Pulled the trigger on a 6466 CEA

toomanymodz

I like to have the latest and greatest, so I couldn't resist. The current combo, running a journal bearing 6765 turbo, first time to the track with no tuning has run 11.18 sec in the 1/4 mile at only 18 - 19 psi boost and 18 degrees timing. I'm hoping that this new turbo can knock a tenth and a half to 2 tenths off the ET.

Once I hit my pump gas goal of 10.99 or better, then the next phase will begin, and that is running 110 leaded with around 24# boost. Some would say that would be when the real fun begins, but I have to tell you, right now this Weber engine runs so strong that every time I punch the throttle I am laughing like a mad man.

The track is a 2 hour drive so I don't go there often, but when I do I'll post the results. Stay thirsty my friends.

Cool! What about running a 26 inch tire to get out of the hole quicker since you're only going to be running 120-ish in the 1/4 for a 10.9x? My car (similar to your setup) always picks up a few mph more when I run a 26 vs 28 inch tire. Good luck with the new turbo

I'm currently running a 27 inch tall tire (255/60-15). If I remember correctly, I trap around 5300 RPM, which is close to where this engine likes to be. The car hooks decently at the track but not on the street, and that's something I'd like to nail down. Hoosier 275/60's might be the next item, and perhaps Metco adjustable uppers.

Oh you know it! :) It should arrive next week... and pics will follow. I'll set up all three turbos side by side for a comparo.

Just opened the box and pulled out the new turbo. Wow, what a fine product.
img_1389.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg

Nice. Post some tech here. Remove the housings and post some measurements.

I am not going to lie, I am a little jealous.
Nice pics and video, thanks so much for sharing.

Update: We've been having afternoon T-storms pretty much every day, so I haven't had the Buick out in over a week. My brother visited me from Alabama last week and we installed the new turbo. We took it out real quick for a run around the block, just to make sure everything was tightened up ok. I didn't even have the laptop in the car. I just wanted to make sure all of the piping was secure.

First impressions: This new 6466 CEA spools like I've never seen before. I can see boost at even 1/4 pedal. I push the pedal a bit further and the boost follows it... 5psi, 10psi. With the old 6765, similar test, I would first hear a 'rush of wind', no boost for a short while, then if the pedal was pushed far enough the boost would hit like a hammer. So the 'rubber-band-effect' has been greatly reduced.

We did one or two short WOT blasts. Boost came in quick and went to around 19 1/2 psi, no knock. The tires mostly didn't spin. This surprised me since the old turbo would have it's delay and then the boost would hit like a hammer and blow the tires off. As soon as the weather allows, I plan to do a couple of longer WOT pulls with the laptop recording. I'm going to study the duty cycle to see if it's making more power than before. Traction certainly improved.

I love how I can drive it normal in traffic, just giving it a little bit of pedal and see a couple of pounds of boost right away. The new turbo is working with the engine at all times now. With the old turbo, I'd be on just V6 power most of the time unless I gave it a good 1/3rd pedal, then the boost would come in, often unpredictable, shooting up to 10, 15 psi or more.

I also bought a new toy: 70 Nova. It's got a 523 cubic inch Steve Schmidt motor making almost 750 HP. Tubbed, caged, wheelie bars etc. Just nasty. As of right now, my GN would totally beat it on the street. I plan on running slicks on the Nova, so that may change things.

Not sure when I can take the GN to the track (4 hour round-trip!). It ran 11.18 first time out with the old 6765. Boost was 19 psi and would drop to around 17 when the RPM's climbed. So far the new 6466 seems to hold 19 1/2 steady. I'd expect the car to run 11.0's or a high 10 if everything is perfect. Not too shabby for a true pump gas combo with no Alky. I'll report more as I am able.

Informative update. I'm on the fence on which turbo to go with and this helps. Whats the engine comp ratio? Can you post pics of the engine bay?

Did you consider any other turbo before choosing the 6466, Im undecided between this and the 6766.
Thanks Ed.

Compression is close to 9:1. The 6466 is rated up to 900 HP, which is more than I'll ever use with this combo, so going with the larger 6766 made no sense to me. I considered running a 6262 (already have it on a spare engine, 206/206, stock stroke with ported irons) but I felt that a 6262 wouldn't get me into the high 9's/low 10's which is my long-term goal.

Here is the latest engine pic. Garage was a bit dark so its a little fuzzy:
IMG_1398m.jpg

toomanymodz said:
Compression is close to 9:1. The 6466 is rated up to 900 HP, which is more than I'll ever use with this combo, so going with the larger 6766 made no sense to me. I considered running a 6262 (already have it on a spare engine, 206/206, stock stroke with ported irons) but I felt that a 6262 wouldn't get me into the high 9's/low 10's which is my long-term goal.

Here is the latest engine pic. Garage was a bit dark so its a little fuzzy:

Try to back to back the 6262 and 6466. My guess is that they are within a tenth of each other the way you are running them currently.

If you want even better spoolup, ditch the stock maf. I went 130 mph in the 1/4 with my stock maf, thinking oh that's not a bottleneck. Then I went with a LS7 sensor and 4 inch intake, and it drives 100% better on the street for spoolup with my understalled stroker.

Ok, I took the Buick out for it's first long pull. Had the laptop in the car this time. In first gear anything above 1/2 pedal just roasted the drag radials, so it was hard to measure anything in 1st. I did a 2nd gear pull and it pulled harder than ever before. Just crazy fast. I saw a blip of knock so I let out quickly to investigate. After reviewing the pull, I can see why... I'm now out of fuel pump. The single Walbro pump just can't supply enough. The duty cycle started climbing to compensate for the lack of fuel. Gotta love Eric's TT6.0 chip. The wide-band correction feature detected the lean condition and quickly added fuel. Still in the box I have a Kenne-Bell boost-a-pump, so that'll be the next mod. My butt-dyno says this thing is now in the 10's. Woohoo!

Ok, I took the Buick out for it's first long pull. Had the laptop in the car this time. In first gear anything above 1/2 pedal just roasted the drag radials, so it was hard to measure anything in 1st. I did a 2nd gear pull and it pulled harder than ever before. Just crazy fast. I saw a blip of knock so I let out quickly to investigate. After reviewing the pull, I can see why... I'm now out of fuel pump. The single Walbro pump just can't supply enough. The duty cycle started climbing to compensate for the lack of fuel. Gotta love Eric's TT6.0 chip. The wide-band correction feature detected the lean condition and quickly added fuel. Still in the box I have a Kenne-Bell boost-a-pump, so that'll be the next mod. My butt-dyno says this thing is now in the 10's. Woohoo!
Id replace that pump because it should supply enough to run 123-124mph in the quarter with 14v and no boost a pump.