10 mpg in my 231 what can i do

80regal717

i got a 231 in my regal i put in a holley 4 barrel edelbrock intake shorty headers and 2inch dualies i turned down my idle it idles at 500rpm. (in School now) i can barely afford to drive it is there anything i can do to improve fuel eficiency. someone told me an x pipe would do. would more back pressure help.

1. you have to learn to keep your foot out of it.

2. overdrive transmission.

A.j.
like A.J said thats all i could think of.
you could always convert it over to a drawthru turbo setup. it gave me better mpg and power.

it would require all of the turbo parts to make it work, whats your experiance to turbos? I think a carb turbo would be a poor beginners system.

I would say a 700 or 200 overdrive trans would be your best bet.... not to hard where its impossible, but it still requires some skill.

whats your experiance?

A.j.

it would require all of the turbo parts to make it work, whats your experiance to turbos? I think a carb turbo would be a poor beginners system.

I would say a 700 or 200 overdrive trans would be your best bet.... not to hard where its impossible, but it still requires some skill.

whats your experiance?

A.j.
a carb turbo system sounds complicated and touchy this car is my daily driver. i had an 87 supra with a turbo jb welded tha teeth but i crashed it i dont know nothin bout em. ya i wanna do a trans swap 700 and 200 overdrive tran are automatic aint. i dont know i might drop in a 5 speed that would be more fun and fuel efficient

a carb turbo system sounds complicated and touchy this car is my daily driver. i had an 87 supra with a turbo jb welded tha teeth but i crashed it i dont know nothin bout em. ya i wanna do a trans swap 700 and 200 overdrive tran are automatic aint. i dont know i might drop in a 5 speed that would be more fun and fuel efficient

a 5 speed would be a waste of time in this car. stock, the buick doesnt much like having a manual behind it. been there, done that.

A.j.

This is easy!
2bbl carb.
cheapest route to better MPG's with least amount of mod's,tools,time,heartache.

I'm sure the metering plate in your 4160 is set up for a small block v8.

This is easy!
2bbl carb.
cheapest route to better MPG's with least amount of mod's,tools,time,heartache.

1) Which intake and carb?
2) What tranny?
3) What kind of driving are you doing?

My old NA set up got 20+ MPG. If you're getting 10 then you're either stomping on the gas a lot or have an issue with the carb and timing. Give a little more info on the car and we should be able to help you better.

(in School now) i can barely afford to drive it there

Welcome to my world... I am using a 4bbl Edel carb/intake on a N/A setup right now and my MPGs are about the same as a 350 SBC:rolleyes: But I have a few modes on it and I drive fast too, so that`s kinda my fault. I`m in collage too, so I hear ya there... plus, I haven't worked a day since Nov '08, on unemployment(welcome to MI):rolleyes:

A light touch on the throttle is a good things guys. Pretend that you have an egg under the pedal and it will save you some money.

does a pcv valve do anything for gas cuz mine didnt have any vacuum so i spliced it with my vacuum hose to my brakes bad idea its still kinda driveable