109 block

It depends, 109 out of junk yard na cars will bring 3 to 350. Bare 109 maged, cleaned that can be bored 10 or 20 bring 4 to 450 gaurenteed good. And a perfect 109 that can stay standard bore, magged, cleaned, checked and gaurenteed can bring 600 or more. It all depends on useable life left in the block. Once 40 over they become 100 blocks.

Not to hijack but my current motor is 40 over and has billet mains. I really want to rebuild it again. Do I sleeve it?

Not to hijack but my current motor is 40 over and has billet mains. I really want to rebuild it again. Do I sleeve it?
I would find a shop that can ultrasound the wall thicknesses and see what is there. how bad are the bores? we just re did our 427 mustang engine and I did not want remove any more metal than absolutely needed, so we checked and found it would clean up with a .004 thou hone...... So in essence I ordered .004 over pistons and saved a bunch of metal for future rebuilds....... 6 sleeves is gonna cost a bit of dough........ good pistons cost about the same if its a standard bore or a custom size, Just another way to do it.

I don't know anything about this block. Somebody has one posted on craigslist and he wants 300. He said it was a 87 grand national motor. He said it's the standard bore. Im gonna have him try and send some pics over. What are the main parts to look at when look in at one with out takin to a machine shop.

I don't know anything about this block. Somebody has one posted on craigslist and he wants 300. He said it was a 87 grand national motor. He said it's the standard bore. Im gonna have him try and send some pics over. What are the main parts to look at when look in at one with out takin to a machine shop.
measure the bores quick n dirty with some cheap dial calipers you can get from harbor freight for 15 bucks they will read close enough to see if its standard bore or 10 20 30 over and so on......... take a socket wrench to remove the main caps and what you want to look for besides obvious cracking and what not is pock marks on the cap to block mating surfaces it should look like fine grain machining marks, if it shows pock marks other wise known as fretting you know the engine was detonated, sometimes hard enough to cause cracking from the main bolt hole threads all the up to the cam bearings........look at the cam bearings are they all in their bores .....none half in and half out........eye ball all of the threaded hole for stripped / missing threads.......look for small chunks of the cast iron being gone from a broken rod or crank making contact where it should not. a good flashlight and a pick up truck tailgate for a workbench.

3.800 it may check at 3.801-3.802 but should be close. A 10 over would be 3.810, 20 over 3.820 and 30 over 3.830. its pretty easy to get the readings confused when your in a hectic situation but just take your time and dont let the seller press you, you have the money he wants so you control the situation. Does he have other turbo car stuff as well?

Thanks appreciate it and I know the boring and stuff I jus built a 385 for my 83 ttype. Now I wanna build a gn block for it down the road little by little. He said he had another gn motor complete but that's Runnin in one of his cars. He has some hot air motors and stuff, but I'll find out what other stuff he has.

The 109 block in my hot air car is 3.845 bore with c/p pistons, forged rods and over 9.18 compression runs great with a 62/66 turbo 6.87 @ 99.5 MPH shutting it off before the 1/8 mph cone due to over reving it in 2nd gear. The 109 is a good strong block in my opinion. John

Thanks appreciate it and I know the boring and stuff I jus built a 385 for my 83 ttype. Now I wanna build a gn block for it down the road little by little. He said he had another gn motor complete but that's Runnin in one of his cars. He has some hot air motors and stuff, but I'll find out what other stuff he has.
cool good luck with it all and dontg hesitate to ask, PM me anytime if you need something.

Lol,I've already honed I once at 40 over so I'm sure it's do for a bore. It's too bad cause I've got allot of machine work in this block.