#1 crank bearing and #1 cam bearing damage?

SuperSix

Flaccid Member
I seem to remember hearing there's a possible oil pressure issue that can cause the #1 crank bearing and #1 cam bearing to smear?

What would cause damage primarily to just those locations?

P1020165.jpg

P1020215.jpg

P1020235.jpg

I seem to remember hearing there's a possible oil pressure issue that can cause the #1 crank bearing and #1 cam bearing to smear?

To me it does not look like an oil pressure/flow problem as there is no sign of oil starvation?

What could be a problem is a timing chain too tight. :confused:

Another possibility I have seen is a bent crank snout.

To me it does not look like an oil pressure/flow problem as there is no sign of oil starvation?
What could be a problem is a timing chain too tight. :confused:
Another possibility I have seen is a bent crank snout.

I don't think the timing chain was too tight, someone actually said it looked too loose. The crank is at the machine shop, I will mention to them and make sure they check the snout.

P1020202.jpg

P1020201.jpg

Is that the new one Mark? You weren't kidding about the previous owner. Hope it isn't bent but it may be able to be straightened if it is.

Yep - the block hole GN. We'll see - It's nothing throwing more $$$ at won't fix. :D

That chain is VERY loose, and could have contributed to the damage.

Even with a tensioner, the chain could have lots of "whip" when letting off the throttle, as well as screw with the cam timing?

These $20-30 chain set are a POS made off-shore with soft gears. They have no place in a performance engine, especially if more than 60#'s of valve spring pressure is used. :eek:

They belong in an economy 2 barrel V-6! :)

This is why I beat on TA Performance to make a link chain set with billet gears after years of seeing these junks sets last less than 5K miles.

The cam is bad too, like it's a bad casting. It's getting a 208/208 - I was looking at TA for the timing chain - which one if the best for a basically stock with the 208 cam?