it back down to pull the switch off the end. Not a big deal but I saw a guy ruin a brand new switch trying to force it back on a mushroomed shaft. Don't let it stop you from tightening down that very important shift shaft bolt though, once the new switch is on. Use a pair of pliers or your hand to hold the shift shaft when loosening or tightening the top nut. Using the internal parts to hold it while breaking it loose or torquing it down can damage expensive stuff internally.