1980 Turbo Monte Carlo

wordy1

OK, I have an opportunity to buy a 1980 Monte Carlo with a factory 3.8L Turbo.. How different is this motor from the later TR motors? I mean are the block dimensions and internals similiar?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were no computers in 1980, so how does the fuel management work besides just a carburetor mixing in more fuel when the turbo kicks in? And how does it know when its under boost?

I test drove this car, and the turbo lag was considerable, but it will pass and merge great on the highway, a lot of top end.

This is a fully loaded model with a moonroof, bucket seats and the custom interior with different door panels, A/C, full guages, tilt, cruise, sport suspension, rally wheels, sport mirrors, wide trim, AM/FM 8-track (SUPER DUPER EXTRA RARE in 1980), POSI, special order performace axle (in this case a 2.73 gear, ouch, thats performance?, although it may be referring to the POSI, but it does give the gear ratio), and a TH-350 tranny.

Are there anyways to increase the performance of this motor??

Anyone know the specs of the performance, it 'feels' like a high 15's car as is.

Its a Two-Tone Dark Blue/Light Blue with a Dk. Blue interior.

He thinks its worth a fortune, but Turbo Montees are not that rare, you just don't see them too often as they are not collectible. I offered him $3500 for it, think thats reasonable? I did a NADA search and it actually decreases the price for a V6.

The car has 85k on it and looks great, interior is immaculate, and is all stock under the hood.

Is this car worth the effort from a performance standpoint? I mean can I put some money into the motor and get some decent horsepower? How difficult is it to find parts for this motor?

I personally think they should be considered collectible since Chevy only sold them for a couple years and they are a unique spin on the Turbo Buick. They are mechanically identical to a carbed turbo regal of the same time period which means anything you can do to the Buick version you can do to the Chevy. There are a few guys on this board that can tell you ways to make these early cars really wake up...Fred got his Cutlass into the 12's and several others are running in the 13's. If the car is really as clean as you say it is....I would say buy it if you and him can agree on a reasonable price. One thing I think would really help those early cars is a switch to the 2004R overdrive tranny and a switch to 3.42 gears as well as a looser torque converter. Switching the tranny and the gears would allow the turbo to spool considerably faster due to shorter gear ratios which would keep you in the power range much longer, but would still allow good mileage (as if that were ever an issue) and street manners.

An OD tranny will not mount up in a 80 Monte, you need to extend the frame rails out, or build a custom crossmember.

I agree about the bigger rear, but what can I do to wake it up?

Want to make a stock sleeper out of it if I buy it..

Computers were used on GM vehicles back to the mid 70's. The cosworth Vega is a good example. Used a bosch L-Jettronic style system. As far as what you're wanting to do it's not that difficult. There are several companies that offer after-market G-body parts to use anything from 4 speed manuals to late model autos. The question is how much are you willing to speend to go how fast?

Yes the 200-4R will fit into an 80 Monte, like you said though the mounting for the crossmember on the drivers side needs to be extended back and you need the OD crossmember fron any 84-87 Gbody that came with it

crossmembers.com has the crossmember to mount the 2004r trans or 400 trans in a 79-83 gbody.