109.99 for a TPS??? what the crap

D

Datsunboy

Guys, I have an 85 hotair car and would like to replace my tps. I cannot for the life of me get the old one adjusted. Autozone tried to sell me one for 110$. I cant belive that price. I heard holley or someone sells a replacment. Let me know what, where when and why they are so expensive!

Thanks guys - Evan

How about the junkyard? :) I know the 86-7 shares its' TPS with some NA applications; I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for your car as well. Take the old one and go out hunting. Should cost you all of $2 or $3 there.

Holley has one that is made for their ProJection setup that just happens to work excellent on the 84/5s...The 84/5 TPS's rotate the opposite direction of the 86/7's...Some will tell you that it is okay to use the 86/7's but why not get the right type...The only difference with the Holley TPS is the plug points towards the front of the car when installed instead of straight up like the factory GM TPS...I've got it on my car and it works great!!! This came from the gnttype archives...If you call Summit to order it, just tell them you have the Holley part # and they can get it, otherwise they might not even find it if they have to look for it...

Here's a post that I posted a while back about it...

greg kring: 84 TPS replacement
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:11:35 -0500
Subject: 84 TPS replacement
One of the list members here asked me about the part number for the
holley TPS I used to replace the bad factory original one on an old 84GN
I had. Since I spent the time to dig through the receipts I figured I
might as well post it here that way it will be in the archives for
anyone else who is interested. I bought it through Summit as a
replacement part for the Holley Projection System. The part number is
HLY-543-29. It's listed as a TPS KIT and cost me 27.39 at the time. It
works exactly as original and has been on the car four years now.
Personally I think it's better than original as the plug now faces
straight towards the front of the car rather than up towards the hood as
original. I don't know if the original tps is hard to find or expensive
like some of the parts specific to the 84 turbo cars (coil packs, turbo
up pipe, etc.), but if it is here's an alternative.
greg kring
87 GN
Arlington, Texas

Whatever happened to greg anyway? He used to post alot on the zcar boards (he, as well as I, had a zcar).

Thanks so much for the help guys! _evan

Greg bought a montster Stage 2 GN that is 9's capable but has A/C and is a driver. At last years Buick mini nats in dallas his turbo exploded (turbine blades went through the hood) and he's been working on and improving the car ever since. He's definately still around and we are all waiting for him to bust off some 9's.

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR

holly cow now thats a turbo failure ..mine wont even close to that..:eek:

I won't say who made the turbo, wink wink, but if it happend on the street someone could have been kilt. The exhaust housing had nearly 360 degrees of perforation and Only 1 turbine blade remained in the car (a couple went out the hood into the stratosphere, others went down the downpipe and out the exhaust, others must have vaporized).

He had run 10.60's @ 130+ on pump gas and 15 psi a few weeks before, and was turning up the wick with race gas and real boost. The turbo exploded on launch.

I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen the aftermath.

Sweet crap, he sure blew it apart. I knew he was a GN guy but didnt really realize how nuts he was about it.

I spoke to him about two years ago, real nice guy. Does anyone have his email? Id like to drop him a line and see if he still has his zcar.

Thanks again - Evan

I cant belive his turbo did that, glad hes okay!