Precisions new lineup

Here is a link to some compressor maps for the TA49/TE44 compressor wheel, with mass air flow numbers overlaid. At hp levels in the mid 300's, the compressor will be right in its efficiency island. At hp levels approaching 500, the turbo is not very efficient. But, having made some passes at that power level, it does work.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?posts/2975469

I had a stock D5 converter when I first installed my TA49. There was a little lag, but not bad at all. With a looser converter and exhaust, I felt compelled to install a freer flowing PTE exhaust housing, and it still spools very fast.

I would assume that a 5858 would perform similarly.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A ta49 and te44 use a 58mm wheel so the 5858 is a direct replacement. The difference between the 5857 and 5858 is that both wheels on the 5858 are cea/mfs instead of just the compressor on the 5857.
How does the 5858/5857 compare to the 5831 since GBody told me this was a replacement for the TE44/TA49? ks

How does the 5858/5857 compare to the 5831 since GBody told me this was a replacement for the TE44/TA49? ks

The te44 and ta49 max out because of restriction on the exhaust side. The compressor still has room and that's why the 5858, in theory, should flow more when maxed out as both compressor and turbine are more efficient. It was stated earlier that a te44 wasn't efficient at 500hp but it is still efficient on the compressor side, just not the turbine side. Expect close to 3:1 pressure ratio on a maxed out te44. I can't tell you what pressure ratio a 5858 would be at this same hp level but I'd expect it to be lower with the more efficient turbine. At a 3:1 pressure ratio, I'd think it's closer to 600hp and that jives with the rating of the turbo. Making the engine take the flow without knock is the real challenge.

At lower than maxed out power levels, I'd expect a 5858 to perform just like if not better than a 44/49 from the better wheels. Can't comment on lag but it should be similar.

At lower than maxed out power levels, I'd expect a 5858 to perform just like if not better than a 44/49 from the better wheels. Can't comment on lag but it should be similar.

I guess my question is what's the difference between the 5831 and 5858. ks

The 5831 has cast wheels and the 5858 has the cea/mfs wheels on both ends. Mfs= manufactured from solid as in cnc instead of cast and thus more efficient at moving air as the design is more efficient.

In simpler terms, the 5858 is just a better te44/ta49...

They both use 58mm compressors.

The 31 turbine is the old 11 blade, the 57 is the F1 10 blade replacement, and the 58 is the Precision replacement for the 57f1(which is a Turbonetics). I may be wrong, I haven't followed the "small" stuff. probably not enough of a difference to worry about unless you are trapping 120+. Everybody stresses over the latest and greatest, but most will see 0 gain over the old school stuff.

"Just to set the record straight, our CEA compressor wheels are CNC machined billet aluminum alloy.

Our CEA turbine wheels are still casted, however the difference is our engineers have utilized the same Competition Engineered Aerodynamic design principles as we used on the compressor wheels, to create a more efficient turbine wheel.

HTH

Patrick"

Here is an quote from Patrick. It seems the cea turbine wheels are cast but undergo Precision Turbo's (patented) cea design principals.

Lots of good reading here, and at the risk of every Bison and Precision supporter hating me, how does the cheetah turbonetics turbos compare to the 5858 and the mfs5957? Is the stage 1 cheetah the competition for the 5858cea and the mfs59

I got the 6766 cea ported h cover can't wait to see how it does win I get my engine done.

Attachments

• 1373233378716.jpg
    1373233378716.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 309
I would not use a 5858 with a stock converter. I put one on a car with a classic pink precision vigilante and it worked well. That turbo's sweet when on the right combo.

Not bad at all with the Garrett .63 on it. Spools quicker than a 44 or 49 once the housing is swapped

Since I run 1/8 mile I will probably go to a smaller housing just see how it goes and works with my converter

Hmmm no one has comments on the Turbonetics cheetahs?

You could be a pioneer! But you know what they say about pioneers don't you?

They get arrows in their butts...

Here is a link to some compressor maps for the TA49/TE44 compressor wheel, with mass air flow numbers overlaid. At hp levels in the mid 300's, the compressor will be right in its efficiency island. At hp levels approaching 500, the turbo is not very efficient. But, having made some passes at that power level, it does work.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?posts/2975469

I had a stock D5 converter when I first installed my TA49. There was a little lag, but not bad at all. With a looser converter and exhaust, I felt compelled to install a freer flowing PTE exhaust housing, and it still spools very fast.

I would assume that a 5858 would perform similarly.

So here's what I'm gathering about the 5858, it will not support 600+ hp on our 231 v6. It will maybe support 600+HP on a1.8L 4 cyl because the 4 cyl requires less mass air flow than the 6cyl. The 5858/5857 will more likely support @450hp on our stock 231 v6 because the 6 cyl requires more air flow. My last thought is the 5857/5858 is not too big for a stock231 buick v6 and is a very good upgrade from stock, Precision could maybe make their HP claims a little more clear for simpletons like me to prevent the expectation of bolting on the 5858 cea and being able to pump out 600+ HP if you can spool it up. Btw Bison appearently offers the mfs59 which will match HP output of the 5857/5858 but will spool up much better due to the Garrett ex housing. But I still wanna know how the cheetahs compare to these other turbos, lots of money on the line to not research all the choices available

Best spooling option is Bisons turbo. Best power option is the 5858. Best balance of both worlds is the take a 5858 and send it to Bison for a exhaust housing swap to the garret .63. The cheetah thing... I would contact Jack Cotton at Cottons performance for an honest answer cause he has sold a ton of turbonetics units.