17x9 w/5.25" BS for the rear? does that work? need spacers?

rileydawgg

I'm looking at a nice set of Foose Legends

4ff7_1.JPG

I can get the fronts in 17x8 w/4.5" BS like I want... but the rears I can only get 17x9 with 5.25" BS (instead of the 4.75" BS that I want). Does a .5" spacer get me what I want? or does that not help me in this scenario?

I'm looking at a nice set of Foose Legends

4ff7_1.JPG

I can get the fronts in 17x8 w/4.5" BS like I want... but the rears I can only get 17x9 with 5.25" BS (instead of the 4.75" BS that I want). Does a .5" spacer get me what I want? or does that not help me in this scenario?

How wide are the rims? I believe it is offered in a 9 inch width, correct? With the spacer they might get a bit close to your fender lip. I believe there are some folks getting away with 4.875 inches of backspacing, but I am thinking 5.25 will be too much.

If the rim is 9 inches or less you would probably be very close, but okay.

I'd hate to say go for it, as all of our TRs sit on the frame a little bit differently and what may be okay for one won't be for another. I'd recommend trying them on your car with the spacers before buying.

Wow, this is tough, as the spacer you will need to run will basically be putting a 9.5 inch rim on your car (nine inch rim plus .5 inch outward push from the spacer). Some folks are getting away with it without any problems - and you might be okay with a 255/45/17, but too much with a 274/40/17 and 285/40/17.

You might want to check out this thread as it addresses a similar topic: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/248830-17x9-wheel-question.html

Perhaps somebody with 9.5 inch rims on their car will chime in here.

Rob

Ahhh... right, yeah that makes sense -- basically a 9.5" rim then...

Anybody out there with 9.5" on the rears?

I have had 4 different sets of wheels on my car. I had 18s that required spacers/adapters, and my current 16" wheels do as well. I am not the biggest expert on the planet, but I have done my fair share of messing around with wheels on Buicks, and making wheels fit that normally would not.

Let me give my opinion. Yes, the half inch spacer would technically make the wheel more like a wheel with 4.75" backspacing. There are a handful of guys who have gotten away with 4.75. The real issue here is the width of the tire. You might get the rim alone to fit, but if you want to run even wider tires, that's where your rubbing is going to come in. Tires like M/T streets have pretty bulgy sidewalls and that can cause problems.

Worst case scenario, buy the wheels and tires, start out with a .5" spacer, and see if it rubs. You have to REMOVE the wheels and actually look for signs of rubbing, it's not always severe enough to hear it. If it is rubbing the frame or quarter panel, there will be a very obvious "clean" spot. Rubbing on the body is easily corrected, you can roll the inside lip of the fender, or run air bags and keep the rear of the car lifted up a little bit. Rubbing the frame is harder to correct because your only options are notching the frame, or spacing the wheel out even further.

Wow, this is tough, as the spacer you will need to run will basically be putting a 9.5 inch rim on your car (nine inch rim plus .5 inch outward push from the spacer).

Rob

I'm not quite as up to speed on wheel fitment as some are but I fail to see how a 9" wheel with a spacer to correct it's backspacing makes it essentially a 9.5" wheel. It simply makes the 9" rim have the needed backspace.....like it would if he could order it with 4.75" vs. 5.25". Am I missing something here?

My 17x9 with 4.75" BS rears fit nicely with 275/40/17 Nitto DRs. I have 3/8"-1/2" space at the closest to the frame and no need to roll the fender lips. Stock suspension with no mods. It's close enough that I could see how some people may have issues if their body is not straight on the frame or their rear end is cocked, so to speak, but with some measuring you should be able to see if you can make 'em work. I'd guess that with the spacers you'd be fine......but it's your money so break out the tape measure/straight edge before ordering.

I'm not quite as up to speed on wheel fitment as some are but I fail to see how a 9" wheel with a spacer to correct it's backspacing makes it essentially a 9.5" wheel. It simply makes the 9" rim have the needed backspace.

Yes, but it also pushes the outer edge of the 9 inch rim outward another 1/2 inch because of the spacer. Just like if you had a 9.5 inch rim with the 4.75 inch backspacing. Hopefully that makes it clearer.

Yes, but it also pushes the outer edge of the 9 inch rim outward another 1/2 inch because of the spacer. Just like if you had a 9.5 inch rim with the 4.75 inch backspacing. Hopefully that makes it clearer.

Agreed......but just as far as where the outside edge is. Obviously. You'd gain that 1/2" on the inside which is where he'd have the likely fitment issue. S

The 9" rim with 5.25" backspacing and a 1/2 inch spacer will fit the exact same as a 9" wheel with 4.75" backspacing was all I was getting at and I think some of the earlier posts left things a tad unclear. IMO. :biggrin:

The 9" rim with 5.25" backspacing and a 1/2 inch spacer will fit the exact same as a 9" wheel with 4.75" backspacing was all I was getting at and I think some of the earlier posts left things a tad unclear. IMO. :biggrin:

Correct. The inside will fit the same, but the outer edge will be out .5 inches further (which may or may not cause problems)!

When I bought my rims I debated this for a long time (to go with a 9 or 9.5 inch rim). I finally settled on the 9 inch with 4.75 inch backspacing to know I would have clearance on both sides without notching or rolling the fenders.

I would have like to gone with 9.5 inch rims, but there was some uncertainty in my mind if the outer edge would clear.

Now on my fronts I went with 8.5s. Should have gone with 8s. That extra .5 inch has caused me much aggravation since I lowered the front of the car. And if my rims were .5 inch narrower I would not have any problems.

I just reviewed an old thread (http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...-wheels/246797-new-simmons-install-t-car.html) and found someone who is running Simmons 17x10 inch with 4.875 inch backspacing with no problems or mods. If this is true, than the proposed wheel combo in this thread with 1/2 inch spacer should work fine.

Group A Wheels is really good with backspacing on these for our cars. You should probably give them a call and see since they know what will fit.

Yes, it was a little unclear. I think I get it now... it's basically just decreasing the lip on the wheel, right?

how about Nitto DR 315-35-17 on 9.5" wheel? No mods.
Conrad C.

how about Nitto DR 315-35-17 on 9.5" wheel? No mods.
Conrad C.

Search on that one - it seems like a few people have managed it. I have never had nittos, but I inderstand they run on the narrow side (for any given size).