Pulled the trigger on a 6466 CEA

Ok, I took the Buick out for it's first long pull. Had the laptop in the car this time. In first gear anything above 1/2 pedal just roasted the drag radials, so it was hard to measure anything in 1st. I did a 2nd gear pull and it pulled harder than ever before. Just crazy fast. I saw a blip of knock so I let out quickly to investigate. After reviewing the pull, I can see why... I'm now out of fuel pump. The single Walbro pump just can't supply enough. The duty cycle started climbing to compensate for the lack of fuel. Gotta love Eric's TT6.0 chip. The wide-band correction feature detected the lean condition and quickly added fuel. Still in the box I have a Kenne-Bell boost-a-pump, so that'll be the next mod. My butt-dyno says this thing is now in the 10's. Woohoo!

VIDS DAMNIT!!!!! You can quote me on this..when my car is running there will be enough go pro vids on youtube to rival the last 15 years of buick vids! I swear I have watched the same 20 vids 1000000 times. I need new viewing material :) Good to hear the butt dyno was pleased...sounds like it was fun ;)

The boost was 20 to 21. I've loosened the RJC boost valve quite a few turns and the boost doesn't want to go below 20. I may have to port the WG a little more (i left it just shy of an inch so it might need to be opened up to one inch). I'd like to get it down to 19 to make an apples-to-apples comparison, and also to be a little 'safer' in regards to being on the edge with 93 octane.

At 4900 RPM the duty cycle was 69%, the AFR was 11.36:1 and the boost was 20 psi. Once the RPMs hit 5000, the duty cycle started to climb quickly (due to the WB correction). At 5100 the duty was 72.9%, AFR was 11.47:1. At 5300 the duty was 81.1%, AFR was 11.88:1. At 5700 the duty was 94.5%, AFR was 11.68:1. The AFR had a target of 11.3:1, so it was clearly out of control. If I didn't have Eric's 6.0 chip, things could of got ugly.

Looking through my log files I found a similar pull with the 6765 turbo for comparison. At 4890 RPM the duty cycle was 59.6%, the AFR was 11.24:1 and the boost was 18.5 psi. Bison I'd love to hear your thoughts on these numbers. HP calculations perhaps... :)

On a side note, I brake boosted to zero psi to check my stall speed. 2600 RPM at zero boost. That's probably why the 6765 didn't spool to my liking.

What drag strip? I own my own drag strip. It's very close to my house. Gotta love rural locations. ;)

Id replace that pump because it should supply enough to run 123-124mph in the quarter with 14v and no boost a pump.
I'm running 13v right now. Not sure what my MPH will be now, but I'd bet close to 125. You think 13 volts should support that? Faulty/tired fuel pump?

I'm running 13v right now. Not sure what my MPH will be now, but I'd bet close to 125. You think 13 volts should support that? Faulty/tired fuel pump?
Just run a wire off the alternator through a relay using key on power as a switch and you can pick up a volt at the pump. 125mph@19psi and a 93 octane timing table? You would be picking up 4mph in the eighth over what you already ran. You only need about .05 off your eighth and an ok hook to run a 10 sec pass. Id try a real late shift if that converter is built for a higher power level than you are running. Your engine should be really strong around 5500.

What is the timing? Usually I'd see about 530-540whp@18psi with gn1 heads and 212 roller with alky/93 timing which would be around 26* at that boost. I would be running a small solid roller with 224-228 duration @.050 with 8:1 CR if i was trying to get as much as I could on 93. The timing table would need to be really soft. I remember about 3 years ago trying to run 14-15psi with my slightly altered alky timing table on 93 and it had some light detonation on a 9.3:1 engine. It made about 500whp@16psi with alky 93 timing. Pretty much need to chop off 4-6* everywhere over the alky turn on point to stop detonation. You are probably around 500whp if you are running 16-17*@20-21psi. About 60whp less than you would be on a alky tune at the same boost.

Installed the Boost-a-pump. Works like a champ! Set the pump voltage to 15v and no more climbing duty cycles. Rain was coming (as usual) so I only got in one good pull. Had to try several times 'cause I kept getting sideways at 70+mph.

Duty cycle is now 64% at 4900 rpm. And 67% at 5100 rpm. 21# of boost. Zero knock. Would like to get the boost down to 19 - 20. I may try running a hose directly to the actuator and see what happens. If that doesn't get it down then I'll have to port the waste gate hole a bit more. I think it's currently 15/16 of an inch.

Here is a pic of the Kenne Bell piece:
IMG_1403.jpg

Timing is 17.3 degrees. Engine is close to 9:1 compression. Zero knock at 21# but it's gotta be close to the edge. I plan on backing it down a bit. Yes, the engine is very strong at 5500 (kept blowing off the tires in second gear at almost 80 mph!). Tranny usually shifts itself between 5200 and 5400. I hold it manually if I want to see 5500 to 5700. Were your tests with the as-cast GN1's or the full CNC version?

sounds very similar to when i first ran the 64billet on mine,my car went 10.91 with a 1/8 of 6.93/100 mph.motor had 19/20 psi with 18 of timing,212/212,9/1 comp,champion iron heads.i ran pump gas /meth with a weight of over 3800 lbs.

i ended up going the volt booster route because i was seeing good numbers and i have the alky but that boosta pump is a sweet peice.

sounds very similar to when i first ran the 64billet on mine,my car went 10.91 with a 1/8 of 6.93/100 mph.motor had 19/20 psi with 18 of timing,212/212,9/1 comp,champion iron heads.i ran pump gas /meth with a weight of over 3800 lbs.
It is a nice piece and very easy to install too. Wow, a 10.91 is super! I need to weigh this car 'cause I've dropped about 130 lbs from it (alum heads, mini starter, rims, alum bumper supports). How long have you had your turbo? Have you run race fuel w/high timing yet? If so, care to share a time slip?

i have the tnetics bb billet 64/68,i have had it a few years.i havent ran it full out just testing and tuning mainly for being repeatedly tossed for 10 sec passes, so mainly 1/8 stuff 6.70's on a 1.57 60ft.on the 28 drag radials and footbrake the car has been 1.52 60ft.my last outing to the track i put on taller drag radials turned the boost up a little and left at 10psi,it hooked hard and broke the rearend, the car never left like that .these new turbo's are no joke seems like the entire drivetrain needs to be addressed.im currently up to 25psi pump gas/alky and the car is really strong,on 100 and dual nozzle i hit 28psi that the wildest ride if had so far but i have no timeslip yet till i finish putting the new rear in.id like to see you put some good gas in yours just from the safety factor as you have some good parts in your car.

The weak link in my car is the rear end. What did you break on yours? I can't imagine how yours must be on the street at 25 psi. Just insane! I was going to upgrade the axles and leave the rest as it is. I do easy launches, like 4 psi. 1.5 - low 1.6 sixty foot. Did you go with a 9 inch?

Just curious what the 6466 sells for? I don't see it listed on any of the vendor's websites yet.

if you plan on leaving hard the axles alone aren't going to hold.i ended up going to a 9 inch 35 spline axles,detroit locker,disk brakes,custom driveshaft.my thought was to spend more and never worry about it,didn't want to spend any more coin on the stocker and still have the possibility of breaking and being back at the same place.at least do an eaton posi and upgrade the spline.my car shattered the rear diff and it took out everything but the case.

I smoked a modded Honda and two motorcycles today. Boost is 22-23# with zero knock. The boost is higher than I want to run. Zero knock at these boost levels is quite impressive although a bit on the edge. We have good 93 octane here! My old combo would only do up to 21# before I had to add a little special sauce. Duty cycles are: 70% at 5200 RPM, and 78% at 5800 RPM. AFR is 11.2 to 1. I wanted to drive to the track last weekend but it rained. Trans temp is getting above 210 so I ordered another cooler and will run it inline with the existing one. I couldn't use the built-in cooler in the radiator because I couldn't find fittings that would make a tight enough 90 turn out of the radiator.

Correct. It's about a 2 hour drive, so I check the weather carefully before making the trip.

Too hot to run this time of year. PBIR is 20 min ride for me but its just too damn hot, Cant wait till October for 70 degree weather:D

Have you tested the stall to see if you build boost at a lower RPM with the 6466? Underhood shot looks clean thanks for the pic...How do you like the champion intake? I recently picked one up but want to have it polished before install.