What can BPG do to get more cars at BPG Event

Any answer to this question?

as event is 8 month out...and if you can get a full Field maybe $1000 to first and $500 to second...but based on a car turnout...you cannot expect to pay out top Money for a non car field...what did anyone get at BG this past year...

Please explain how the safety equipment in an 2008 or newer vehicle will be any better in nhra/ihra dragstrip safety than a 1987 vehicle ...I dont see anywhere in the nhra rulebook where 11.50s or faster you have to add an airbag.....Im sure turbo buick owners wouldnt mind doing minor upgrades for safety that dont include chopping the car up if it would allow them to compete... Also an open class with an et cap.. may benefit those who didnt build their car to fit a certain class but want to race have fun and win some gas money....

as event is 8 month out...and if you can get a full Field maybe $1000 to first and $500 to second...but based on a car turnout...you cannot expect to pay out top Money for a non car field...what did anyone get at BG this past year...
Fair enough. Last year we had a 7 car field. How many will it take to make a full field?

This must be the event where I asked what the payout was last year & didn't get an answer. I sorta remember now. In my opinion you have to set a payout before the event if you expect the payout to help bring racers. You can advertise that & such, exactly how much you will pay for each class. This would show much more integrity on your part, rather than deciding how much to pay after you see who shows up. If I take off work & travel 800 miles one way to try to win that $1000, thats what it needs to be whether I'm the only car there or there are 20.

The way you do it now is like telling the neighbor kid to come on over to mow your lawn, which is like 5 acres, so he can earn a bunch of extra money, mentioning that your budget is to spend $12,000 on house chores this weekend. Then after the kid gets done working for hours you say well, its not done exactly how I like it done, but Ill still pay you $5. Then you say I will pay alot more next week if you bring some friends to help.

This must be the event where I asked what the payout was last year & didn't get an answer. I sorta remember now. In my opinion you have to set a payout before the event if you expect the payout to help bring racers. You can advertise that & such, exactly how much you will pay for each class. This would show much more integrity on your part, rather than deciding how much to pay after you see who shows up. If I take off work & travel 800 miles one way to try to win that $1000, thats what it needs to be whether I'm the only car there or there are 20.

The way you do it now is like telling the neighbor kid to come on over to mow your lawn, which is like 5 acres, so he can earn a bunch of extra money, mentioning that your budget is to spend $12,000 on house chores this weekend. Then after the kid gets done working for hours you say well, its not done exactly how I like it done, but Ill still pay you $5. Then you say I will pay alot more next week if you bring some friends to help.

Every year I ask who plans on attending to gauge the turnout. This year we are trying something different by asking what stops you from attending. 2 years ago we paid out over $1000 to each class even though there was not a full field. Sponsors also dictate where there want there monies to go. You cannot guarantee a payout and only have 4-5 cars show up. We are non profit club...most of the gate fees go towards paying for the track. We relyon sponsors for payouts. Want more money get some of the Turbo Vendors to put money towards your class.

Please explain how the safety equipment in an 2008 or newer vehicle will be any better in nhra/ihra dragstrip safety than a 1987 vehicle ...I dont see anywhere in the nhra rulebook where 11.50s or faster you have to add an airbag.....Im sure turbo buick owners wouldnt mind doing minor upgrades for safety that dont include chopping the car up if it would allow them to compete... Also an open class with an et cap.. may benefit those who didnt build their car to fit a certain class but want to race have fun and win some gas money....

lets see... crumple zones...frames designed to spread the force of an impact around...side impact bars...better brakes and steering components...this is comparing stock 1987 vs stock 2008 and newer car. As far as an open class with ET cap...you would till have to comply with NHRA rules for Speed and ET's...

Sean and Guys ,I am a new GN owner and just started to participant in these Buick events so let me pontificate ! I believe there are many forces at work controlling our attendance,most of which we are "powerless over" ! I started going because I wanted to meet GN people ,race my car,learn about Buick's, and have fun. I did not pay attention to what or how much I would win or even if it was a trophy or a thousand dollars .I would like to win for the same reason I bought my car ,it would be fun ! Thats it! I'm not quitting my day job and racing John Force (although I will get get $2500 a month social security starting in May ,more car money)
I think the realty is each year there are less OLDER cars on the road just like OLDER people . It's a fact ,like it or not .
I also have a 2010 SS Camaro that I race with my son .We go to a few Camaro -LS Events . There are lots more cars and a younger crowd. Sorry fellow geezers ,sometimes life bites. The larger attendance is not because they pay more money, have lax tech rules or better or closer tracks,( any change in location will always be farther for someone, duh)
We placed in our class(he drives better than me) and did not know what we won until two months later and we really didn't care about the prize ($250) Happy we won ! This attitude I think is typical for most in the type of racing we do.
I propose a "Geezer Class " to qualify you have to have a reaction time under one minute !
Happy New Year everyone,Jim Maguire

My point was not that the payouts need to be huge but that they need to be set in advance so people know what to expect. If I know the payout is a $50 gift cert ahead of time that is what I will expect if I decide to go & I win. If I am told there are $14,000 in payouts, I certainly would expect a decent payout no matter how many cars show up. The point is don't lead people to believe that they will get a big payout then not give it. Just because one class has alot more cars than another doesn't mean that the winner of that class should get way more than the winner of a less populated class. Not to me anyways. The heads up cars have way more money invested in my opinion.

What did THS pay for the winner & runner up last year? Being they were only 1 car short of a full field.

My point was not that the payouts need to be huge but that they need to be set in advance so people know what to expect. If I know the payout is a $50 gift cert ahead of time that is what I will expect if I decide to go & I win. If I am told there are $14,000 in payouts, I certainly would expect a decent payout no matter how many cars show up. The point is don't lead people to believe that they will get a big payout then not give it. Just because one class has alot more cars than another doesn't mean that the winner of that class should get way more than the winner of a less populated class. Not to me anyways. The heads up cars have way more money invested in my opinion.

What did THS pay for the winner & runner up last year? Being they were only 1 car short of a full field.
This is my point too!!!! I asked in advance last year and nobody would say what payouts were.
Money would not have affected us showing up because we are only 2 hours away. Question is how many people might have came if they had reasonable payouts listed?
I think we had 9 cars and two broke which left THS with 7 I think. Second place paid a $50 gift cert that has not been used.

ok for THS for 2013 BPG Event if you have 8 cars that Qualify before eliminations we will pay out $1000 to 1st place and $500 to 2nd Place cash/check this amount may increase if additional sponsors wish to contribute to this class. It may include paying out beyond 2nd place. Please Remember that what we take thru the gate goes back to the participants this include all the Buick classes not just the Turbo classes. We only try to cover our expenses and bank enough to have an event next year. You must pass Track Tech. You will not have to wait for payment you will be paid on the spot. If you have less cars payouts will be adjusted. I really appreciate the input and please understand the Safety issue. I know the majority of the THS cars have not had an issue with Tech. One thing the BPG does is listen to what you all have to say and act upon it.

Now thats a good payout. What will it be if its only 6 cars again?

On another note it seems that the issues are different for different people. Some won't make their cars legal to run the times they do. Others like myself don't like the heat plus no guaranteed payouts.

these will be guaranteed payouts based on car count...8 cars full payout 6 cars maybe $750 and $350 4 cars $500 and $250... maybe more...I do not think THS cars will have an issue to run times and Tech...we cannot do anything about the heat...if we have a rain out we always carry payouts to the next year...we also do refunds on a case by case basis...if you break on day 1 we will credit you for next years event and sometimes refund...

Now thats a good payout. What will it be if its only 6 cars again?

On another note it seems that the issues are different for different people. Some won't make their cars legal to run the times they do. Others like myself don't like the heat plus no guaranteed payouts.

John it is nearly impossible to guarantee any purse unless the class sponsor does it from the beginning... A typical reduction would be a 100 win / 50 rup OR 10% reduction in purse for any car under the 8 car minimum... For example...

8=1000/500
7=900/450
6=800/400
5=700/350.... so on and so forth

In NC I try to pay back 4 places so at least if you make it to the semis and lose you can get your entry fee back.. I think the more places you pay back the more entries you may have from the beginning so noone feels like that fastest car will always win the race which is hardly the case... Not sayin BPG will do this but it is an example

In BG, I paid TSO back to anyone who qualified. This really helped car count. Last year we had 14 cars (would have had more but breakage). This year we only had 8, but could have had more. We had more breakage and a couple guys who qualified decided not to race.

John it is nearly impossible to guarantee any purse unless the class sponsor does it from the beginning... A typical reduction would be a 100 win / 50 rup OR 10% reduction in purse for any car under the 8 car minimum... For example...

8=1000/500
7=900/450
6=800/400
5=700/350.... so on and so forth

In NC I try to pay back 4 places so at least if you make it to the semis and lose you can get your entry fee back.. I think the more places you pay back the more entries you may have from the beginning so noone feels like that fastest car will always win the race which is hardly the case... Not sayin BPG will do this but it is an example

sounds like a sound idea