109 block numbers

Daniel Lane

What's the most streetable horsepower you guys have seen from a 109. Just recently rode in an 87 with around 900hp and just wondering if anyone has seen more from one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. A 109 block with 900 horse? That's impressive. Who built it?

Don't know but the guy who owns the car is named Darrow watts. Low tens possibly 9's is what he told me it would run.

Unless it has been to a track, anything claimed is just that, a claim. I'm willing to predict catastrophic failure sooner than later if it indeed does lay down 900hp. Webs and lifter valley just don't stand up well when pushed hard. Does it at least have a girdle?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Got some links to some vids?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

5965302bec1b028f68c9b2602bbcb9ee.jpg
no but he is on this list. He has since upgraded his turbo to a precision 6766 billet and a few other mods. He's known very well in Georgia for his car.

Yeah. That was also last year and he's upgraded the turbo and a few other things he said. He told me 900 or so and I don't think he would lie. I was just curious to see what a 109 can handle

Yeah. That was also last year and he's upgraded the turbo and a few other things he said. He told me 900 or so and I don't think he would lie. I was just curious to see what a 109 can handle

Thats cool. I just redid my combo with ported aluminum heads and bigger ex housing. Im not expecting those kind of numbers but coming from around 600 fly, I should be around 750ish with this new combo.

Sounds pretty awesome man. Darrow's car is probably one of the cleanest gn's I've been in. I wish I had some videos and pics of it.

When you look at the MPH he's way off from 900 H.P. Sounds like he's had it on the dyno at the import tuner shop. :rolleyes:

Neal

saying and doing ..two different things
he went 126 in THS, a class with a 67 mm limit ..assume 3550 weight thats only ~550hp
and now has a 6766... and from his mouth the car is low tens maybe 9s .. and the opener from you was it has 900hp according to him ..i wouldnt bet money on that :rolleyes:

just to reach nines anything he'll need to be over 135mph and even with that he's still a long ways from having 900hp , low 10s maybe 9 is around 680-710hp
900hp should run just under 150mph in the 1/4 at around 9.10 ET

last outing on my 86 puts it about 830hp without a girdle or main caps or studs .. and on iron heads stock intake ,
the 87ttop i havent had the chance yet to turn it up a little and see what it will do

Last edited:
According to PTE the billet 6766 cea turbo will flow enough air to support 935 horsepower. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss is a few hp shy of 800. He would really have to be getting EVERYTHING out of his combination to flow close to that and eclipse the potential of his turbo. Not saying it can't be done, but very few and I mean very few are able to meet the potential with a Buick design motor, let alone a 109. If he's within 35 horsepower of that turbos potential mass air flow, he knows All the tricks.....

I would say he knows a fair amount. He talked my ears off about all things grand national and turbo related.