very angry VERY

lilredss0287

i planned on going to this car show today, got the car all cleaned up and ready to go but half way down there i was looking thru my scanmaster and saw that the temp was around 240 but only when i was standing still soo i went back home and popped open the hood and waited for the fan to cut on ...IT NEVER DID i cant even remember when i seen it on .. since i work at night and only drive it maybe once a week

this was my first time i drove it in weather 85+

this is just a bad relay correct??

i swapped around all the relays in the engine bay, the fan still didnt come on.... i guess ill be buying a new fan soon

The 3 relays on drivers side under the hood next to the hood hinge are fan relays. The large one is a delay which only operates the fan when the car is shut off & a heat sensor turns it on, most owners unplug this relay due to it only functions when the car is turned off & it can cause the fan to run the battery down. The other two relays are for lo speed & hi speed operation when the car is running.

I had the same issue & my fan was burned up, replaced it with dual fans.
:cool:

Have you checked for power at the relays?

The low speed resistor on the fan commonly goes out.

I have a .040 motor with stock radiator and a stock fan and it has never over heated.
180 thermostat.
no AC but has a front mount.
quite a few 90 degree days too.

there may be another problem.

D

A simple check will tell if you have a bad fan or a wiring problem. :cool:

Use a jumper wire from the positive post on the battery to the fan and see if it will run.

when he stated the fan never cut on i read cut out. my mistake. But your tone is scary! :eek:

D

i went out there just now and wired the fan up to the battery and it powered on, i swapped around the 2 relays that didnt work....could both of the relays be bad???

Power to the fan comes from the starter through fusible links attached there, and it is fed to the relays via 10 ga. red wires.

Next step is to see if the is battery and ignition power to the relays.

Also, fan turn-on is made by a computer ground through a temp sensor on the pass side of the intake.

If you are not into checking automotive wiring circuits, find someone to help you with this.

Remember, you own a 25 year old car with first generation computer controls that are problematic at best. :)

Even most auto repair shops are not knowledgeable about GN's. :)

i can go to my work tomorow and use a multimeter ...so to make sure i understand the wire harness the fan connects to comes from the starter then to the relays then to the fan?

so i did some troubleshooting and i hooked up the ground to the fan to the green/yellow wire on the sensor by the TB and put the positive wire to the battery and no go....i put the positive to the red wire on the red wire that goes to the relay and the ground on a bolt on the car and it worked ...soo i guess the fusible links are good since the red wires that go to the relay's work ...but why would that ground from the sensor not work?

If you get the dual Intrepid fans many run, don't run them without a high current harness. I did, smoked my factory wiring. I got a Racetronix dual fan harness, and it works awesome.

do both relays have to be good in order to work??
they are seperate circuits so fan will run if one relay is bad but they are seperate hi and low relays so if one is bad you wont have that speed

i provided you with the troubleshoot link that has the fan circuit diagram
have you checked the rlys fuse in the fuseblock under the dash ?