What's your MAP values at idle with XFI?

That does not sound too good, you have some serious issues going on, check all your wiring again.......loose connections can do crazy things.

Unfortunately the only wiring I did was for that Aux #2. The rest is via the Casper's harness. Kind of makes me wish I did it myself so I'd know where every connection goes.

On the aux #2 issue, the way my DVOM works is that when checking for continuity it starts at "1" on the display. If there is good continuity it will go to 0. I'm getting like .650 on the meter when I check for ground which is enough to trip the relay and start the pump. I get different readings when it's shut off. The wire runs directly from the FAST unit to the relay - nothing in between. I thought maybe it got pinched somewhere so I clipped it at the FAST unit and checked it there. Still got ground.

I dunno, maybe it was doing that before. I'd like to think I'd have noticed that FP gauge jumping around like that, but maybe not. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the interior lights would dim randomly when I was sitting there idling - that might've been that fuel pump coming on and off but I didn't notice it in the gauge?

Thanks,
Jim

There are 4 aux outputs.. How about switching to another, and see what happens??
Have you checked the harness, and ECM plugs, to be sure no wires are "crosstalking"??
Now that you have the winter to look, I'd take the harness out, cut it open, and take a GOOD look...
"I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the interior lights would dim randomly when I was sitting there idling"...What kind of batt volts R U getting when this happens?

There are 4 aux outputs.. How about switching to another, and see what happens??
Have you checked the harness, and ECM plugs, to be sure no wires are "crosstalking"??
Now that you have the winter to look, I'd take the harness out, cut it open, and take a GOOD look...
"I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the interior lights would dim randomly when I was sitting there idling"...What kind of batt volts R U getting when this happens?

Yeah, I'll try that next. I eyeballed the wiring. It looks okay. I can't imagine what would feed that Aux output a ground, though. I definitely have some strange issues going on. Like you said, I'll have to take a GOOD look at it.

I haven't done any recording with the voltage drop, but I will. It's odd, though, because it's not like when the fans come on. This is a quick dip in voltage - almost like a flicker. I think it might have been that fuel pump coming on. I had to disconnect that 2nd pump for the time being - I'll see there's still the voltage dip.

The alternator could be going bad. There's something making a loud whirring sound up there but I haven't been able to pin-point it. The Comp lifters clack so loud I could have a rod knock and never know it.

Jim

I guess I need to lay off the Diet Pepsi while working on the GN. I disconnected the fuel pump relay and installed an indicator light from the Aux Output #2 and it functions as it should. When I hook up the fuel pump relay, the indicator light comes on. So it's finding a ground between the FAST and the relay. The problem, therefore, does not lie with FAST.

Looking at the connection at the relay, there are TWO wires. One runs from FAST, I don't know where the other one goes. I have no idea why or how I did that. My recollection is running a single wire directly from FAST to that relay. Now there are two. It's a drag getting old....

And no, the rich idle had nothing to do with both fuel pumps running at idle. While it did push the FP up like 10 lbs., it does the same thing with the single pump running.

Now I have to trace them both wires back to see where they go.

Jim

Sounds like a can or worms to me. YOu need to get your wiring sorted out. If your fuel pressure bumps up 10 psi and your a/f doesn't change thats a whole new problem..........:confused:

Sounds like a can or worms to me. YOu need to get your wiring sorted out. If your fuel pressure bumps up 10 psi and your a/f doesn't change thats a whole new problem..........:confused:

I guess it is strange that it didn't change the O2 readings dramatically. Maybe it doesn't read lower than 9.75:1 (that's where it's at when idling).

I found out where the 2nd wire goes. Evidently I had thought about installing an indicator light so I ran an extra wire up under the console. It had grounded out somewhere under there. Now I wasn't stupid enough to jam it up there with some of the insulation stripped back, but the little bit of copper at the end of the wire found a ground anyway. So that's fixed.

I loaded up the very first program that came with the XFI (the program that worked well when I first got it) and the car idles at 9.75:1 and belches blue/gray smoke. It's rich across the RPM band. I think I might have an injector stuck open or something. Maybe a cylinder isn't firing? Not sure.

I'll sort it out. My little victory over the Aux #2 gave me some hope.

Jim

Leaky injector is pretty easy - turn key on, let pump run, turn key off and watch fuel pressure gauge. An injector stuck wide open will bleed the pressure down to zero in less than a minute; a few minutes if it is dribbling. Or run the pump then pull the plugs and see if any are wet. Or if you have a cool borescope I wonder if you could feed it down each runner and look for drips (I keep looking at those video borescopes on ebay and trying to find an excuse :))?

Leaky injector is pretty easy - turn key on, let pump run, turn key off and watch fuel pressure gauge. An injector stuck wide open will bleed the pressure down to zero in less than a minute; a few minutes if it is dribbling. Or run the pump then pull the plugs and see if any are wet. Or if you have a cool borescope I wonder if you could feed it down each runner and look for drips (I keep looking at those video borescopes on ebay and trying to find an excuse :))?

Good point. I'll have to hook a mechanical gauge up to it to see what happens after I shut it off. The electronic gauge isn't much use once the key is shut off.

Jim

Leaky injector is pretty easy - turn key on, let pump run, turn key off and watch fuel pressure gauge. An injector stuck wide open will bleed the pressure down to zero in less than a minute; a few minutes if it is dribbling. .........

This is assuming your check valve is working properly in the fuel pump...... we have one bad right now.... it goes back to 0 within 3 secs of fuel pump shutoff....

This is assuming your check valve is working properly in the fuel pump...... we have one bad right now.... it goes back to 0 within 3 secs of fuel pump shutoff....

Now that I think about it - when I was troubleshooting the spike in fuel pressure a couple of weeks ago I hooked up a mechanical gauge and it had pressure for a little while after I shut it off. I waited for it to cool and still got sprayed with fuel when I took the line off.

Might be a pinched wire in the injector harness causing one to be stuck open. I used a stethescope to listen to them all. #3 sounds different from the rest. Could just be it's position relative to the clacking of the lifters, though.

Jim

Here are the plugs.

If I had a single injector bad, it would show up on that cylinder. All are obviously very rich. After idling the car for a minute I yanked the plugs. Some were still soaking wet with fuel. These are new plugs, BTW (<500 miles).

plugs.jpg

Jim

I spent a lot of time on the phone today with Jack while sitting in my car with the laptop connected to the ECU. It's running a lot better now. Still needs fine tuned, but it's much better.

The one thing that made the biggest difference was taking the TPS down to 3% (from 15%). Despite the fact that I had the idle parameters set to a max of 16%, evidently having the TPS set that high was causing problems. I may try to get it closer to 0. I forgot to check if it still goes to 100%.

We also took the lower left corner and some of the lower kPa rows of the VE table down quite a bit. I made some minor adjustments after driving it around and it's much better. The plugs cleaned themselves up quite a bit, but I replaced them anyway.

When idling in park it's still rich - like 11.0:1 and the O2 correction is maxxed out at 10.2%. But there's not really a happy medium there because if I take the VE table down anymore it goes really lean once I put it back in gear and starts to hunt. So I optimized the in-gear idle values at the expense of being fat in park.

With the exception of the TPS, these are all things I've done before, but not with the precision that Jack took me through. I can't explain why it worked today, other than that we tweaked the TPS parameter (and that I had Jack on the phone). I can't explain why it was fine when I first installed it nor where it went awry.

I'm still concerned that it's so rich in park but swings the other way in gear. I don't know what this means. I ran out of time for today, but there's still some spots in the RPM range that need tweaked.

I'm going to goof around with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks all,
Jim

Jimmy,Let me know if your still thinking about coming up.
The idle problem is curable

Jimmy,Let me know if your still thinking about coming up.
The idle problem is curable

I need to mess around with it some more myself, but I'd still like to come up one of these days. Probably won't be until '09 tho. Maybe at one of the track days next year?

Thanks,
Jim

Jimmy,

I'll be in the shop this morning after 9am... I'm sure we can finish up your idle and fueling. I worked on your GCT last nite and will send it to you when you call... and would like to keep our files between you and I.. :)

Thanks,

Jimmy,

I'll be in the shop this morning after 9am... I'm sure we can finish up your idle and fueling. I worked on your GCT last nite and will send it to you when you call... and would like to keep our files between you and I.. :)

Thanks,

Makes sense. I was goofing around with the files quite a bit last night, too. I didn't realize that I could map the logs on the VE table. It became very obvious where the problems were.

It's fargin cold this morning, but I'll probably venture out by 10 or 11 today.

Thanks,
Jim