That GN is stock right...........riiiiiiiight!!!

jdpolzin

P4240004.JPG
P4240003.JPG
P4240005.JPG
Going to be having a little fun with the latest little project of mine. I bought a 57K mile car a while back and decided to restore the car to bone stock......:p!!! Well not quite! I figured I'd do a little playing around with it and E85. I had a motor built for it with .030 over pistons, 204/214 cam, clicky comp lifters:mad:, mild port heads with oversized stainless valves, double roller chain. The trans is a mild rebuild from Lonnie (Extreme Automatics) BRF, New 12" converter with 200 rpm more than a D5. Rear End is a posi. Tires are stock size 215/65r15's. The exhaust is a stock sized, stock style. Turbo is a Stage 2 turbo, which looks stock but has a 58mm compressor wheel and a stock exhuast wheel. They come with the .82 housing but I'm going to put a stock housing on it. I will hog out the stock exhaust elbow and the cat is removed from the exhuast system to help with boost.

I'll be using 50lb injectors that I'm going to paint black so they look stock and a stock appearing adjustable FPR with a 340 pump in the tank. Of course, running E85 Turbo Farm style!!

I'll post more pics once everything is together. Car looks dead stock under the hood, outside and inside! I'm using a stock wastegate non adjustable actuator, the stock boost solenoid. The only way I'm hoping to get more boost is with the exhaust mods, turbo compressor size, cam, and size of motor. I'm not using anything adjustbale to control boost. I'm hoping the set up will make 18#. I'm not trying to build a drag car here, just a fun little street cruiser that looks stock but with the help of E85, I'm hoping to get a little more out of it!!:D Man I love this stuff!

Right now I just have it running on gas, stock injectors, and an old ATR chip. We just got the car mobile after the new drivetrain. It has an old parts store pump in it now too! But she's running good after some bugs I worked out of it. Looking forward to the E85 swap.

BTW.....the fuel pressure gauge wont be on the car once everything is tested

Attachments

• P4240005.JPG
    P4240005.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
for more fun stick a girl behind the wheel with a grin on her face !! Guys will fall for her saying !! "Oh ya, I think it's pretty much stock but it has a modified computer chip in it"

BTW.....I also have the stock IC-Turbo hose on its way, and it'll have stock hose clamps on it too.

And yes, even has grey valve stem caps!!!:D

I'm following a somewhat similar path with my current GN. For a little better breathing I swiss-cheesed the lower half of the stock air filter box where it can't be seen and put a K&N replacement in it.

Yeah I put the K+N replacement in there too. Never though about swiss cheezing the air box. Good idea!

I just kind of wanted to do something different. I like that everyone wants a bad a$$ modified mean looking drag racing beast of a GN but I also like to spend some time restoring these cars to stock and preserving the lower miles cars. It's pretty hard to find all the little clips, plastic brackets, IC hoses and clamps now. Building a stock car is also something that takes some knowledge of how they were originally built. BUT.....stock cars are boring when you drive them! I just thought it would be fun to do a little something different than the norm.

I'm going to have Eric burn the chip for 18#. Anybody have a guess as to what the car will make for boost with this set up? I'm guessing right at 18#. Some people are telling me it will be 20 but I dont think the actuator will allow for that?

raising the boost in a stealthy fashion is relatively easy. get your chip made for "full boost", which should be 19 to 19.5 or so, then we can mess with it once the E85 is in there.

Bob

Hey man I also have a stock airbox as well I can throw in. That'd be sweet if you cut out the bottom of it.

You should put in my 212/212 in there instead with my hardened rocker shafts mang. I can send up the shafts with the other stuff tomorrow.

I just drilled 1" holes in the lower air box actually. Just walked in from doing that. Great idea! No need to ship the air box, this one is fine. The 212 is going in my other motor!!! Thanks brotha!

raising the boost in a stealthy fashion is relatively easy. get your chip made for "full boost", which should be 19 to 19.5 or so, then we can mess with it once the E85 is in there.

Bob
Hehehe.. cool car Jer. I like it!

A tiny "leak" in the wastegate hoses would get the boost up there.

yeah, pretty much.

take a safety pin, heat it with a lighter and poke holes in the plastic elbow right before the solenoid, poke them in the underside to hide them.

:)

Bob

Thats a cool trick! Never really thought about that but it would keep the pressure off the wastegate. Good idea! I'm going to look for a ported stock exhaust elbow next.

each hole is probably good for a pound of boost, so do one hole at a time and test it.

B

I just drilled 1" holes in the lower air box actually. Just walked in from doing that. Great idea! No need to ship the air box, this one is fine. The 212 is going in my other motor!!! Thanks brotha!

No prob mang.

We'll have to see who's motor makes more power when we get them done being built. Challenge, my good sir?

HAHA!!!! I know yours will make more than mine! BUT.....if the Stage car counts.....I'm in!!!:D

Bob

Bob, I got to thinking, how much boost do you think I'll be safe running with this combo and the 50# injectors? I'm comfortable at or around the 20# mark but do you think it would be safe running more? I've played with a lot of E85 but never anything running full E85 and this small of an injector. Also, one main concern of mine is that I'm not puting any gauges in the car. I'll only run a Scanmaster. I do also plan to eventually sell this car once the restoration is finished so I want it to be 100% safe once it's done. The idea is kind of like, this is how the factory should have done it. Do you think I should get the chip burned for 18# and then play with it to get to 20#? I will use temporary gauges to get the car right but those will be taken out. Sounds stupid but thats just how I want it to be.