1986 Grand National Hardtop, 75k miles, 1 owner

GotGrunt

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 86 GN since it does nothing but sit, and has been for a while. The car is very clean and well maintained, garage kept under a cover. The owners manual has the maintenance history logged since day 1. Fresh tune up, fluids, brakes, tires, etc. I want to focus on restoring my other GN so I decided to let this one go.

It is a solid roof car with the VD6/VD7 aluminum bumper supports, power windows, rear defrost, concert sound II, G80 posi rear, etc.

Bone stock except for a Kenne-Bell stainless steel catback, K&N drop-in filter, a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the rail, and a breather on the passenger side valve cover (I still have the original breather assembly). It still has the factory non-adjustable wastegate :cool: I saved the original hood struts and plug wires. The factory head unit is still in the car. The interior is mint! The car has been repainted about 10 years ago to replace the crappy factory paint. It has a few rock chips here and there, but still looks great! The car is mechanically sound; starts right up everytime, shifts are really firm, posi works as it should.

Things that need attention:

-The "3" broke off the hood emblem when I was drying the car. I have a new one in the box which comes with the car
-The power antenna doesn't work, not sure what the problem is because I haven't tried to diagnose it yet
-The grille has a slight break in one of the fins. It's not really too noticeable but I have another 86 GN grill in excellent shape that will come with the car
-It needs the front bumper fillers painted (they are in excellent shape otherwise). It also needs rear bumper fillers painted/installed, which I have new in the box and comes with the car
-Has a few small rust bubbles on the bottom of the doors, and one tiny rust hole on the drivers side door. This car is not a rust bucket by any means, the underside of the car is spotless. The door bubbles were due to deteriorated door sweeps which I have already replaced (and also the roof rail weatherstripping) so this doesn't happen again.

I was going to take care of all those things in the spring, all minor stuff... but plans have changed for now and it would make a great finished product for someone who wants a solid, survivor GN. It just needs some elbow grease and free time.

Clean carfax, no accidents, no other issues than what I listed. I have the original title from 1986, clear and in hand. I am looking for $8,500 but feel free to make offers. I can help with shipping arrangements for out of state buyers if need be.

Here are a few pictures of the car, sorry for the poor picture quality (I used my cell phone)

1stdayb.jpg

imag0209s.jpg

imag0213g.jpg

imag0211.jpg

imag0216e.jpg

rpo2.jpg

imag0214i.jpg

Would you be interested in any trades? I have a nicely built 94 z28 lt1,4L60E,cnc ported heads,custom comp cam,fully ported edelbrock air gap intake..plus much more..Pm me if interested

Sorry if I am asking a question that was covered above, but I didn't see anything about it.

Do you have the wheel opening moldings?

Also, Can you please post clear photos of the rust? Both the bubbles and hole that you were referring to.

How would you rate the quality of the repaint? When was it done and how much did it cost? Not trying to imply anything. Just trying to determine if the whole car will need to be repainted when the fillers are done, the rust is and chips are fixed that you were referring to.

$8,500 is very reasonable if this car is as nice as what is descibed...another potential great deal to be had on TB.com!!

no pictures attached

They are not attachments, I have them hosted and linked over from Imageshack.

Would you be interested in any trades? I have a nicely built 94 z28 lt1,4L60E,cnc ported heads,custom comp cam,fully ported edelbrock air gap intake..plus much more..Pm me if interested

Thanks for the offer but I'm really trying to consolidate the fleet lol

Sorry if I am asking a question that was covered above, but I didn't see anything about it.

Do you have the wheel opening moldings?

Also, Can you please post clear photos of the rust? Both the bubbles and hole that you were referring to.

How would you rate the quality of the repaint? When was it done and how much did it cost? Not trying to imply anything. Just trying to determine if the whole car will need to be repainted when the fillers are done, the rust is and chips are fixed that you were referring to.

Yes, good eye! I forgot to mention the wheel well moldings were taken off after the repaint. I think it looks cleaner that way but I still have them and they will go with the car. The paint was professionally done about 10 years ago, looks like the factory paint minus the chip guard finish towards the bottom. It doesn't need paint!

$8,500 is very reasonable if this car is as nice as what is descibed...another potential great deal to be had on TB.com!!

Thanks! I think it's more than fair considering almost everything it needs is included with the sale and when it's done it should be worth quite a bit more. I just don't have the time to finish this up, too many projects and it's COLD here in NY :eek:

Here is a picture of the drivers side door, the one with the hole on the corner. The bubbles are barely visible unless you get down and start looking for them, and they don't really show up in the picture. The passenger side door only has a few bubbles, no rot. The body shop I consulted was going to patch the small hole, grind down any bubbles, and repaint the lower portion of the car from the front wheel to the rear wheel. If I still have the car when the weather warms up, it will be getting fixed and I will probably keep it at that point.

rust.jpg

imag0224z.jpg

Nice car. What is the condition of the firewall? Thanks

I just checked the firewall up close and there's no rust whatsoever. The area you see behind the ignition coil has some of the black body caulking (or whatever it is) flaked off exposing the bare metal underneath. It's not even surface rust, just discoloration. It would come off with some simple green and a sponge. The terrible picture quality doesn't help matters. If it wasn't 20 degrees out, that would have been cleaned off already and you would have some decent pictures on here.

I also forgot to mention that the car has a new battery installed.

Merry Christmas everyone! :cool:

you said you had another gn project, would you be willing to sell as a roller minus motor,tranny,intercooler,ecu,wire harness? or if not do you know of ant one that is selling a roller?
can anyone else help me out, looking for a roller with g80 rear-3.42's?

you said you had another gn project, would you be willing to sell as a roller minus motor,tranny,intercooler,ecu,wire harness? or if not do you know of ant one that is selling a roller?
can anyone else help me out, looking for a roller with g80 rear-3.42's?

Yeah... $8,500 for the roller, and ill throw in the drivetrain too :p

I must ask being in NY is there any other rust issues other than the doors? How are the floor pans? Was it driven in the winter? I'm in MS so I'll have to check on trucking it. If we get closer to a deal I will get a plane ticket to you and look at it before we make it final. Will you be willing to meet me at the airport with the car and let me inspect it? You may contact me here, or claytonleland@bellsouth.net, or 601-750-7195. Thanks Clayton

I must ask being in NY is there any other rust issues other than the doors? How are the floor pans? Was it driven in the winter? I'm in MS so I'll have to check on trucking it. If we get closer to a deal I will get a plane ticket to you and look at it before we make it final. Will you be willing to meet me at the airport with the car and let me inspect it? You may contact me here, or claytonleland@bellsouth.net, or 601-750-7195. Thanks Clayton

The car is rust-free aside from that one little area on the drivers door. The rest I mentioned are not major, just on the surface and can be taken off with a grinder. You can't even tell from a few feet away, the car looks great. PM sent regarding arrangements to look at it.

We got over a foot of snow here in NY last night!

I wanted to update this thread with additional photos so I took the cover off and snapped as many as I could inside the garage. Please forgive me for the dusty pictures, it's the middle of winter :eek:

Exterior shots:

img0434v.jpg

img0422mo.jpg

img0424z.jpg

img0423ue.jpg

img0425sy.jpg

img0421ln.jpg

Inside the trunk and behind 1/4 panels:

img0420m.jpg

img0418ou.jpg

img0419o.jpg