1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 swap?

hboost

Banned
I'm thinking about swapping my drivetrain into a Delta 88, I was wondering if everything would swap in problem free..... Any input?

I think that the swap would be very easy. In fact, I keep having thoughts of doing the same thing with, say, an 81-85 Lesabre 2 door. I figure it to weigh maybe 400-500 lbs more than a GN at the most. I think a very mild engine would put it in the mid-high 12's easy. If you started with a 307 car, you could reuse the thm 200-4r after a freshening, and most had the 8.5 ring gear 10 bolt rear, too. I think the extra wheelbase and rear overhang would help compensate for the extra heft of the b body package. I already have an extra 4.1 core available, but have not run across the car yet. I have recurring thoughts of doing this. I keep thinking of the surprised looks on people's faces after being dusted by a granny car. Plus, you'd be able to cruise in peace without being noticed , unlike the GN. I say go for it! Counterman.

Yeah......that'sone of the main reasons I keep thinking about it, people would never see it coming!!! After they hear the whistle they'd know they're in for a ride, and like you said, you'd probably never have to worry about getting all that negative attention like in a T or GN........

At one point Buick had a hot air in a LeSaber. It had a blackout package too. They were pretty sharp. There was one in a storage lot near me. Unfortunately it was in rough shape. All the special badges and interior was a mess.

Yeah, Pronto is correct. In fact, the turbo/carb set up was available in both the 78-79 style Lesabre, and also made the body style swap into the 80-81 style. I do not know the exact years, but a girl at my high school had a vanilla 2 door in the later style back in the early eighties, when it was a late model car. It had the black out trim, but I never checked it out closer than that. Those had 3 speed autos from what I remember. Full size v6 models were common, so frame brackets should be easy to find for the b body chassis. The later b's with the 307 Olds motors used the thm 200 od trans, and most had the robust 8.5 rear. I keep seeing this light sage green Lesabre coupe--84 or 85model--around here,and can't help but think of this swap. This one is clean and doesn't even have the vinyl roof. It would be perfect. Counterman.

The 4.1 v6 was a base engine in the b-body line for a while so the mounts are available - no shortage of room in the engine bay!

I used to play with b-bodies and have beefed up the suspension with the 9C1 impala cop car steering gear (like the GN fast ratio), wagon front sway bar, 9C1 rear bar & springs, etc etc.

GM built an experimental b-body wagon in 88 or 89 (I have a cutout from Car & Driver)...should/could be lots of fun.

Also, there's a guy who just posted on gnttype.org in the parts wanted that actually has an '85 lesabre with the 3.8 turbo already in it.:eek:

The 4.1 v6 was a base engine in the b-body line for a while so the mounts are available - no shortage of room in the engine bay!

I used to play with b-bodies and have beefed up the suspension with the 9C1 impala cop car steering gear (like the GN fast ratio), wagon front sway bar, 9C1 rear bar & springs, etc etc.

GM built an experimental b-body wagon in 88 or 89 (I have a cutout from Car & Driver)...should/could be lots of fun.

Also, there's a guy who just posted on gnttype.org in the parts wanted that actually has an '85 lesabre with the 3.8 turbo already in it.:eek:

Good answer. I like responses like this.....

1984 delta came with 3.8's...use those mounts...i am not sure what trans was in there...but they did use 2004r's in the v-8's....get the mounts and driveshaft for a 2004r trans delta 88 and should bolt in....