pinion snubber? <--- I dont even know what that is
dump pipe <--------dont know what that is either I never heard of that before

air bag
and computer chips???

thank you guys so much for your help

Carl
by the way I will be running an 87 GN
thanks

Where are you located? I am in North Jersey, and my bud is in S. Jersey. Between us we can get you set up with no nonsense direction.

I am located in central jersey
how about that all in a row
but actually if you look at map it looks like north
I hope by saying somerset county it narrows it down

Originally posted by TurboJim
Where are you located? I am in North Jersey, and my bud is in S. Jersey. Between us we can get you set up with no nonsense direction.

Uh oh, stay away from that Testa guy ;) j/k

I see you're in Somerset county. One shop you want to stay away from is Dynotech. He's pretty close to you, but take my word for it. Dont go there....:mad:

Number 1, numero uno, you will need a new fuel pump. The stock fuelpump in a TR plain sucks. You won't run 13's let alone 11's with a tired dead stocker. An intank pump and a hot wire kit will run you about $150. You can buy a pump for $90 and make your own hot wire for about $10, but not knowing what a dump pipe or airbag is has me worried about your experience with these type of things. It's very easy, but you have to go to GNT-type.org and do your homework.

For chips, do a search on "thrasher" chips. For a near stock car with stock injectors, they are your best bang for the buck $25 will get you a T108. Get it with TCC lockup. You wll need to run race gas with this chip (like 114 octane).... 11's on 93 octane aint gonna happen.

A dump pipe is so the exhaust can bypass the restrictive factory exhaust system. Putting on a non restrictive exhaust works too, but it eats into the $1500 un necesarily (unless you DON'T want to piss off your neighbors) Vendors, autoparts stores and JCwhitney sells universal versions of a dump pipe.

An "airbag" is a coil spring airbag made by airlift. JC whitney sells them in pairs for about $70. Vendors will sell you 1 for about $40. This preloads the right side tire to reduce tire spin at launch.

A pinion snubber mounts to the floorpan of the car above the axle. Under acceleration, the axle rotates up and contacts the pinion snubber. When contact occurs, the axle cannot rotate up anymore so the rotational forces are transferred into the tires for additional bite. In theory, at least.

Before begin your quest for 11's for $1500, you need to know a few things:
1. Jeff Fox who wrote the article was not afraid to break his car.
2. Some of the strategies advocated in the article are not really "the right" way to do things.
3. Cutting corners and not doing things the "right" way can easily result in your car being broken.
4. Breaking your car will cost WAYYYY more than $1500 to fix.

With that said, good luck!

on the bell shaped curve of 11 sec cars vs $$ spent....the $1500 one is more than 2 standard deviations from the mean( on the left side of the curve)

in other words, don't hold your breath

Before begin your quest for 11's for $1500, you need to know a few things:
1. Jeff Fox who wrote the article was not afraid to break his car.
2. Some of the strategies advocated in the article are not really "the right" way to do things.
3. Cutting corners and not doing things the "right" way can easily result in your car being broken.
4. Breaking your car will cost WAYYYY more than $1500 to fix.

WORD!!! :)

-Banning.

Ok thank you very much for explaining everything to me
I understand alot better
I just have one more question dealing with the dump pipe
the way that it kind of comes off with your description
it almost sounds like a 3rd pipe or something that just leads to an open exhaust
if this is the case I dont think I will be doing that
I wanted to replace the exhaust anyway cause I want a very loud sounding exhaust but not something thats so loud that its illegal
any opinions on exhaust and what you guys have used?
thank you
Carl

Yes you are correct about the dump pipe being an open exhaust, most people who run one simply have a cutout in the cat converter "test pipe" and unbolt the block off plate when they want to race. This is rather loud and not recommended for your neighbors to hear :D but is also rather simple and quick to reverse.

Sorry, but I have a Turbo Trans Am so I cant help you on what exhaust to buy.