1978 3.8 turbo engine smoking

drifterhp

I have a 1978 buick lasabre the engine started smoking when you started it up and still smoked when driving so we got the turbo rebuilt.Put it on drove it around for weeks to clear the exhaust out still smoked.We then sent the turbo back again to get them to recheck it and they said everything looked fine.We then got the engine totaly rebulit and sent the turbo out again the completly rebulit the turbo again new shaft etc etc drove it around for awhile still smokes.

Ok when you get on the gas hard it pings like crazy timing is set @15 @ 600 rpm if you drive the car around and shut it off come back out in 5 or 10 mins. and start it big cloud of smoke comes out the exhaust then goes away but when you start driving it you can still see a bit coming out the pipe.

The engine is all stock with org distributor no parts have been swaped
We also has a new rebuilt carb on it its a 4bbl

When the engine was stock it had no valve seals on the exhaust vales so when the head were rebuilt we did not put any on just new valve guides reground the stock valves valve job & surfaced

we run 10w30 oil & hi test pump gas

When a carb or throttle body is place BEFORE the turbo, the compressor will see high vacuum when decelerating. This vacuum can suck oil past the seal on the turbo shaft.

84/85 engines use a different seal than 86/87 beucase of the throttle body placement. A carb/turbo needs the same type of seal as the Hot Air 84/85 turbo. Check with the rebuilder to make sure they used the right seal.

This may help:
Rebuild IHI RHB5 and add carbon seal

When you drive the car for awhile then shut it off and let it sit for 5 or 10 mins you go and start it up again and it smokes a big puff out the exhaust and then calms down but when you start driving it you can still see it smoking

check the downpipe and up pipe and see where the oil is. That should help you figure if the oil is coming from t he motor or turbo.

After reading that acticle about the turbo needing the carbone type seal it still makes me think its the turbo.The reason i say this is the rebuilder told me he upgraded the seal to the piston ring type

i'D send it out to one of the board vendors and have it inspected and resealed. Then you won't ever have to worry about it:cool: