1984 gn taillights?

gnguy84

I have been having problems with my taillights on my 84 for a while. I directly wired the harnesses together in the back of the car and my problems went away. The problem that im having now is different from what i was having before in that before i directly wired them i didnt have taillights, brake lights, or turn signals. Now i do not have tail lights, but i do have the others? Could this be a ground problem? I did switch out theroller switch and the headlight switch as well. I visually checked the bulbs and they look fine. Any help would be great!

my 84 regal had the same problem, i wired direct still had problem.Found bad ground I would suspect that is your problem also.Take the ground terminal and clean it real good and clean where it contacts also,if that don't work. You will have to check near the door sill to see if wire rubbed thew or is grounding out possibly.

Hi,
The main connector to the rear lighting,among other things is a 6? wire job,located behind the left kick panel. It is easy to id, because the wiring insulation back to the rear lights is/was clear,and the wires themselves look like silver, or aluminum.Whatever their material, they are pretty tough, and wiring failures are seldom.
Ground problems could also be the issue. I think there are redundent grounds at both tail light assemblies.
I know you have run wires to your lights, but wouldn't it be nice to make them work as was intended? If you went to the trouble of fishing wiresback there,get it working right and you can do away with all the rigging.
Good luck with your troubles.