TSO rules for 2011

Didn't Kolivas put his in the 6's on 275's? I'm with Brad on this issue, tires aren't the limiter, its the turbo. everybdy knows this.

Then I'm sure we'll see you guys on 275's next year. As far as I know the fastest 275 is around a 7.4 If we are making comparisons, the fastest 10.5 is 6.0 I'm not sure what the hang up is for 275's. We already voted that they would NOT get a weight break. If they are an advantage then anyone can run them without a penalty. The larger turbo was voted in for the guys wanting to run the 275 class, so why not make them run the tire they will be using in that class? As far as I know, Tony and Don are the only TSO guys with actual 275 experience. Everyone else has had the opportunity to run a 275 and chose not to. I wonder why that is :confused:

Honestly the X-bar doors are enough of a pain without having to deal with the funny car hoops.
Been looking a lot of installs since this subject came up and I already had more cage than the current contenders, would not be too happy to take another setback in this build. I have seen a lot of versions of the 25.5 installs, most everything shown I had already put in the car just because it needed it for me to drive it.

Will have to buy a copy of the lastest spec to see what else is involved, unless someone has it already to share.

So much for putting in the back seat, really stretchs the stock appearing motto, also makes it a pain to get your soda from the drivethru window too. Hey these ARE street cars with tags and I plan on showing up at the local burger joint and had talked the boys into climbimg over the jungle gym to sit in the back seat.

My vote is a hybrid version, less the helmet hoops.:D

Let me here everyones comments on these rules:

Racing Rules:

INTENT: This a heads up class for 81-87 Buick regal bodied cars running single turbo Buick V6 engines and stock style rear suspension with a 10.5" tire.

Well crap - there went a thought I had. Why not just any Buick bodied car? Just a thought.............

WEIGHTS:
3250# with a 50# penalty for a liquid IC
** All weights will have a five pound error factor for scale inconsistency

What's the hangup with the weight penalty for liquid ICs? Most all 10.5 classes allow them.

So much for putting in the back seat, really stretchs the stock appearing motto, also makes it a pain to get your soda from the drivethru window too. Hey these ARE street cars with tags and I plan on showing up at the local burger joint

You make a point, this class is getting too fast for it's own good i.m.o.
I know no one would agree with me but personally i think there should be an e.t. limit on it.
After the e.t. limit is reached your in super 16, just my opinion.
Alot of guys have really progressed in this class and might even be better off to race super 16 where the sky is the limit more or less....

That should be the very first concern i.m.o. safety first right??

I believe it is the first concern of all those involved. I know it has always been at the top of my agenda as the race director for the point series and the BPG.

As long as I have been racing TSO I have yet to see a car show up that was a blatant safety violation and I dont believe we have had any serious competitors withdrawn from competition by host track safety personal. With that being said I don't understand why this issue keeps coming up and really needs to be put to rest.

1. Buick Racing Events LLC AKA Top Gun Point Series was an LLC for liability reasons of which there can be many.

2. The purpose of these rules is to set a performance level for the class for us to have a level playing field to compete.

3. Host tracks, where we race, have sanctioning bodies that spend millions of $$ to set safety standards THAT all racers must comply with to race at that facility. And they have trained professional personal to determine a cars safety.

4. Host tracks have insurance policies to CYA in case an incident does occur.

5. Buick Racing Events does not and will not make any decision on safety or safety requirements as the purpose of the class rules is to determine the cars level of performance.

6. Anyone who starts making rules regarding safety issues is a fool and better have some seriously deep pockets if something happens because they have just opened themselves up to some serious liability issues.

Everyone competing understands what is required. If you show up with a 7.80 car and an 8.50 cert and the track bounces you in the middle of competition don't whine about it. If you are running 7.80's and have an 8.50 cert and get hurt in a crash its all on you at that point.

2. The purpose of these rules is to set a performance level for the class for us to have a level playing field to compete.

A racer who does the right thing and builds his car the right way (serious racer) has a obstacle to overcome (25.5+) cert that adds weight to his car and now he has to spend more $$ cutting weight in areas to get the car to base weight. The guy with the sportsman cage who should not be able to run 8.49 can get his lighter for cheaper. Sooner or later somebody is going to do their homework and they have the right to put a stop to this at the track, with or without a set of TSO rules.

If this happens there will most likely be the same 2 guys racing each other at the events.

Tso

I agree with ficus, when i hit the wall at bg and rolled down the track, my roll cage didnt move, nhra cert, 850 . when nhra looked at my car at bg, and again at my home said looks like your roll bar did it job, i was asked by beech bend race track officals, did i think it was my fault or the tracks fault, of course it was mine, i had a tire rod end break little rack an pinion joint,
i was asked why i didnt have my complete racing suit on, like shoes and gloves, i replied they are in the trailer, i had few people make smart remarks about me being old, my new car is lighter and faster than the crashed one, and yes its cert to 850 and i have nhra driving license which some wise A--
said i didnt, so i may not run TSO, it is easer to run q-16
good luck to all the racers,
oc,

i was asked why i didnt have my complete racing suit on, like shoes and gloves, i replied they are in the trailer,
oc,

This is 100% shame on the track for letting this happen. If we let the racers decide the safety rules then we will all be racing in shorts and a tank top with the windows down without comp licenses and chassis certs. :eek:

On the safety issue -

I agree with both Tony and Fiscus. It's too late at this point to say 25.5 is mandatory but I think it should be something that the racers in this class start working toward. I can relate in the fact that my green full tube chassis car was certified to 7.50 until the 25.5 spec came out then making it an 8.50 cage. Did that make the car unsafe - heck no! Did I make the updates - yes.

To answer the question on cost - whoever suggested it costing 10k to upgrade needs to find a new chassis shop. I have a 25.3 car under construction (complete with fully accessible back seat FWIW) and have a lot less than that in the cage and that was starting from scratch. I had entertained the idea of setting the car up for both a V6 and V8 so I might could play in TSO but the Regal bodied rule nixes that idea. Thats OK though - it'll save me money anyway!

Hope ya'll get thing ironed out and have a successful turnout next year!

Just thinking about what other Buick bodied car you might want to run with factory frame rails..., everything else is larger or is unibody.

This a GN class lets keep it that way, that is the reason we are all in this community !

Just thinking about what other Buick bodied car you might want to run with factory frame rails..., everything else is larger or is unibody.

This a GN class lets keep it that way, that is the reason we are all in this community !

It's a 25.3 spec 1970 Buick GS which is a GM A-body. Virtually identical to the G-bodied GNs in terms of wheelbase, weight, and size.

You're welcome to keep the class all GN if you like but thinking like that is just another way to limit an already shrinking class. Like I said, it'll save me money and headaches. WTH was I thinking anyway? :rolleyes:

You're welcome to keep the class all GN if you like but thinking like that is just another way to limit an already shrinking class. Like I said, it'll save me money and headaches. WTH was I thinking anyway? :rolleyes:

I hear ya bro!