Why have E85 when you can have E98!!

Honestly, E85 is still a pump gas, consistency is what the guys at the refinery pump in to make the mix. Not sure how accurate you can make mixes when the volumes are in the hundreds or thousands of gallons.

The other thing it isn't pump gas they mix with, it is very high volatility gas they mix with. They have to try to get the RVP up, so the cars/trucks with E85 will start easily below 50F. I have had the E85 consistency seem pretty close to E85 and still start good at 25F. I watch my BLM's so if they went to E70 or so, I would know in a heartbeat.

So E98 is more closer to pure denatured alky, instead of a messy pump gas quality mix of it.

Look at race gas, consistency is good, controlled, I would bet the E98 is on par with that.

Exactly, and as far as E98 cold start i was told unless you have a sperate fuel cell with pump gas just for starts E98 wont want to start at 40*F or lower. But im not sure how many of us are going to run our cars with the temps colder than that.

On a side note - there's a possibility you may have to add an additive for lubricity since there's just a fraction (2%) of gasoline in E98 compared to E85.

On a side note - there's a possibility you may have to add an additive for lubricity since there's just a fraction (2%) of gasoline in E98 compared to E85.

Lucas Fuel Treatment or Marvel Mystery Oil would work very well for that :biggrin:

Some good reading: AGE 85: Aviation Grade Ethanol - A Project Funded by The South Dakota Corn Utilization Council

I from time to time have used 1% diesel. On my 42 gallon tank in my Suburban, running 0.5-1 gallon had no ill effects whatsoever.

Diesel has a stoich of 15.x:1, and is mainly oil, so it won't hurt anything. it add lubricity and in bulk, is very cheap when compared to lucas oil or marvel.

Fuel Composition (AGE-85)
1) 80 to 90 vol% nondenatured ethanol meeting fuel grade certification specifications as described by:
ASTM D1613 (Acidity)
ASTM D512 (Chloride)
ASTM D1688 (Copper)
ASTM D5501 (Ethanol Purity)
ASTM D381 (Gum)
ASTM E1064e (Water by Karl Fischer for Ethanol)

2) 10 to 20 vol% pentane isomerate oil refinery stream (a high saturates-, low aromatics-, low olefins-content product) comprising:
25 to 35 vol% isopentane
10 to 30 vol% n-pentane
10 to 20 vol% 2-methylpentane
5 to 10 vol% 3-methylpentane
2 to 10 vol% 2,2-dimethylbutane
Up to 45 vol% other saturates
Less than 3 vol% benzene

3) 0.5 to 1.0 vol% biodiesel

4) About 6 milliliters per 100 gallons corrosion inhibitor

Not trying to side-jack from the OP, just giving personal experience...

I purchased 165 gallons of E98 about two weeks ago for $3.09 a gallon locally from "my guy". He said next time around he should be able to get it cheaper then that because he finally got his numbers right as far as taxation, how much it cost him, etc.

And something else to fuel the fire...if enough people catch on and make it popular he said he would be able to install a large tank on site, thus buying it by the 18 wheel tanker load. That means he would be able to sell it for about $2.00 a gallon.

Maybe I need to stop by the local refinery, one is within 10 miles and see what I can get local on straight stuff. Might be lots cheaper. But going to be tougher to run in cool weather. But make for some warmer weather consistent fuel to run for sure.

I purchased 165 gallons of E98 about two weeks ago for $3.09 a gallon locally from "my guy". He said next time around he should be able to get it cheaper then that because he finally got his numbers right as far as taxation, how much it cost him, etc.

And something else to fuel the fire...if enough people catch on and make it popular he said he would be able to install a large tank on site, thus buying it by the 18 wheel tanker load. That means he would be able to sell it for about $2.00 a gallon.

have you used it yet, if so how did it run

Maybe I need to stop by the local refinery, one is within 10 miles and see what I can get local on straight stuff. Might be lots cheaper. But going to be tougher to run in cool weather. But make for some warmer weather consistent fuel to run for sure.

I don't buy it from a local refinery, I buy it from a local oil distributor that sells gas to all the local stations. I was surprised that he said he could get ethanol, but I'm glad he can because I feel it is the next race fuel of the future. It's VERY cheap when compared to C16 and other high dollar race gas, and actually performs better from the cars I've seen run on it.

have you used it yet, if so how did it run

Haven't used it yet, and this isn't on a Buick. It's on a Mustang Cobra, as you can tell from the username. But on other Cobras it has shown wonderful results...more power throughout the power band, drastically lower EGTs, and lower turbo spool time. For example...a single 88mm 4.6L 32V Cobra spooled over 1000 RPMs sooner when using E98, compared to C23.

were still working out the kinks, but probably wont bring in our first load untill spring due to not wanting it to sit over winter here in WI.

But hopefully that will give more people enough time to switch over. its a great fuel, as long as you have your fuel system sorted out!!

Guys I have been running e-85 for a while. no problems
to speak of. But a very good friend of mine builds
big time alky carbs and sends them all over the nation.
They have found that the e-85 is not very consistent,batch to batch. As of now. Thus your tune is ever changing.

FWIW.

They have found that the e-85 is not very consistent,batch to batch. As of now. Thus your tune is ever changing.

FWIW.

That's why you get drums of E98 and mix your own...it's actually cheaper that way too if you want to mix in unleaded race gas for that extra security. Electronic testers aren't that bad price wise...I picked mine up for $125. It tells me the exact ethanol content in the fluid I pour into the device.

Or you you can do it the inexpensive way. Get a 1000mL graduated cylinder, fill it up with your E85 that you buy, and let it settle. The gas and ethanol will seperate, and you will be left with 2 parts. True E85 will show 850mL of one fluid, and 150mL of the other.

FWIW.

I have been reading about the inconsistancy in fuels whatever it may be. With E85 switching over to E70 in the winter thats a re-tune for sure.

What do you think of this product below, for a street car around 450-500 hp at the motor. With the WBo2 will it be able to keep up witha the ever-changing variables?

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...-idea-decrease-your-hot-air-tuning-curve.html

As long as you are in closed loop, don't worry about the tuning being off, the PCM will handle it just fine. I have run E85 throughout the winter with no issues, and I didn't see evidence at all that they went to anything different than E85. My fuel trims stayed close to zero all winter. I didn't run it below 25F, but down to 25F it ran fine. So I don't think they vary much past E85 at all.

You must be aware that E85 doesn't get used like gas, so it is often that summer blend will remain in the tanks in the ground well into the deep winter.

I have been reading about the inconsistancy in fuels whatever it may be. With E85 switching over to E70 in the winter thats a re-tune for sure.

What do you think of this product below, for a street car around 450-500 hp at the motor. With the WBo2 will it be able to keep up witha the ever-changing variables?

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...-idea-decrease-your-hot-air-tuning-curve.html

Smokey, I didn't see a post with your info, website, #, address etc.

If you don't want to post it hit me up with a PM, I have a buddy who owns a local Import Turbo shop and I know he'd like to have a connection so close like you are for his customers.

Im going to be kinda vague because everythings not set in stone just yet, but were very close to being one of VERY VERY few Distributors of E98.

Were located in South East Wi

If you guys are using E85 already you know the great success people have had on E98. Plus the price isnt that much higher either. He hope to be in the $4.50/range. Possibly lower for a special ther rest of the year!
Can you drop me an email off list about finding a few gallons of e98 locally, here in the Lake Geneva WI area, at KWall73108@aol.com. The local stations are now pumping e80 and it would be nice to bump that back up to e85 for the last few races of the year.
Thanks,
Kevin

FWIW.

Its terribly inconsistant, I can see change in air to fuel just from filling up at different stations.