1980 turbo monte carlo questions

Mr T type

so i found this super bad ass turbo t top one owner monte carlo that has not been abused at all. the motor is rebuilt Due to blown head gasket and sitting in the car almost put completely back together. unfortunately the guy died of cancer before he could finish it. i bought the car from his wife and son and will be finishing the project. my question is do i have to run all the smog junk? i would like to simplify the engine and Im in nm which currently has no emissions. also what can i do to improve the stock performance of the engine.

Im in nm which currently has no emissions. also what can i do to improve the stock performance of the engine.
If your in New Mexico and don't have to worry about the emission tests you can chunk the emission stuff if you want . It won't bother my air quality here in TX. I wouldn't think it would bother anyone except some........never mind. www.beforeblack.net has something on the turbo Monte . You can google Before Black Racing and find a great place for improving on the performance of the engine that won't kill the budget and stay pretty much stock.

A lot of the smog junk helps the engine run well/better. I would leave most of it alone, except for the AIR (smog) pump system. That is the bulk of the pipes and valves covering the engine. If you are removing the catalytic converter, there is no need for the AIR pump anymore.

If your in New Mexico and don't have to worry about the emission tests you can chunk the emission stuff if you want . It won't bother my air quality here in TX. I wouldn't think it would bother anyone except some........never mind. www.beforeblack.net has something on the turbo Monte . You can google Before Black Racing and find a great place for improving on the performance of the engine that won't kill the budget and stay pretty much stock.
Thanks for the info!
Next question, does any one have pictures of the cruise control set up? My set up mounts to the wheel well and the includes the vacuum pod and controller in one unit and has a cable that runs to the carb. Also it looks like the previous owner just ran the Speedo cable straight to the tranny from the dash, is it generally long enough for that? I have the cable with the smaller end that mounts to the controller so I figure the other one could just be looped in between the wheel well and fire wall to take up the slack. If you have this bracket I would love the opportunity to buy it. I bought this car almost put back together with a trunk full of parts so some things are missing. Poor guys got cancer before he could finish his project.

A lot of the smog junk helps the engine run well/better. I would leave most of it alone, except for the AIR (smog) pump system. That is the bulk of the pipes and valves covering the engine. If you are removing the catalytic converter, there is no need for the AIR pump anymore.
I see well, that would be great. The guy put a brand new cat on it and it has never seen exhaust, but I don't need it so I'll probably just remove it and save it.

I just took my belt off the air pump. My cat does not have a extra tube so don't need it hooked up and it has it's own belt.