1985 Motor ques.

Busyman

[BAD HBT 6]
Hey there guys,
I am looking to rebuild an intercooled motor. Good news is that I have found an 85 hot air for a few hundred bucks. I'm looking to make this a learning experience.
My question is - can I minimally use the block of the 85 for an 87 build. I know that I will have to have the turbo drain-back hole drilled. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Busyman
:cool:

It may have a 14 bolt oil pan which would require using a 14 bolt timing cover as well. Otherwise they are the same service-wise.

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing a lot of research and reading but now I'm to the point of confusion. I would really just like to have a completed short block sitting in my garage, just in case. So if you have a minute, has anyone here done this? Or have any thoughts on this that I may not be considering.

I know that I sound like a rookie to all this (and I am) and my questions are very generic. However, I love turbo buicks and would like to rebuild one. After I get past this initial stumbling block I will be able to answer most of my more technical questions through service manuals and searching this forum.

Thanks guys,
Busyman

PM me for my phone number and I can walk you through it. Believe it or not by I have built a few engines over the phone before.

Is the motor complete?

If so use it as is or let me use it :p

If its just a block, the pistons are not the same..

I picked up the motor tonight. It is complete, turbo- electrical, ect. torque converter??? I will get it on the stand tomorrow and take some pics. The guy told me that it came out of a running car that had the rear end of the car totaled out.

Thanks Turbofabricator, I will pm you.

Turbo Archie- you should probably pm me your number. :wink:

Thanks again guys,
Busyman
:cool:

It has been many years since I have had my 85, but rembering back mine had the rolled fillet crank but the block did not have the "ribs" in the valley that the 109 block. There also was no hole in the front for the turbo oil return.

You might want to find out from some of the experts if it will be strong enough for your needs.

For a few hundred bucks is still a great find, you could probably get most of that back parting the hot-air parts out off it. If the crank is good you ahead.