100 Low Lead aviation fuel

C

Captain Mark

Do any of you guys know about 100LL Avgas? How would it run in a car motor. I have an airport next to me and could probably get some of this stuff.

There are several people running it, but several people have said not to do it since the gas was formulated for specific rpms, altitudes and other stuff. It will also kill your 02 sensors. Alky or Xylene will do much better. My vote is for alky. While you are setting at a light burning your expensive low lead gas, I am sitting next to you burning 93 octane and not killing the 02. We then nail it off the line, you with 18-19psi of boost and avgas and me with 25 lbs of boost, alky and 93 octane

It runs very well. Any leaded fuel will kill the O2 sensor, of course. Legally, they are not supposed to sell it to you but some might.

hmmmmm....that makes sense. I wonder how it would do with a non-turbo car, like my big block?

av gas

Av gas is a slow burning gas, that is how it is able to be rated at 100 plus octane, I have done some testing when I worked for Hooker headers, and we tried premium gas, then tried av gas,we lost 3 tenths with av gas, and developed a hesitation!
air craft engines are designed to run at 2500 to 2800 rpm max!
are you spinning you buick faster than that?
I have mixed av gas with auto fuel and had so-so results,
I'd use race gas, or alky if it was up to me.
good luck
cruzn57

Thanks for the replies boys, sounds like I need to blow it off.

Try it. It runs great in the older cars as well. I have used in frequently in the past as have many others. Compared to race gas the price is right and it has enuf lead to keep your valve seats in good shape.

here is my experience with avgas

stock turbo and IC, all other basic boltons, i was able to run 12.6s@106 with 10 gallons of avgas and 2-3 gallons of pump gas using 21 psi boost
this was using a 28* timing race chip burned by dave schmucker specifially for my car. I have tried using that chip with alky to no avail, will not work, i have also tried using the chip with sunoco 114 and it didnt like more than 19 psi.

so it appears to me that avgas has some usefulness.....it is approximately 2-2.50 dollars a gallon....and yes they wont sell it to you if they know its going in your car...thats because it is not taxed...but if you go in there with 5 gallon bucket and they dont ask why, you got yourself a cheap alternative to real race gas....
yes it will eat an o2, however 15 gallons went thru my car in a week and nuthing bad happened to the o2 for over a year.

IMO, alky setups are best for street use
c-16 is best for track.....

all others are substitues for the real thing

dan

Originally posted by TylerDurden
IMO, alky setups are best for street use
c-16 is best for track.....

:confused:

Alky.....C-16...... Alky.......or C-16........Alky....C-16..Hmmmmm....
Alky And C-16 :D :D :D

:D

I have used it plenty of times. Wroks well IMO. You can definately run more boost and more timing with Avgas than you can with 93-94 octane pumpgas. I actually get the avgas for nothing so for me it is a great deal. I use it for street tuning prior to going to the track so I don't burn up C16 @ $16/gallon (that's about $10.30/gallon for you Yank's).

Sometimes I add xylene to trhe 100LL as well just to help the octane a little more in the tuning process.

I have noticed that my car spools slower with the 100LL vs Chevron 94 pump gas. Anyone else noticed that?

BTW, it does have enough lead in it to eat O2 sensor quicker than a fat kid does smarties.

I'm pretty sure the specific gravity is different than car gasoline, enough that with a carb you will probably run lean unless you rejet. That might explain the hesitation one poster saw. Our cars can learn the difference and so long as the chip doesn't lock the blm at wot you should be fine. If it does, you should just have to bump the fuel pressure a little. As always after a change, tune your way up in boost slowly and carefully :D.