13.54 @ 106.86 Mph!!!

Orion231

Ok...first time out...I ran 116 race fuel, pure, 23* 100 octane Joe Lubrant race chip. The boost was at 20 PSI, stock tranny, and Nitto DRs. The track is also at about 4000 feet. I couldn't launch, vaccum brakes, stock converter, the car would bog then WHAm...tires broke loose, then after the 60 foot they gripped and the car just flew...

60' - 2.28 2.38 2.65
1/4 ET - 13.54 13.56 13.81
1/4 MPH - 106.86 107.68 107.88

Each run I had 0 knock, and only 20 PSI boost, the car would blwo the tires away when it finally hit boost...but I was real disappointed with my ET...I was told the MPH was good, but my 60' and ET sucked. I treid to turn up the boost, but it didn't boost anymore, turned the wastgate rod 4 turns, still 20 PSI... the turbo sounded great and pulled hard...but I can't ease the boost down withotu it fluttering bad...I raced in Drive, D5 locked up...running a little rich 820 on turbo Link...

I am dropping the new 9x11 3200 stall Lu and shift kit in this week...maybe some help there...Car ran hard just not fast enough for what i have...

:(

Any comments?

Come on guys...it's not THAT bad...lol, well maybe it is, you guys think it has the potential? I just didn't get much traction...

One more excuse...

It was also my very first time to race at an official track...but, I just don't understand why I couldn't turn the boost up anymore...

Probably about a 12.7 with some traction. Given the low boost, mild chip, and altitude...it was probably not too bad actually... you are losing 8 tenths on the lousy 60 ft times...

Where were you? Midland? I did not think it was that high.

Depending on what stall the 9/11 turns out to be, you may have more problem than ever with the launch. It might have gone a bit quicker if you locked up after the 2-3 shift (if you were locking it on the line)

Not sure on the boost....I doubt that the .820 was too rich but without an egt or a wide band, it is hard to tell. The hotter the exhaust, the higher our oem sensors tend to read.

You might back off on the wastegate rod and use a bleeder to see if the boost will come on up.

Thanks Steve...

Yeah Odessa, is at 4385 feet at the airpot Penwell drops down to about 4000 feet cause it is right off in a hole...that is where we race. I was locking the converter on the line, launching in D, and holding the throttle wide open till the trap...any free mods to get better 60 foots? They guys think I have an easy 12 car here just need some traction...:rolleyes:

what was your tire pressure, and how long of a burnout did you do. try different styles of burnouts next time(longer/shorter). with the higher stall you will blow the tires away even more. Figure out traction prob. and bring those 60' down to 1.7 and w/ your combo it will take in the 11's. maybe get a higher octace race chip too to take advantage of that good gas you have in there. go back try again and let us know. good luck.;)

The usual things...do as suggested above, remove front sway bar, use an air bag....launch a bit softer if you were leaving at pretty good boost...I would be surprised if yoiu can hook up the Nittos at more than 3 or 4#s against the brake..

box the lower control arms, put a little more negative pinion angle into it...check it and see what it is first...

Set the passenger air bag so that the rear bumper is level when holding it against the brake at your launch boost...then see if the two wheels are leaving equal length stripes...air pressure 16-18# in the tires...

Discoveries....

Well I may have figured out why I was spinning...the passenger side nitto hd 25 PSI in it, and the driver's side had 18...I told my "friend" ross to set it to 18 from 32....well...he said he did, I set the driver's side to 18...I checked the pressure tonight and the passenger tire had 25 in it... :rolleyes: We set teh pressure just before we raced too, and he had ben bragging abotuu hwo he was goign to beat me...but his car ran a 14.3 that pass, I beta him by 5 tenths... Oh Steve I am moving back to Huntsville soon, so more air and more power! Woohoo! I need to study my runs on T Link...do I take the last o2 reading it third gear? I hit 5200 RPM before the trap...

Get a RACE CHIP with more timing, and run more boost. If your running 116 gas, at least get the full use out of it!:) I run a 110 race chip on straight 110 gas with 22psi. You should have a 11 second ride if you can get her to hook........

Cut a 1/4" piece of thread out of your wastegate actuator to get more boost. Record length before and reset it after so you won't have any surprises when you bolt it back on.

25 psi in the right side airbag will give you some bang for the buck.

Your mph is good for 12.5's with a 1.7 60ft.

Thanks!

I appreciate it guys, I fixed the compressor surge and figured out why I couldn't turn up the boost. The chip wouldn't let me turn up the boost, and I routed the line from the compressor to the wastegate and now I have smooth boost, no herky jerky. I set it to 15 PSI, @ WOT and I had 0 knock! yippie, maybe I can use a little more boost. A good friend in town gave me his old bleeder valve, maybe I can use that later... Anyhow, I also bought soem S 10 wheel cyclinders today so i can hold more boost, just gotta figure out how to install them...is there a walkthrough on gnttype? I appreciate the comments guys! Tranny is getting new 9x11 and Art Carr shift kit this week.

Orion 231: Your times are very similar to mine (see sig). I ran on a mixture of leftover 103 unleaded and 115 leaded TurboBlue with the Thrasher 108. I ran on street tires, but the Futura 255-60's were brand new and I was pretty happy with the grip they had. I saw my boost practically disappear in 2nd when my car knocked and pulled timing out. With a little tuning (more octane, boost optimized to eliminate knock retard) I think I can shave a couple of 10s off my time. With your Nittos, you should be able to cut about 4/10's off your short time. I'm told that translates about 2 to 1 in final ET, so I buy Steve Wood's estimate that 12.7 or less should be yours.

MPH is good for mid 12's. I ran a 12.54 at 107. You're loosing BIG TIME on the 60'. With Nito's, you should see 1.7's easy. I got a 1.72 out of my BFG Comp TA's.

-Banning.

why not get some tires designed for drag racing (drag radials are not)?

it will be one of the cheapest performance upgrades you can do....more .1 per $ than anything else!

get some real slicks, or at the least some DOT legal slicks...you will not believe the difference!

I know some guys can run decent 60' times on DR's, but it is difficult and a real slick will beat 'em every time!

I wish my POS was that fast! the first time at the track it went 14.20 and no matter what I do that is all the faster it will go! so at least you can get 13's! Good luck and If anyone can help you will find them here!