Premature Walbro Failure

an answer to your question------an objective scientific test compared to a "seat of the pants" evaluation ????------i'll take the scientific test every time------are you guys really monitoring your fuel pressure with these pumps ?????-----what kind of power are you really producing-----what size injectors and what is their pulse width-----thats what really determines if the pump is really working for you-------the volume of gas needed to produce a given amount of power is a well quantified number and either it can do it safely or it can't------and there is always the third and absolute worst answer to your question-------perhaps the pump i purchased last night is a "weak" one and some of the guys that have posted about this pump being good got "strong" ones------meaning there is a variation in them and they need to be sorted to find a good one------how good do you feel if thats the answer to your question ??????-------i have no horse in this race but i'd like to know the answer to the apparent walbro problem ------BUT i'm not gonna go out and buy a couple thousand dollars worth of AZ pumps to do a test of their quality and consistency------the $90 i wasted last night was enough for me-------for sale: Turbo Buick forum certified AZ superpump----used only 10 minutes only $70-----get it quick before its gone !!!!!!.............RC

have you tested one of the supra pumps? like the one in this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...262481-280-lph-supra-fuel-pump-installed.html

Thanks RC for conducting that test on the AZ pump.

Eventhough I've had the best data with that pump I am leary to continue to use it based on the test results.

With that in mind, is there any other pump out there that might be able to meet the demands on a consistent basis for about the same price without modification?

fuel pump failiure

Good thing I didnt go to autozone last night and buy the pump!!!!!!! I would realy like to know something bout these damn walbro pumps cuz i am on pump number two now. I know this one is going to give out also but it kinda sucks to have all this money dumped in my car and not be able to run it because of a crappy pump!! The one I bought is an airtex pump from advance auto and i cant go past 16 lbs! THIS SUCKS!!!!!!! It felt like i was going backwards!:mad:

fuel pump!

Well I aint an expert like alot of you guys are. I cant run tests and all that like you guys do, but I can tell you that i was running 22lbs boost with erics chip with 25-23 timing, with the walbro and never had a problem. Now i have that airtex pump from advance and I cant get higher than like 16 , if i do I get crazy KR. Maybe cuz the guys that are running those pumps have bigger injectors and probably run more base fuel, I dont know but I cant do it anymore! Like i said before i got another pump from walbro and we will see how long this one lasts. I got like 3000 miles out of the last one. I guess I will change pumps at every oil change!LOL:biggrin:

Damn..thought maybe we had an answer to this situation...i too, have my hot rod parked. my KR has slowly been rising for a few month now. I have a very old 340 walbro that should be replaced anyway. #s dont lie though.Im not waiting much longer as cold weather is coming and i park mine in the winter. So....i have an inline bosch pump on the shelf...big sob..maybe 5" long and 3" wide, #s on it are 0 580 254 942. My friend said it got hit TR in the 11s. way back. My thought was to put it inline and make a second switch to turn it on before a blast..or maybe just keep it live fulltime..just concerned about all that draw?? oh and RC..thanks very much for your efforts, as i too was on my way to a/zone for the E3270. Also M Licht in case noone has said it ..we all appriciate very much your time and involvment...you very easily could say "oh well" and sell 600$ magna flows and say, "this is it boys" :cool:

Hey guys got my walbro kit from full throttle on 3-25-08 and finally installed it on 5-12-08 so that makes it about 4 months old! Took a trip with the family to naples this weekend and barely getting out of alligator alley, DEAD PUMP!!!!!!!!!! I cranked the FPR all the way down and managed to drive to a hotel 11 miles away 3-4 miles at a time allowing the pump to cool in between! My great friend NO NOS packed up his truck that same night and drove up with jacks, tools, lights, etc and helped me change the pump. THANK YOU AGAIN NO NOS! I had to buy the crappy replacement pump from advance auto to be able to get home!

Will full throttle do anything for us?

anytime bud, just glad you and your family were able to reach a safe zone, aligator alley is not the safest place to be at night. by what i see there's a whole mess of people with pump issues, well one good thing is, that you purchased the pump from one of this boards most stand-up vendors. he'll get to the bottom of this. nice work there -SLOGN- good info we all need. well done bud.

Ive now joined the dead pump club...made it bout 2k

Died about 60 miles from home, beat the tank, drove for awhile, beat the tank again, prayed some...drove some

anyway, made it home

While I indicated my 2-yr old (purchase) Walbro 340 had just failed---it was only installed for about 1 1/2 yrs & 3500 miles.

I found my old pump (a BGC dated 11/95) and am halfway thinking about reinstalling it in the interim---BUT I really don't want to now reinstall/have a pump in there that had already been used for 11 years. It was, however, working fine when I replaced it--which I did as I was told it was a "new Factory pump" when I had purchased the car (lie no. 5 by PO). As I was getting prepared for alky, I wanted more than the "stock pump"---plus be sure I had a "new one"...

As I understand it, this BGC (Bowling Green Corp) pump was/is essentially a Walbro 307--can anyone verify this for me???

[P.S. I too was thinking about the Denso Toyota Supra Turbo pump. Does anyone have one of these they could perhaps impose upon Richard Clark (once again) to test as a possible replacement for our defective Walbros?]

The AZ/AAP/Airtex E3270 clearly failed the scientific lab test.

The question I have is how and why in a real life application can I have the same setup where the only difference is the fuel pump and get no KNR with the airtex vs 1.2 KNR with a Walbro at 20 PSI boost and all other variables the same (FP at 43 PSI hose off, 60 lb/hr injectors, SMC alky on at 5 PSI max 15 PSI, K&N 9" cone)?

The AZ/AAP/Airtex E3270 clearly failed the scientific lab test.

The question I have is how and why in a real life application can I have the same setup where the only difference is the fuel pump and get no KNR with the airtex vs 1.2 KNR with a Walbro at 20 PSI boost and all other variables the same (FP at 43 PSI hose off, 60 lb/hr injectors, SMC alky on at 5 PSI max 15 PSI, K&N 9" cone)?

That's an easy one---good/new Airtex vs. defective Walbro:cool:

More fuel questions!!!!

What if I run the airtex 3270 in the tank with like a bosh 0 560 254 957 pump inline on a hob switch or a manual switch? Will the bosh ever starve because the other pump is nothing special? Will it work safely and give me enough fuel pressure? I need ideas guys cuz the first time I got lucky but if what happenned to me at aligator alley happens halfway down the track at full boost, I hate to even think of what would happen!!! I saw the post about the supra 280lph pump but thats a little more modifying than what I would like to do!

While I indicated my 2-yr old (purchase) Walbro 340 had just failed---it was only installed for about 1 1/2 yrs & 3500 miles.

I found my old pump (a BGC dated 11/95) and am halfway thinking about reinstalling it in the interim---BUT I really don't want to now reinstall/have a pump in there that had already been used for 11 years. It was, however, working fine when I replaced it--which I did as I was told it was a "new Factory pump" when I had purchased the car (lie no. 5 by PO). As I was getting prepared for alky, I wanted more than the "stock pump"---plus be sure I had a "new one"...

As I understand it, this BGC (Bowling Green Corp) pump was/is essentially a Walbro 307--can anyone verify this for me???

[P.S. I too was thinking about the Denso Toyota Supra Turbo pump. Does anyone have one of these they could perhaps impose upon Richard Clark (once again) to test as a possible replacement for our defective Walbros?]

somebody give me the EXACT part # for this pump and i will get one and test it....RC

...What if I run the airtex 3270 in the tank with like a bosh 0 560 254 957 pump inline on a hob switch or a manual switch? Will the bosh ever starve because the other pump is nothing special? Will it work safely and give me enough fuel pressure? I need ideas guys cuz the first time I got lucky but if what happenned to me at aligator alley happens halfway down the track at full boost, I hate to even think of what would happen!!! I saw the post about the supra 280lph pump but thats a little more modifying than what I would like to do!

I haven't seen one fail at full boost or really under much of a load at all of late. Anyone else seen one fail under full boost??? If this has or had happened I would think the engine would have blown. Anyone had that experience? I hope not...

Most of the time they quit when they've been under a load for a period of time and then that is reduced. Don't know if that has to do with the amount of voltage to the pump or ???, but 2 of the ones that I've had fail seemed to still have a range where they would still work. Mostly mid range. If you tried to accelerate the car would cough or if you slowed down to a stop it would quit. Middle range was fine. For example cruising along at 70 MPH for 15 minutes, taking an exit that has a stop sign/light at the end coming to a complete stop and then the engine will die usually before you reach a complete stop. Turn your hazard lights on and prepare to piss off a good number of people cause you'r blocking an entire lane of traffic. At least you look good doing it since you're in a Turbo Regal or Grand National. Let it cool off for 15-20 mins and it may or may not crank back. If it does, you better not stop again until you get home cause it will likely not crank back...

I would consider a Supra pump too if it wasn't >$200 and require a good bit of modification such as cutting the fuel pump opening on your gas tank to make it fit:eek:

I haven't seen one fail at full boost or really under much of a load at all of late. Anyone else seen one fail under full boost??? If this has or had happened I would think the engine would have blown. Anyone had that experience? I hope not...

Most of the time they quit when they've been under a load for a period of time and then that is reduced. Don't know if that has to do with the amount of voltage to the pump or ???, but 2 of the ones that I've had fail seemed to still have a range where they would still work. Mostly mid range. If you tried to accelerate the car would cough or if you slowed down to a stop it would quit. Middle range was fine. For example cruising along at 70 MPH for 15 minutes, taking an exit that has a stop sign/light at the end coming to a complete stop and then the engine will die usually before you reach a complete stop. Turn your hazard lights on and prepare to piss off a good number of people cause you'r blocking an entire lane of traffic. At least you look good doing it since you're in a Turbo Regal or Grand National. Let it cool off for 15-20 mins and it may or may not crank back. If it does, you better not stop again until you get home cause it will likely not crank back...

I would consider a Supra pump too if it wasn't >$200 and require a good bit of modification such as cutting the fuel pump opening on your gas tank to make it fit:eek:

Mine was fine if I kept going. As soon as I got in stop and go traffic, it would die. If I let it idle on the driveway, it would die. I'm affraid to drive my car long distances because who knows when my new one will crap out.

I would consider a Supra pump too if it wasn't >$200 and require a good bit of modification such as cutting the fuel pump opening on your gas tank to make it fit:eek:[/QUOTE]

Well not to step on your toes honestly, as people say i am a nut & i am trying to be funny here, but your spending over $200 considering the pump itself & the time spent messing with the walbro........

However for the supra pump -- i may be wrong but i thought he said to bend the opening, slide the pump in, then bend it back to original form.(post #7) seems simple enough & if it works and hold up definately worth it in my opinion.:biggrin:

somebody give me the EXACT part # for this pump and i will get one and test it....RC

Richard,

The pump(kit) referenced herein is Denso 950-0155 from SparkPlugs.com at $203.63...the pump alone is 951-0014, and is $202.37...and, the filter alone is 952-0029 at $11.98...I would appear the smart buy would certainly be the "kit"--getting the filter, hose & more for the additional $1.26 over the pump alone!!??

The PartsTrain.com source posted above appears to be very confusing and far from providing the "exact info" I'd want to order from--and more $$ too...

Many, many thanks for your past and ongoing help for our survival in the turbo buicks world,,,

Monte