1987 Buick Grand National

tmbeck99

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this website! So as the title states, I'm looking for the best way to either tint my tail lights myself or find a supplier of tinted tail light housings. I have seen another thread regarding this topic, but the links to buy the tinted lights was no longer working, and i cannot find any online for the life of me. Spray tint seems to be the most viable option right now, though I've never done it. If i go this route, does anyone have a suggestion as to what spray tint i should use? Thanks!

I have had good luck with the VHT Nite Shade. Must use a quality clear coat as well. PM me if you would like me to do them for you.

I’ve had the local parts store mix up some tinted clear in a spray can for other vehicles.
I believe I ended up with a 5:1 mix. 5 parts clear to 1 part black.
I wanted a very light tint on our Explorer. The clear sections have 4 layers and the red has 2 layers.
I let dry a week then wet sanded and polished it. I think it looks like a factory light.

Stock light
. 5770F169-E380-46E2-AA22-6FF6B63637F9.jpeg

Tinted light.
8FED58AB-53EB-472C-AC3F-2FB9522CB0B2.jpeg
F678CDCC-913D-44A6-8FE6-712D691A89E7.jpeg

I’ve had the local parts store mix up some tinted clear in a spray can for other vehicles.
I believe I ended up with a 5:1 mix. 5 parts clear to 1 part black.
I wanted a very light tint on our Explorer. The clear sections have 4 layers and the red has 2 layers.
I let dry a week then wet sanded and polished it. I think it looks like a factory light.

Stock light
.View attachment 355245

Tinted light.
View attachment 355246
View attachment 355244
Thank you for your feedback! there is a local paint shop i can try, do you think this route is better than store bought tint?

Thank you for your feedback! there is a local paint shop i can try, do you think this route is better than store bought tint?

The only real advantage I can see is you can slightly tint them so some of the red shows through.
All the VHT nite shades tail lights I’ve seen were very dark, but that may be what the owners wanted.

My spray cans were made by O’reillys.

I have had good luck with the VHT Nite Shade. Must use a quality clear coat as well. PM me if you would like me to do them for you.

Is it possible to apply fewer layers of the VHT to have a very light tint?
Adding the clear over the top is a good idea as the nite shades I’ve seen were flat black.

A long time ago, there was "Jon's Tinted Tails" who did great taillight tinting. He did my GN's taillights back then and they still look great today. If I remember correctly, the guy was in NY state (or maybe NH). Unfortunately, I don't know what happened but his website is gone... Maybe he went out of business?? I don't know, I've never heard from him again.

Claude.

Attachments

• 720199D2-344E-4562-AE2E-8CFB491B6C6A.jpeg
    720199D2-344E-4562-AE2E-8CFB491B6C6A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 229
A long time ago, there was "Jon's Tinted Tails" who did great taillight tinting. He did my GN's taillights back then and they still look great today. If I remember correctly, the guy was in NY state (or maybe NH). Unfortunately, I don't know what happened but his website is gone... Maybe he went out of business?? I don't know, I've never heard from him again.

Claude.
Those tail lights look great, thanks for sharing! But it's a bummer that Jon's website disappeared, i'm afraid i joined the community far too late to experience the peak of it but i'm glad there's still a decent amount of people on here keeping the community alive!

Those tail lights look great, thanks for sharing! But it's a bummer that Jon's website disappeared, i'm afraid i joined the community far too late to experience the peak of it but i'm glad there's still a decent amount of people on here keeping the community alive!
One thing I forgot to mention is that "Jon's" always sanded off the small numbers cast into the lenses and (in the case of our Buicks) also tinted the backup lamps for a more uniform smoother look... Here's another picture I found in my files...
Claude.
DSCN0015 (1).JPG