What can BPG do to get more cars at BPG Event

gbsean

Is it payouts
Safety/Tech Issues
Heat
Track

looking for constructive input please.

I have yet to race my car at BPG, but in talking with no less then a couple dozen guys at Norwalk or on here, the biggest thing keeping the turbo cars from running is the Tech. These cars go quicker then 11.5 with a good skilled tuner and some bolt ons. Almost everyone of us drive our car on the street so climbing around a cage is not something too many of us are going to chop up our cars for 2-3 weekends a summer. I'll keep doing the show and hang out.
I know at least 4-5 guys who make the trip, but don't bring cars because they run high to mid 9's and even detuned, would still go high 10's. The tech at National Trail is so tight, it's killing your turnout. If Norwalk can let them run, then NT should except it to. If the event were still at Quaker City, you probably would not have an issue with turnout.
They don't want to trailer for just the show.
The heat is a killer too, but that's out of your control.
I do know that Quaker was just acquired by a new owner who may be looking for events. I think I heard the Anniversary event was going to be there in a few years...correct.

That's as honest an answer as I can give.

The only turnout it is killing is the Turbo cars...When my car went into 11.55 I put a Bar in because I wanted to be safe and knew I would need it later. We had full classes except the Turbo classes. To give up Safety ie NHRA and IHRA rules just to get more cars thru the gate and compete is a moot point as far as the BPG is concerned. The liability issues are huge. The sponsors and members as well as the Board of Directors can be held liable for any incident on the Track. It cost the BPG almost $5000.00 in insurance to cover the event. Blame the lawyers not the BPG personal responsibility has gone out the door. The Driver may be fine with his/her car but family will look to pass the blame. Liability is the issue...just think if something did happen... TA Performance HR Parts and Stuff...G-Body...Kirban etc get named in a lawsuit promoting and sponsoring the BPG Event, they expect the BPG to cover them and we do by providing a safe event. Bottom line Safety will not be compromised at a BPG event.

Rule #2 in THS states

No peer technical inspections relating to safety equipment rules by class participants or peers. The track safety personnel will make all final rulings on safety related items.

So as long as the track says it is ok ...Run....god forbid something does go wrong...the Track..Event organizers sponsors...and THS rules makers get sued....

What you do on the street or any other event is your choice...But at a BPG Event you have to pass TECH....I do not want to lose my house for a few extra $$$ thru the gate...

Tech is a gamble for some people, I have been there when they were telling people to slow down one day, but then on Raceday I saw people go faster than their equipment and not a word...the heat definitely doesn't help you to be honest, but I don't know when would be better, don't want it to be too close to other events.

I haven't personally brought a car to your event, but I haven't missed one since I started attending...always want to bring my car but other things always keep it from happening.

I have yet to race my car at BPG, but in talking with no less then a couple dozen guys at Norwalk or on here, the biggest thing keeping the turbo cars from running is the Tech. These cars go quicker then 11.5 with a good skilled tuner and some bolt ons. Almost everyone of us drive our car on the street so climbing around a cage is not something too many of us are going to chop up our cars for 2-3 weekends a summer. I'll keep doing the show and hang out.
I know at least 4-5 guys who make the trip, but don't bring cars because they run high to mid 9's and even detuned, would still go high 10's. The tech at National Trail is so tight, it's killing your turnout. If Norwalk can let them run, then NT should except it to. If the event were still at Quaker City, you probably would not have an issue with turnout.
They don't want to trailer for just the show.
The heat is a killer too, but that's out of your control.
I do know that Quaker was just acquired by a new owner who may be looking for events. I think I heard the Anniversary event was going to be there in a few years...correct.

That's as honest an answer as I can give.

x2.... Thats why you get each and every participant to sign a waiver when they run to basically "run at your own risk". NHRA even changed their OWN rules because of poor turnout to their tracks. They seen the writing on the wall and have adapted. too bad it only extends to 2008+....
"Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements."
that is directly from the NHRA rulebook. If NTR would extend that to other makes as well you would DEFINATELY see a larger turnout.

Someone can take a new ZL1 camaro or CTSV caddy or ANY new blower mustang and "Alter" them with bigger pulleys and exhaust and nothing would be said to them IMO....... So its kinda hard to preach about safety when the NHRA itself changes their OWN safety rules, Then it becomes about the turnout and not so much about safety... Just my .02

NTR is owned by NHRA... We get plenty of V6 and V8 cars that attend and the Turbo cars that do not "fit" into the Turbo Class rules and they have no complaints..Point is do not expect big payouts for a class that does not have a full field... The waiver means crap with a good attorney...This has been gone over many times and the BPG will not back down on the Safety issue...If you cannot comply with NHRA/NTR Rules do not show up...but do not bitch and complain about payout because you cannot play by the Host events rules. We already have pledged over $12000.00 in Cash for our 2013 event so we must be doing something right. Again the BPG is a membership based organization a no private group not a business. We listen to what you have to say. If you want to change how the BPG runs become a member join the board in institute change as you see fit...

Put that $12000 in pay outs for the car show and I'll come win my share, but I won't cage my 25,000 mile car. I'll run at Norwalk and show in Columbus. No biggie.
Any chance the "Outlaw fast" cars can just run 1/8 mile? Regardless of times?

Just my 2 cents...you might want to be careful telling people..."just don't show up"...I drive my 25k mile car 700 miles round trip and pay over a hundred dollars to get in for 3 days plus extra for my membership. I take my Mopars and Buick to several other events during the summer and pay no more then $35-45 dollars for 3 day events. I support the Buick events as much as I can, but making a statement like that will cause the guys who drive 100's of miles and are already torn about not bring able to run, to not come at all and you need every head in the gate you can get.

Put that $12000 in pay outs for the car show and I'll come win my share, but I won't cage my 25,000 mile car. I'll run at Norwalk and show in Columbus. No biggie.

Just my 2 cents...you might want to be careful telling people..."just don't show up"...I drive my 25k mile car 700 miles round trip and pay over a hundred dollars to get in for 3 days plus extra for my membership. I take my Mopars and Buick to several other events during the summer and pay no more then $35-45 dollars for 3 day events. I support the Buick events as much as I can, but making a statement like that will cause the guys who drive 100's of miles and are already torn about not bring able to run, to not come at all and you need every head in the gate you can get.

Safety is a moot point...if you cannot run according to track rules do not show up....it is that simple...I and other that run the BPG do not want to jeopardize the club or members in a law suit...

I thought you don't race for the payouts just for fun??
Hanging out with you made us greedy!!! You come out of your closet to be a dick did ya?
We do race for fun but think the class got the short end of the stick on payouts last year.

Coach I agree with you there... I thought Sean was specifically asking for constructive input such as...
payouts
Safety/Tech Issues
Heat
Track
am I wrong ?? You brought up Safety/Tech issues, heat, and track... Seemed specific enuff to me. They have some really great cash payouts of 12K+!! Thats really hard to do for most any event regardless of make or model. But you simply cant pay full payout without a full field of cars I agree there, unless the specific class sponsor agrees to do so.

Would like 1500 first 750 second

Seems fair

After gas hotel and missing work would be nice to be able to have a shot at breaking even

if you cannot run according to track rules do not show up...it is that simple.

We all dont show up to the event Sean. You dont like the answers.. DONT ASK THE QUESTION!

We all will keep going and running our cars at Norwalk, Bowling Green and Reynolds EVERY year.

Heres a nice short thread from going on 4 years ago.. he told us to keep the cars at home then, so thats what we do! Enjoy!
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/bpg-event-cage-roll-bar-nhra-rules-strictly-enforced.290337/

x2.... Thats why you get each and every participant to sign a waiver when they run to basically "run at your own risk". NHRA even changed their OWN rules because of poor turnout to their tracks. They seen the writing on the wall and have adapted. too bad it only extends to 2008+....
"Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements."
that is directly from the NHRA rulebook. If NTR would extend that to other makes as well you would DEFINATELY see a larger turnout.

Someone can take a new ZL1 camaro or CTSV caddy or ANY new blower mustang and "Alter" them with bigger pulleys and exhaust and nothing would be said to them IMO....... So its kinda hard to preach about safety when the NHRA itself changes their OWN safety rules, Then it becomes about the turnout and not so much about safety... Just my .02

Oustanding post Clint!

You are saying to bypass SAFETY,,,,it seems that is the the major reason Racers will not compete.. Has nothing to do with ego...it is about SAFETY... So a 1987 Buick has the same Safety features a 2008 and above car has??? We run NHRA rules and until they change those rules...We will abide by those rules. There is no problem with BPG running full fields for the other classes we run..Just the Turbo classes...

deezdad said:
After reading this thread you might want to add attitude/ego to the list of reasons for poor turnout. You asked for input, got it & proceeded to tell a potential participant to not show up

Thanks. I'm not a "potential participant", I've been there 3 times since I bought my car in 2007. I got engaged to my better half there in 2010. I guess we will celebrate elsewhere from now on. I'll just get one more Mopar event next summer.

I'll leave on this note...If an NHRA owned track is limiting your revenue by their strict rules...go play somewhere else. There is a track in Hamilton which can't be more then 50 miles away. I use to go to a Mopar event there. BUT if its BPG's wishes to not allow a little ease in the rules...then enjoy your reduction in turnout.
As far as the attitude or ego...I don't care about that. I change attitudes and egos all the time.