1987 Grand National - How much???

Grand_National

Hello. A friend referred me to this website. I am trying to get an idea of how much I might be able to get for my car. The following are the pertinent details:

1987 Grand National (hardtop)
113K miles
It has all of the factory options with the exception of the Twilight Sentinel.
Original Paint...It has the usual checking, but still shines. Straight body with only a few door dings.
Very nice interior. No rips or tears in the seats or carpeting. The headliner is beginning to sag in the front.

Enhancements

New embroidered floormats (GN emblem)
New F&R bumper fillers
Kenwood CD player
Pioneer 6X9 rear speakers
Dual gauge pillar pod w/ VDO boost gauge
5-switch ashtray plate
K&N cone air filter
Ramchargers dual fans w/Racetronix wiring harness
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Valve cover breathers
Engine torque strap
Red Armstrong plug wires
Red Armstrong 93 chip
Red Armstrong 'XP' fuel pump w/hotwire kit
Front frame braces
Rear seat body brace
3" Terry Houston downpipe w/cutout

The transmission was rebuilt only 3K miles ago and modified using components from CKPerformance. The transmission works great and offers very fast shifts above half throttle!

The engine was freshened up ~4K miles ago. New items include rod and main bearings, timing set, oil pump, valvesprings, valve seals, cam and lifters. A leakdown test was performed and found that all cylinders were still sealing very well.

Here is the problem.... There has been a noise in the engine ever since it was rebuilt. It does not sound like a rod or main knock. Honestly, I have no idea what it could be. One "gearhead" friend said that it could be the torque converter. I don't have any more money to sink into the car, so I would prefer to sell it AS IS. I would be embarrassed to say how much money I've got tied up in this car. Nonetheless, how much do you think it would be worth as it sits?

Thanks!

You drove this car for 4,000 miles with a noise?? Does it do it when it is cold or hot or both??

Pictures

These pictures were taken before the bumper fillers had been replaced.

GNrear.jpg

gnrightside.jpg

gnleftside.jpg

gnlf.jpg

gnfront.jpg

gnleftquarter.jpg

gnrightquarter.jpg

gnseat.jpg

gntrans.jpg

gncrank.jpg

jswmotor said:
You drove this car for 4,000 miles with a noise?? Does it do it when it is cold or hot or both??

Yes. It doesn't make the noise when you drive the car "normally". It only seems to make the noise once the engine is fully warmed up and under boost. :confused:

Do you have an oil pressure guage? If not buy a cheap one and see if you loose pressure when hot. I had a new pump loose pressure on an LT-1 engine when it was hot.

What are you looking to get for the car in this condition?

jswmotor said:
Do you have an oil pressure guage? If not buy a cheap one and see if you loose pressure when hot. I had a new pump loose pressure on an LT-1 engine when it was hot.

I do not have an oil pressure gauge. It doesn't seem to be related to oil pressure though because the lifters don't make any noise.

jswmotor said:
What are you looking to get for the car in this condition?

I have close to $12K tied up in this car. I know that I won't be able to get anywhere near that amount back out of it. Basically, I'm asking for everyone's input on how much they have seen these cars sell for in this condition. I don't follow the market that closely, so I probably paid too much to begin with. How much do you think it's worth?

I think you would be better off to fix that noise. The car would sell close to what you have in it.

I would guess $4,000 for the car as-is

Looks like a nice car and would probably fetch 10-12K if there wasn't a noise. Considering it might need a rebuild, I think the cars still worth like 6-8K. I would get it fixed and then sell. Even if you have to borrow $ and pay it back once sold.