Premature Walbro Failure

Either something has gone bad in the manufacture of these over the years or your sample of one was a weak contender.

I have a flow graph from Airtex dated 4/4/92 (the scan is too big to attach). It is the 3270 at 13.5 volts. The results they got from their samples averaged from the production line is quite different. It's not very readable so here are the numbers:

psi -- gph
0 60
12 55
32 50
46 45
55 40
61 35
65 30
70 25
72 20
76 15
81 5
85 0

Seems about enough for 420 hp (assuming 100% duty cycle).

those 13.5 numbers are close to my 15 volt numbers------but they fall quite short of a stock TR pump......RC

Has anyone had a pump from Racetronix fail?

All the pumps I've had that failed were the F20000169s (2 from G-body and 1 from Full-Throttle.) I always thought I was ordering Walbro 340s, but always got the 169s. Didn't know the difference till I did some research. The 169 is the pump Walbro recommends for these cars. The 169s have the same internals as the 340, but the inlet is different and may be causing the premature failure issues.

Racetronix still sales the 340 and they seem to be up on all the issues, so I ordered one. The pump I received has some alternative wiring (including an in-tank ground) that I've never received before with a Walbro and suggests cleaning some of the gas tank internal wiring contacts with 400 grit to remove corrosion and prevent future issues.

Any thoughts/opinions on this pump?

Has anyone had a pump from Racetronix fail?

All the pumps I've had that failed were the F20000169s (2 from G-body and 1 from Full-Throttle.) I always thought I was ordering Walbro 340s, but always got the 169s. Didn't know the difference till I did some research. The 169 is the pump Walbro recommends for these cars. The 169s have the same internals as the 340, but the inlet is different and may be causing the premature failure issues.

Racetronix still sales the 340 and they seem to be up on all the issues, so I ordered one. The pump I received has some alternative wiring (including an in-tank ground) that I've never received before with a Walbro and suggests cleaning some of the gas tank internal wiring contacts with 400 grit to remove corrosion and prevent future issues.

Any thoughts/opinions on this pump?

I've had my Walbro/hotwire kit from Racetronix for 3 years, pump is still going strong.
Also from Racetronix's website...
F20000169vs340

well you can add another one to the list. The walbro f2000169 that i bought from my local speed shop about a 1yr ago and it has died too. This pump was in my 91 eagle talon turbo.

I've had my Walbro/hotwire kit from Racetronix for 3 years, pump is still going strong.
Also from Racetronix's website...
F20000169vs340

I think I'll give the new Racetronix 340 a shot then. I'm no expert, but looking at the difference in the size of the inlets side by side, I can see how there could be a problem with the 169. Just a theory but it looks kinda like the 169 is having to suck through a cofee straw vs a regular size straw for the 340 which likely puts a strain on the internals--->premature failure. Of course if this one fails on me that will shoot that theory down. Hopefully I won't have to make another failure post :cool:

I think I'll give the new Racetronix 340 a shot then. I'm no expert, but looking at the difference in the size of the inlets side by side, I can see how there could be a problem with the 169. Just a theory but it looks kinda like the 169 is having to suck through a cofee straw vs a regular size straw for the 340 which likely puts a strain on the internals--->premature failure. Of course if this one fails on me that will shoot that theory down. Hopefully I won't have to make another failure post :cool:

The difference inlet size has nothing to do with the problem.

wasn't there a thread a while back where guys were cutting the very tip off of the inlet or pickup tube or something?

We have a good supply of Walbro 340M pumps with G7X kits in stock for immediate shipment:

RXG7-FPKG

G77-PIK.jpg

Thanks Mike & Jack,

We have a good supply of Walbro 340M pumps with G7X kits in stock for immediate shipment:

RXG7-FPKG

G77-PIK.jpg

I just ordered mine several days ago. I expect the Walbro name to have a little better recent reputation here (via performance=not massive failures),,,not being the ...169 pump wherein Walbro performed their "inlet design changes"

OK guys I am replacing my 340M in the next week or so
What is the final verdict?

I had to replace my 169 to race this weekend in Cecil MD, I went with Racetronix, very nice package. I didn't figure out what the bent paper clip was for, but it was nice to eliminate the one connection in the tank and wire the pump direct to the male spades that are on the hanger. Also included a test wire(alligator clip and male spade) I guess to jump the pump from the engine compartment?? So a big thanks to racetronix for a pump I can use now and a big thanks to Mike at fullthrottlespeed for correcting our 169 problem! My A/F ratio went from 13.6 @ WOT to 10.2 with the new pump, looks like I will be taking some fuel out with the chip :) aww nothing like the feeling of to much fuel !

Chuck

I had to replace my 169 to race this weekend in Cecil MD, I went with Racetronix, very nice package. I didn't figure out what the bent paper clip was for, but it was nice to eliminate the one connection in the tank and wire the pump direct to the male spades that are on the hanger. Also included a test wire(alligator clip and male spade) I guess to jump the pump from the engine compartment?? So a big thanks to racetronix for a pump I can use now and a big thanks to Mike at fullthrottlespeed for correcting our 169 problem! My A/F ratio went from 13.6 @ WOT to 10.2 with the new pump, looks like I will be taking some fuel out with the chip :) aww nothing like the feeling of to much fuel !

Chuck

The Racetronix kit comes with a Walbro!!
Whats the replacement policy in case it dies in a short time?
Who did you buy from?
I was at the Racetronix site but they didn't have a phone# listed so I didn't buy it? Id like to talk to the vender him/her self before id buy one.

The Racetronix kit comes with a Walbro!!
Whats the replacement policy in case it dies in a short time?
Who did you buy from?
I was at the Racetronix site but they didn't have a phone# listed so I didn't buy it? Id like to talk to the vender him/her self before id buy one.

Yes it is a Walbro but the old 340M model, not the current model that ends with _ _ _ 169. which seems to be where all the problems are. I just went through two 169 since June... so now I went with the old school model, it's explained on racetronix website.
Good Luck,

Chuck

Just replaced my F'in...169 yesterday with Walbro GSS340/kit from Racetronix--making it a 340M (machined inlet). Rear tires have not yet hit the ground tho, as I'm installing Air Bags @ same time & have a golf tourney all weekend.

The rubber should hit-the-road monday p.m. tho...

[The paper clip is to remove the wire terminals/clips from the various push-on connectors, when installing the additional ground wire, etc...]

Just replaced my F'in...169 yesterday with Walbro GSS340/kit from Racetronix--making it a 340M (machined inlet). Rear tires have not yet hit the ground tho, as I'm installing Air Bags @ same time & have a golf tourney all weekend.

The rubber should hit-the-road monday p.m. tho...

[The paper clip is to remove the wire terminals/clips from the various push-on connectors, when installing the additional ground wire, etc...]

Cool let us know how it goes.
i still haven't made my mind up between this one (Racetronix) and the supra pump.:confused: