Premature Walbro Failure

t-topflyer

I've been left stranded twice now because of Walbro Fuel Pump failure in 2 different turbo buicks. The first one failed after about 6 months. The second one after about 2 years. I'm not sure if the pumps are just plain bad, or if it is something with the car or the way I am driving to cause it to do this. I've had no problems with factory pumps. They've worked for 20+ years and seem to keep doing so even with my driving. Has anyone else has experienced this and if so what has been done to prevent it in the future short of dropping the tank and replacing the pump every 6 mos to 2 years?

Stock fuel pumps do not have to endure high boost launches that uncover the pump and briefly, allows the pump to run dry. Maybe the fuel level is allowed to stay below the 1/4 tank mark. Maybe you were just freakin' unlucky and got pumps that were bad.

I've been left stranded twice now because of Walbro Fuel Pump failure in 2 different turbo buicks. The first one failed after about 6 months. The second one after about 2 years. I'm not sure if the pumps are just plain bad, or if it is something with the car or the way I am driving to cause it to do this. I've had no problems with factory pumps. They've worked for 20+ years and seem to keep doing so even with my driving. Has anyone else has experienced this and if so what has been done to prevent it in the future short of dropping the tank and replacing the pump every 6 mos to 2 years?

Hell you got a lifetime of use out of yours at 6 months and 2 years compared to mine. i also had 2 TR's that I installed new walbro 340's in. One lasted 5-6 days, the other lasted just shy of 3 weeks!!!!!!

Hi,
This is unsettling. Walbro is an OE manufacturer. A bunch of their pumps, in very mundane applications, live for over 200K miles.
Is it possible you have installed bootleg pumps? The Chinese are doing this,and there Ain't a hell of a lot we can do about it,either. Even the highly reputable vendors are having to watch their supplies.
Good luck, keep us informed!
Dale

I was advised that the Walbro pump should be replaced every season (or every other season, I can't remember which) if you drag race it. It's probably not bad advise. I would hate to have one go bad half way down the track at WOT.

I lazy though, I'll probably just wait until mine goes bad.

I'm a victim too. My Walbro (340) "269" pump only lasted 1 year.

It was not delivering consistant flow. The fuel psi gauge was bouncing all over the place, would not rise above 55psi even at WOT...

I was lucky to get a hold of a good Walbro pump that was several years old. Problems gone, works great.

The chinese are ruining everything...and our govt is letting it happen.:mad:

Holley should be able to do something about them knocking off their products.

These cars have never been to the track. Just routine driving. Putting it back together as we speak. Fortunately I always keep a spare pump on hand just in case.

This happened to me MANY Years before China Pumps were around. Talking a good 12-15 years ago. Went thru 3 in a summer. Since I added about a million grounds including a better one right off the pump, then tank to frame & body, then about 3 more up front I have never toasted one again. I do change about every 3-4 years cuz I race. I think the good ground from pump & the tank grounds (like in Racetronix kit) is very important but its JMO of course.

So are the Walbro pumps knock offs of the Holley pumps? Or vice versa? I noticed they're literally identical.

I remember several years ago some one said that the Holley pumps are relabeled Walbro pumps so if that's true it's the same pump with a higher price.

HTH
David

I remember several years ago some one said that the Holley pumps are relabeled Walbro pumps so if that's true it's the same pump with a higher price.

HTH
David

That is true, Walbro makes pumps for Holley.

Well that's a relief. For a while I was beginning to wonder if a $167 Holley was better than a $99 Walbro, going by the "you get what you pay for" motto....

Mine has been working okay since about 2 summers ago. But I have been hearing more and more about these pumps failing. I barely drive my car though.

I do not know of any Turbo Buick vendor selling knock off pumps. I can say for sure that Racetronix and us both use genuine Walbro product. Main cause of pump failures is: sucking air, dirt, alky and low voltage. Most od the pumps that come back so one or more signs of one of these problems when I have Walbro check them.

I went through two 340 pumps in two years. Finally got around to installing a hotwire kit and a good ground and all is good 3 years later.

I grinded a place on the frame and attached the ground with a bolt and external tooth lockwasher.

Probably a stupid question, but where exactly am I running the ground wire from the frame to, and do I have to drop the tank again to do this?

Probably a stupid question, but where exactly am I running the ground wire from the frame to, and do I have to drop the tank again to do this?

Ground the tank to the frame. I drilled a hole in the flap part of the tank on the corner. Bolted a thick gage (10g) wire to it. Ran it to the frame.

The pump is grounded inside the tank.

you should not have to drop the tank for this.