03-04 Cobra

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
About 20 minutes after killing another kid in his daddies new G37S, I found a 03-04 Cobra sitting in a left turn lane with a 4th Gen Camaro next to him. I thought the Camaro might try its luck, but he looked pretty stock and would have been an easy kill for the Cobra.
I cruised past the Cobra and fluttered my boost at him as I passed. This made him perk up and start pacing me. We were doing about 50 uphill, so not a good place to go for it, but as we crested the hill....red light ahead....three open lanes....oh happy day!
He was in the inside lane, me on the outside...the Camaro...it dissappeared. I guess he knew he was no match.
I looked over at the Cobra driver and he says, "Sounds nice." so I complimented his Cobra...it was pretty nice looking Dark gray with black out trim.
The light turned green, but there was another red a couple hundred yards ahead and pedestrians in the cross walk, so we both used better judgement and just cruised up to that light.
Now we have lots of room and open road before the next intersection with no side streets...:D
Green light!:biggrin:
We both roll into it and then floored it. Both of us spun a little up to about 60 but I out accelerated him and was up a couple lengths before he gave up. That supercharger sounded niiiiiiice!
I slowed down to about 30 and he caught up. As we cruised up to the next light, he asked about my combo and told me he was running a kenne bell, a bigger cam and 23lbs of boost. I was surprised. He didn't seem much quicker than a stock Cobra (high 12's).....or I'm quicker than I think...or he doesn't know how to push that thing.
We didn't race again even tho' we had another clear road ahead, but as we got across the intersection, he hit it hard to let me hear the supercharger again, so I nailed it, broke the tires loose and went around him just as he let off and hit it again. Then we just cruised on.
Next light we turned in opposite directions.

Any Cobra kill is a good kill IMO. Some of those lay down some power. But so do a lot of Buicks...;)

Those cobra's can look and sound intimidating but just like most cars, it's bark is bigger than it's bite.

Nice kill non the less!

I was talking to a stang buddy of mine and by his account, the guy should have been making almost 500HP and doing high 11's on drag radials with just cold air, exhaust, a pulley change and a chip tune. I putzed around on the web and confirmed this statement through google search on "03 04 Cobra Horsepower" '03-'04 Mustang Cobra Performance Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Add the bigger cam and the more efficient Kenne Bell on top of those mods and he figures they guy had to be sporting almost 600HP "at the wheels" assuming he set it up right and assuming my buddy aint full of Mustang poop.

Maybe I got lucky and the guy just didn't know how to drive this thing....or he was fishing me in....:confused:

Went 12.20's @124 with catted x-pipe, catback, computer tune and cold air setup. On drag radials. At that time rwhp was somewhere in the 420 to 440 range. Ported eaton and some pullies put me at 522. KB should be 600 rwhp if done right.

went 11.70 at 121 with no converters, smaller blower pulley, air filter and programmer on STOCK tires. 440 rwhp. It will take a GOOD running Buick to kill a MILD cobra from a roll....

12.70 at 112 completely stock with 300 miles on it.

That settles it then...this guy was a weenie driver....or he was about to set me up for a big fall.

I got 1 that layed down 836 to the rear tires 4.6 4-valve dohc single 80mm im hoping to run in the eights this year...........

I've noticed that a lot of Cobras are just like our Buicks. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between the ones that run 14s and the ones that run 10s. :D

My friends 04 puts down about 630 rwhp and runs 11.20's with lots of wheelspin. On dr's!

Yeah they sound cool though with that blower whine, I beat one last year even with my little 49 and 24 #s of boost. But I was running DRs .He had his girlfriend with him so it was cool to walk on him :D I have beat so many fast cars running with my DRs most of the fast cars around me run with ZR tires lots of spin and they watch me pull away !:tongue:

A buddy of mine has an 04 with a whipple charger and bigger injectors on dr's and it runs in the 10's. he told me he has to upgrade the pistons and then install a solid axle and it will be deep in the nines.he is running 22lbs of boost.I not big on that body style .A friend of mine has a 93 cobra that is teal colored .I think that is the best looking mustang but it is a slug:biggrin:

My friend has a Shelby GT500 with a KB and puts 743 down on pump gas. Tunes it himself as he does it for a living:cool: