1995 3800 idles bad

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Ok so sometimes when I go to start my car it idles rough to the point that it will sometimes stall, then the rpm's will go up and down. Does this if the engine is hot or cold but doesn't do it all the time. Check engine light comes on when it does this but I'm having a hard time finding someone with the right scanner to read the codes, any thoughts on where I should start my troubleshooting ? I was thinking maybe it's a bad sensor.

The check engine light may be going on because the eng. is starting to stall. A code reader would be the best way to locate the problem. They are fairly cheap today compared to the early days. I sure even harbour frt. carries them for a descent price. I'm not that familiar w/the supercharged models, I have an n/a 2000 camaro w/the 3800 in it and it does the same thing. Really annoiying. I have a spare GN engine and extra harnesses, computers and I'm considering putting that in the camaro.(need more power!)
Sorry got off topic, 02 sensors would be first choice, IAC may be dirty, or maf starting to go out. I would start w/those first. Hope this helps.

The check engine light may be going on because the eng. is starting to stall. A code reader would be the best way to locate the problem. They are fairly cheap today compared to the early days. I sure even harbour frt. carries them for a descent price. I'm not that familiar w/the supercharged models, I have an n/a 2000 camaro w/the 3800 in it and it does the same thing. Really annoiying. I have a spare GN engine and extra harnesses, computers and I'm considering putting that in the camaro.(need more power!)
Sorry got off topic, 02 sensors would be first choice, IAC may be dirty, or maf starting to go out. I would start w/those first. Hope this helps.

Apparently the 95 model year has a system called OBD 1.5 that uses OBD1 technology with a OBD2 style connector so you have to have a special scanner to read it.

my riv (95 sc) reads fine with an autoxray 6000 scanner and obd2 cable

I've been to 3 shops in my area and none of them could read it. How much does that scanner run ? My car is also a 95 riv acac

I've been to 3 shops in my area and none of them could read it. How much does that scanner run ? My car is also a 95 riv sc

Check the idle air control valve. It can get crudded up and sticky. I have replaced a couple of these on different buicks that I've owned.
John