Premature Walbro Failure

Richard,

The pump(kit) referenced herein is Denso 950-0155 from SparkPlugs.com at $203.63...the pump alone is 951-0014, and is $202.37...and, the filter alone is 952-0029 at $11.98...I would appear the smart buy would certainly be the "kit"--getting the filter, hose & more for the additional $1.26 over the pump alone!!??

The PartsTrain.com source posted above appears to be very confusing and far from providing the "exact info" I'd want to order from--and more $$ too...

Many, many thanks for your past and ongoing help for our survival in the turbo buicks world,,,

Monte

went to a couple sites---------one said that "actual product may vary"------another wanted a vin# and year----------if you can help me find a "buyer friendly" site and tell me the year and info on the car i will be glad to buy one of these critters and test it...............RC

What if I run the airtex 3270 in the tank with like a bosh 0 560 254 957 pump inline on a hob switch or a manual switch?

The intank wont be able to push through the external. You need to run them both all the time. This was common back in the day. Almost EVERYONE did this. Will it shorten the life of your intank pump? Yes, it will.. but it works.

Its on my list of things to do to fabricate a setup for the Bosch intank pump. Like I said in the Supra thread, if someone wants to send me an NA hanger and a Bosch pump, Ill turn my fab guy loose on it and make it happen if theyre willing to pay for his time. Once we get this race car project out of the way and I can concentrate on doing stuff that doesnt pay the bills, Ill look into it myself if no one steps up before then.

The intank wont be able to push through the external. You need to run them both all the time. This was common back in the day. Almost EVERYONE did this. Will it shorten the life of your intank pump? Yes, it will.. but it works.

Its on my list of things to do to fabricate a setup for the Bosch intank pump. Like I said in the Supra thread, if someone wants to send me an NA hanger and a Bosch pump, Ill turn my fab guy loose on it and make it happen if theyre willing to pay for his time. Once we get this race car project out of the way and I can concentrate on doing stuff that doesnt pay the bills, Ill look into it myself if no one steps up before then.

Jay I have plenty of hangers here if you need some.

D__n Fuel Pump Issue!!!!!!!!!

Well guys I bought a pump from someon here on the board that is about a year old. I bought it cuz as far as I can see this problem got real big as of may of this year. Alot of people have mentioned this problem being the whole chinese pump infiltration, so I figured an older one for 40 bucks might be worth it! Now I am not too sure on this pump cuz the the guy that had it dremeled alot of the numbers of!:mad: (why I dont know, under investigation) Anyways there are some differences in the pumps. The pump that failed has a white bottom and even though its supposed to be a 255 lph the pickup opening is smaller than on the pump I just purchased! Granted it is still larger than a stock replacement pump. Also the way the pumps are engraved is very different. This could all be cuz this is an older pump but it could also be cuz one is a real walbro and the other is a knock off! I will try to post pics!:confused:

I too think it will be a single sub-part that is made "abroad" that previously was US made. Globalism is here. It is almost getting some of us killed.
Ethanol cant be helping the plastics live any better, but that would apply to all applications.

Full throttle response yet???

Just chimin in to see if anyone has heard from full throttle yet about our issue! Mike hope you have been able to dig something up. Please dontr forget us!

went to a couple sites---------one said that "actual product may vary"------another wanted a vin# and year----------if you can help me find a "buyer friendly" site and tell me the year and info on the car i will be glad to buy one of these critters and test it...............RC

Richard, If you specify a 1998 Toyota Supra (Twin-Turbo), VIN E, Engine code 2JZGTE, I would think you'd have info necessary ordering from any site--for the pump under discussion here.

Better yet, I'll buy the Denso 950-0155 (complete kit) from you after you're done testing--just ship all to me--[just please don't pay more than the $203.63 as listed by SparkPlugs.com]...

I'm still "dead in the water" (actually driveway) w/ my defective Walbro and am anxiously awaiting a viable replacement--which I feel (hope) "this Denso" will be...

Thanks,,, Monte

Richard, If you specify a 1998 Toyota Supra (Twin-Turbo), VIN E, Engine code 2JZGTE, I would think you'd have info necessary ordering from any site--for the pump under discussion here.

Better yet, I'll buy the Denso 950-0155 (complete kit) from you after you're done testing--just ship all to me--[just please don't pay more than the $203.63 as listed by SparkPlugs.com]...

I'm still "dead in the water" (actually driveway) w/ my defective Walbro and am anxiously awaiting a viable replacement--which I feel (hope) "this Denso" will be...

Thanks,,, Monte

give me a call when you get a chance------336-229-5554

Along the "misc info" line:
Was talking to my EFI parts supplier, about o'rings.
[I need some for the newer model Siemens in the LS engines.]
Seems there is some question as to why Siemens has gone to elastomer rings. He suggested that the newer fuels w/ alky in it, may be the reason for the switch.[Also, for the Flexfuel engines].
I'm wondering if the alky is killing the pumps? [I see alot more stations w/ the 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps.]
NE1 w/ input?

Along the "misc info" line:
Was talking to my EFI parts supplier, about o'rings.
[I need some for the newer model Siemens in the LS engines.]
Seems there is some question as to why Siemens has gone to elastomer rings. He suggested that the newer fuels w/ alky in it, may be the reason for the switch.[Also, for the Flexfuel engines].
I'm wondering if the alky is killing the pumps? [I see alot more stations w/ the 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps.]
NE1 w/ input?

In Chicago we've had 10% ethanol since the early 90's I believe, and my old walbro is just starting to go. My old pump is about 6-7 years old so I don't think the 10% ethanol is the killer.

I conducted a test of the autozone E3270 fuel pump that some have gave good reviews about in this thread. So myself and Richard Clark flow tested this pump earlier tonite. I was going into this test with a open mind but having my doubts on it really being a quality performance fuel pump.

We didn't test the the amp draw on this pump for the fact of the pump didn't flow well enuff int he first test session to warrant anymore testing of it.

@ 12 volts of regulated power.

30psi--34GPH 40psi--28.5GPH 50psi--23GPH 60psi--16GPH 70psi--4.5GPH

@ 13 volts of regulated power

30psi--40GPH 40psi--36GPH 50psi--28GPH 60psi--22GPH 70psi--13GPH

@ 14 volts of regulated power

30psi--44GPH 40psi--39GPH 50psi--33GPH 60psi--28GPH 70psi--20.5

@ 15 volts of regulated power for those with a volt booster

30psi--48GPH 40psi--42GPH 50psi--38GPH 60psi--32.5GPH 70psi--23.5

Either something has gone bad in the manufacture of these over the years or your sample of one was a weak contender.

I have a flow graph from Airtex dated 4/4/92 (the scan is too big to attach). It is the 3270 at 13.5 volts. The results they got from their samples averaged from the production line is quite different. It's not very readable so here are the numbers:

psi -- gph
0 60
12 55
32 50
46 45
55 40
61 35
65 30
70 25
72 20
76 15
81 5
85 0

Seems about enough for 420 hp (assuming 100% duty cycle).

Just chimin in to see if anyone has heard from full throttle yet about our issue! Mike hope you have been able to dig something up. Please dontr forget us!

You do not have to worry about that, I have lots of time invested in this. I have some peliminary info from them but cannot share it yet. We are working out a few more details now but Walbro has assured me that everyone will be taken care of. As soon as I get the go ahead I will post up the details.
Thanks for you patience
Mike

pump

Got that older walbro in there last night and got on it today, Runs ok but have some knock which I never had with the walbro that went bad so gonna try to fine tune tomorrow! Its kinda weird but I think its cuz now the fuel preasure is to high! When I got that crappy pump from advance auto, I had to adjust the regulator and now with this pump its like at 42 line on and 47 line off! My millivolts were always like 770-790 no at full throttle its like 828! I read somewhere on here before that too much fuel will also give knock! We will see tomorrow!

upslp, try to post the picture you sent me, those 2 fuel pumps were'nt even close in size. send the pics to my if you can download them from your phone.
be patient bud, these things take time but mike's on the case. :cool: