1984 GN nearby for sale; opinions?

CamoDeafie

I emaield a seller about an 84 GN on CraigsList, local kinda to me; (Longview) says has a turbo v6 in there...its an 84, so would my hunch be correct that it's a Hot Air car? the seller is asking $3500 for it, and it has some floor rust, no pics tho...is not running which is a problem lol; but I figure if it can be fixed and made to run pretty good, it's a safer route than ponying up $22K for a 87 GN locally.........(of course, I would need to finance for either one....and figure out how to best save money and taking the long long long long route of buying 1 part a month or so for the 84 lol)
I'm waiting for his email with pictures and info if it hasn't sold already.

When you get the pics post them, not running and rust sounds bad for 3,500$ If everything else looks ok, I would shoot 3,000 at the seller.

$3500 for a non-running and rusty GN doesn't sound like much of a deal at all. I don’t know what your auto skills limit is, but if you can’t or done want to work on the car yourself then I'd be inclined to stay away from it.
Personally I'd take a really good look at it and find all the good things about the car and offer a price a little lower than what selling the parts off of might bring you, so worst case scenario you can recoup some of the money if it turns sour.

$22K for a 1987 GN is on the high side as well. It’d have to be my dream GN in every way to give that kind of money for one.

hmm. If i can find a running TR (be it a carbed, hot air, or needing bodywork) for under $ 4 grand, (even better if $500-1,400 lol but pigs will fly before then) at least in the northwest, that would be the first thing. there's a $3,100 Regal, and several NA Regals from $1500 for what looks like a basket case to $4500 for apparently a black Limited with the NA V6

If you want A regal then sure a NA one will work just fine. You could make it into a TR but pretty costly IMO. I take it back, I wouldn't throught 3,000 at the seller i would low ball the hell out of it and say 2,300 then go no higher then 2,800. Only 3,000 if it has good body&paint, interior, posi unit etc. So you could start out with a good baseline to build from. So pics would be making or breaking this deal, we will shot you straight.

right; people on CL seem to think their GNs and NA Regals are worth gold....lol. there IS a regal that looks like it might have had a repaint, or is in primer nearby for sale, but I will check for engine and price; chances are its got the olds 307... I was able to find engines from $85+ depending on year (mostly NAs) that would make for a good baseline for the turbocharging project..since I already have a DD, I am good with having a project car to work on and build little by little...a runner would be the best starting point for me though; but hopefully this one doesn't need too much......I agree about the pics making and breaking this deal, so waiting on that. I have ideas for the FWD 3.8 equipped cars i've been finding between $500 and 3,000 (again, depending on year and condition) that would be good sleepers, but I am really wanting a TR lol. (why else did i join this site.....)

Those FWD 3.8 SC cars are great!!!!!!! Regals are the lightest of sedans, GTP or monte SS are great two doors but hard to find. You should sell your DD and a SC 3.8 as a DD!! You can get a redbull and I can get a redbull!!!

lol NA 3.8s mind you, like the LG3, LN3, L26, L36 cars :) theres a member here who put a turbocharger on his LG3, i think he's built 2 LG3 turbocharged FWD Centuries....I am going to go out on a limb and say the 1984-1987 FWD A-cars are the lightest of the FWD 3.8 equipped cars in NA form....the DD i have can take a 3.8 and 4 speed pretty easy, but because its a 35mpg DD, (for a 1983 Ciera coupe...damn impressive, but slow lol) I want a project car to tinker with :) even with the Iron Duke 90hp engine, and 3 speed auto, the car weighs 2750 pounds with 5 gallons of gas...if the LG3 does not weight more than 50 extra pounds, I could in theory double the hp with mods, and still be under 3K pounds, esp with a 200 hp or so engine....

OK. I think 3500 is TOOO MUCH for this! (no engine pics..)
100_3065smaller.jpg

100_3064smaller.jpg

especially with this condition interior
100_3079SMALLER.jpg

100_3078SMALLER.jpg

said bought from brother in law, who claims that the impellor for the turbo unit froze up, and says rear floor, and both front floor pans needs replacing..............that really does it. It is NOT worth my time or money to look for new floor panels lol.

I would offer 2,000 nothing more, frozen turbo? bad interior, paint looks shady. I would offer not a dime over 2k.

I;m thinking more along the lines of $1500-1800.....i mean, turbo rebuild, $500 minimum, engine probably needs rebuild, thousands more obviously, transmission might need rebuild after sitting for so long (from the growth around it), needs new tires clearly, dry rotten....around $400 to 800 for set of tires, depending on brand and sizes, then theres the interior which needs repairing...and the paint clearly.

I purchased my GN for $6600 on eBay a few years ago... check Hardtop GN pics in signature- that car will need trans rebuilt, bumper fillers, repaint bumpers and lots of bodywork... my .02

I;m thinking more along the lines of $1500-1800.....i mean, turbo rebuild, $500 minimum, engine probably needs rebuild, thousands more obviously, transmission might need rebuild after sitting for so long (from the growth around it), needs new tires clearly, dry rotten....around $400 to 800 for set of tires, depending on brand and sizes, then theres the interior which needs repairing...and the paint clearly.

I agree, If it needed all that work i would go that low. Which just by looking, it's gonna turn out to need all that just to get it on the road.

Don't forget

It will more then likly need brake lines as well, and thats the least, most likly the whole break sysytem, gas tank and pump, fuels lines? The frame could be thin on it as well in the rear.

The car has potential, but worth $2000 tops the way it sits, funny my seats look the same, I would offer him $1500 and see what he says about it. Hell the radiator is probably shot on the bottom half as well. I don't know how bad the weather gets out your way, but if you leave a car out by me out like that, its takes maybe 2 years to start looking that bad, also the ground releases mosisture under the car and they rust out real bad from that.

But again, a real 84 GN is few and far between:rolleyes:

Ask for some engine bay pictures, under body as well.! I hate seeing any classic car like this rotting out in the middle of nowhere(sorry long day)

I can never understand why people let their cars deteriorate to this point. I'd low ball him at $1k, if he wants more then tell him to get it to the point it'll go down the road and you'll pay more.

If he starts the 'Well, It's a Grand National Blah, Blah, Blah" tell him you agree and it's too bad he let his $hit get that bad.

Good catch Eric. That means at least $1200 for a decent rebuild. I gotta agree with Eric on the 1K price.

100_3170smaller.jpg

100_3168smaller.jpg

100_3088smaller.jpg

guy says its a rebuilder, not much more than 2,000 made...(clearly he's done some research) and says it has been sitting for 3 years...I haven't made an offer...since I'm deferring to you guys

I see it on eBay for $2800- so he's dropped the price already... from the pics- that's a parts car :frown: Save you're money there are better cars out there... my .02