1986 GN been sitting for 4 years question

Frank120

Let me introduce my self real quick...

Hello everyone! My names Frank and my dad and I have a 1986 Buick grand national. That's enough about me this is a car forum not a auto biography.

I have a 86 GN that I parked in the garage 4 years ago unplugged the battery washed it and let it sit (I know not a good thing to do but, with our business taking over our lives we had no choice.) I'm going to get it up and going again this weekend. I'm not sure what the things to check on should be before i start. I'm a certified Subaru tech of 5 years but I don't know much about older cars. Here's what I'm going to do (please tell me if I'm wrong or add what you think I should do)

1. Pull plugs and spray wd-40 in each cylinder. Re install old plugs (just a couple turns)
2. Turn Crank clockwise a couple of times to make sure it's not locked and movin nice and clean.
3. Drain and fill oil (not sure if I should do this before I start for the first time or right after I get it started)
4. Install new plugs.
5. Check vacuum line from turbo to wastegate along with all other lines and a general look over under the hood.
6. I've read about the orange wire infront of the battery to unplug that before cranking for the first time to get oil presssure back.
7. Anything else?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and I look forward to being a memeber on this site.

That sounds like a good start. Fuel is definitely a concern after four years. Probably need to replace the fuel filter (at a minimum) and drain the tank. Also might want to conceder getting the injectors serviced.

Here are some good links for these cars;
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html
http://www.gnttype.org/resources.html

And when you replace your spark plugs get the R43's and gapped them to .028...there isn't a better plug out there for these cars.

Great find and good luck. Keep us posted.
DB

ohhh...

and replace the oil and oil filter before you attempt to start her.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge in the car? After oil and filter change,leave the orange wire unplugged and turn car over and see if the oil pressure goes up. If it doesnt then your gonna have to prime the engine, either by taking out cam sensor or packing the sending unit with vasiline. Obviously,do not start the car without any oil pressure or serious problems could occur. Good luck, hope,it runs well for you.

I'd concur with what the other guys advised, but don't use WD-40...spray some PB Blaster down the spark plug holes instead; that's probably the best lubricant/anti-seize around. That's what I used to get my '70 Charger fired up after it sat for 12 years, following most of the other items on your checklist (that apply to a carbureted car, anyway). After letting the PB Blaster sit for at least 24 hours, I reinstalled the plugs and hand-cranked it...then cranked it some more with the coil wire removed, then pumped the accelerator a bunch to get fuel to the carb and it fired right up after a few tries. I was pretty pumped to hear the beast running again after all those years!

Good luck, it'll be great to bring your GN out of its slumber again.

I just pulled mine out of storage after being off the road for four years. I put a new battery in it. I pulled the orange wire and cranked it until the light went out, took it to the gas station and filled it up with super and a bottle of Techron and drove it 16 hours, from NH to MI the next day. Rear main still leaks. I had to pour in a couple quarts during the trip but it did fine.

I just pulled mine out of storage after being off the road for four years. I put a new battery in it. I pulled the orange wire and cranked it until the light went out, took it to the gas station and filled it up with super and a bottle of Techron and drove it 16 hours, from NH to MI the next day. Rear main still leaks. I had to pour in a couple quarts during the trip but it did fine.
You're a brave man with a lot of faith. I'm glad things worked out for you.