17" Drag Radial Recomendations

ATEAV8GN

IC? Who needs that crap!
Hey all,

This is for a buddy of mine whos computer is down...

He's looking for a set of 275/45/17 drag radials. He currently has BFG DR's on there, not the G-force's but the originals, but the problem is he doesn't even have 1000 miles on them and their slicks. Now granted he hasn't been very nice to them (burnouts equivilent to 10K miles :) ) but still he was hoping to get a little more milage out of them than what he did. He's had recomendations for:

BFG G Force FDW (non-DR)
Yokohama Avo(or something like that) Intermediate
and Nitto DR's

He's trying to avoid having to put 300 bucks worth or tires on the car every 3 months. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Originally posted by ATEAV8GN
Hey all,

He currently has BFG DR's on there, not the G-force's but the originals, but the problem is he doesn't even have 1000 miles on them and their slicks. Now granted he hasn't been very nice to them (burnouts equivilent to 10K miles :)
<snip>
He's trying to avoid having to put 300 bucks worth or tires on the car every 3 months. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

SORRY but He cant have it both ways. If you want a sticky tire that hooks good it will be a soft compound. Soft compound also wears quickly. Making a habit of Show off burnouts, for the sake of impressing the troops will cause him to have to buck up every couple of months or so for new tires. I once saw an "beer induced" burnout completely waste a brand new set of Drag Radials in one massive burnout. Gee that was fun, back to the tire store tomorrow. duh

If doing smokey burnouts are more important to him than getting a good launch, then he should buy some hard tires that will last a little longer under the punishment he deals them. The downside will be he wont be able to hook up worth a crap. Lighten the tires may look cool, but I'll take a good hook everytime. Spinning tires lose races.

Dwight Hayden
87 GN 11.33 with a few bolt ons

Nittos. Do people just not know the difference, I wonder? Nittos don't hook quite as well as the other drag radials, but: they last 5k-10k miles, and they handle normal in the rain. BFG's and ET Streets hook better, but wear out crazy quickly and are damn scary in the rain.

I have 4000 miles on my nittos on my Trans Am and there's a LOT of tread left. Looks like I could easily go another 4000 miles on them.

Originally posted by Berman
Nittos. Do people just not know the difference, I wonder? Nittos don't hook quite as well as the other drag radials, but: they last 5k-10k miles, and they handle normal in the rain. BFG's and ET Streets hook better, but wear out crazy quickly and are damn scary in the rain.

I have 4000 miles on my nittos on my Trans Am and there's a LOT of tread left. Looks like I could easily go another 4000 miles on them.

Yes, but do you treat your tires like he does?

quote <but the problem is he doesn't even have 1000 miles on them <and their slicks. Now granted he hasn't been very nice to them <(burnouts equivilent to 10K miles

Sounds to me like he loves to make a lot of smoke --- OFTEN.
That being the case, if he can waste a set of BFG DRs in less that a 1000 miles, I dont think he will get 5 to 10K from Nittos like you do. Tire wear is all connected to the right foot and the brain. The more showoff burnouts you do the more often you will visit the tire store
:)

I do agree that Nittos are a good tire, and as you say will last a bit longer than the BFG DRs . Personally I would much rather have them on anything that I may see rain with. BFG DR + rain = "crap your britches scary" driving :D

Dwight Hayden

Originally posted by elevensecgn

I do agree that Nittos are a good tire, and as you say will last a bit longer than the BFG DRs . Personally I would much rather have them on anything that I may see rain with. BFG DR + rain = "crap your britches scary" driving :D

There's worse than BFG's. 5 years ago I had a worked 5.0. I put some McCreary cheater slicks (like ET streets I guess) on the rear. Hooked GREAT for a while. Until they literally turned into slicks and I got caught in the rain one day. I could not go above 15 because the car would hydroplane everywhere. Extremely scary.

I've been on the highway, on rough roads, city traffic, all situations of good and bad weather with the Nittos, and they handle everything great. Great tire.

Nittos are great on the street! I would be afraid to drive my car on the street without the nittos. While I can still spin them at the top of first and second by just rolling into it, it was dang scary with street tires.

I have never been able to get a good launch at the track with them. My best was a 1.87, but I've only had them at the track 3-4 times.

My car is not a TR, so use the info as you see fit.

I just mounted up some 275/40-17s Nittos on 8.5" rims. Only been to the track once with 2 passes and got a 1.82. Norm for me is low-160s and have even wrung out a 1.55 with 275-15 Nittos and 255-16 BFGs, so I lost quite a bit. However, I feel it is a matter of finding a new lauch technique with the stiffer sidewall.

The BFGs definitely hook harder but you take your life in your hands in the wet where I give it no thought with the Nittos.

I had 275/40/17 Nitto DRs on my WS6. When I sold it, they had 14K miles on them. They still passed VA inspection where he lives. I drove them everyday in all kinds of weather. They suck in the snow though :)

I had many 1.7 launches with them, 6spd and 4.10 gears. They are great all around tires. Much better than the BFGDRs I had before them.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Nittos are great on the street! I would be afraid to drive my car on the street without the nittos. While I can still spin them at the top of first and second by just rolling into it, it was dang scary with street tires.

Yup I hear that. Both my cars are downright dangerous to be hitting the throttle without drag radials.

I don't like the I-Treads I have on the t-type. They ride like ass until they warm up, then ride fine and hook fine.