Precisions new lineup

GMTECH12002

So I'm looking at the 5857e in the list and its HP rating is like 605, is this correct, and is it more than the 5957e and the 5962e because of the billet compressor wheel

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So I'm looking at the 5857e in the list and its HP rating is like 605, is this correct, and is it more than the 5957e and the 5962e because of the billet compressor wheel

Precision now sells a 5858 instead. I think it's rated at 620hp

Yep there's a billet TA58 and a billet PT5858. Different compressor covers and very small difference in ratings. Check it out on their website.

So obviously the ta58 and the 5858 are awesome when used for 600 horse applications but how efficient will they work with a 3-400 horse application. Will there be considerable lag, will there flow characteristics be just as good at this lower output? Reason I ask is if the 5858 replaces the ta49 with @ 100 more horsepower capable will it be as efficient as the ta49, I wanna upgrade my stock turbo, but I don't wanna over kill in the turbo

Run a cheap used 49 until you build the motor. I have had 2 TA-49s on restalled D5 converters and was very happy at 25-26psi boost. The 5858 is a nice piece if you don't want to upgrade turbos again in the future, but I have no experience with it. Dave will be able to tell you here soon. Pretty sure his motor is stock.....for now;)
If your looking for 10.80's then I would think the 5858 will get there with less boost than the 49.

Just took it for the first drive. Spool up is decent. I was able to hit 10 psi on the foot brake pretty quick. As I drive it more I'll keep updating. I'm dealing with a tip in stumble right now. As soon as I clear that up it should help too.

Run a cheap used 49 until you build the motor. I have had 2 TA-49s on restalled D5 converters and was very happy at 25-26psi boost. The 5858 is a nice piece if you don't want to upgrade turbos again in the future, but I have no experience with it. Dave will be able to tell you here soon. Pretty sure his motor is stock.....for now;)
If your looking for 10.80's then I would think the 5858 will get there with less boost than the 49.

I've got the DBB 5857 with 4" S ported shroud & am happy with it. I picked this turbo because I wanted a quick spooling turbo and run a tight converter so there's little to no lag.....I drive it on the street so I want instant throttle response.

Basically its an upgraded TA49/TE44 with billet wheel & ball bearings so it spools up quick. From my understanding all these billet wheeled turbos really shine when you've got the boost turned up...so maybe at 27-30# it will outperform the old school turbos , but at low boost levels doubt you'll notice much difference.

I've got the DBB 5857 with 4" S ported shroud & am happy with it. I picked this turbo because I wanted a quick spooling turbo and run a tight converter so there's little to no lag.....I drive it on the street so I want instant throttle response.

Basically its an upgraded TA49/TE44 with billet wheel & ball bearings so it spools up quick. From my understanding all these billet wheeled turbos really shine when you've got the boost turned up...so maybe at 27-30# it will outperform the old school turbos , but at low boost levels doubt you'll notice much difference.
is the dbb option well worth the money?

So obviously the ta58 and the 5858 are awesome when used for 600 horse applications but how efficient will they work with a 3-400 horse application. Will there be considerable lag, will there flow characteristics be just as good at this lower output? Reason I ask is if the 5858 replaces the ta49 with @ 100 more horsepower capable will it be as efficient as the ta49, I wanna upgrade my stock turbo, but I don't wanna over kill in the turbo

400rwhp would be close to 475 fly wheel. Judging by similar garrett compressor like the gt3076r, 400rwhp would put you pretty close if not center of the island on the compressor map. They also carry a 5557 that may work for 400rwhp. I'm not a big fan of precision techs when it comes to v6 engines or else I'd advise you call and speak with them, so I'd wait for one of the turbo gurus to chime in on this thread.

Just looking at the charts in the sticky, one would assume the 5857 would be the direct replacement for the ta49 but after digging some, it's looking like the 5857 or now the 5858 is more like about2-3 stages bigger than stock. Does that sound bout right? Good thing to research for a newbie like me other wise a person could spend 1000-1500 on a turbo that's too big for a stock motor and converter, then be very unhappy with Precision turbo for the confusion, am I right? Maybe that chart should include the ta52 and ta55 for newbs like me or the 5557

But then i read about billet wheels and it looks like a billet 5858 should spool like a ta49 but also support much more horsepower than the old tech ta49, which in my mind is why precision would wanna discontinue the ta49, cause who would buy the 49 when you can get low end spooling with 600+HP out of the new technology billet wheel 5858, looks like I'm rattling on, but this is what's going on in my head with $1600 on the table for the billet bb5858! Who's got a thought on this

I sold my ta49 and replaced it with the cea 5557 with the garret .63 AR, custom made from bison. It will spool quicker and have more available power as the psi is raised. Just like all turbo run out of steam at some point. I haven't got my car together to run it, but from what i understand is that as technology continues to move forward with these turbines, the old "in with the new and out with old" saying makes more sense.

I would like to hear from Bison on all this, could someone page him

Replied via PM. Keep in mind that turbos support mass flow. They dont make power. They only support it. Comparing mass flow on different types of engines isnt very easy for most. One engine is 1.8l and makes 630hp with a 58mm inducer turbo when the engine is built to ge tthe most out of it. That same turbo on a larger engine wont make the same hp since the mass flow available will be used up much sooner in the rpm range. Double the displacement and have the same mass efficiency and you cut the rpm in half where the turbine speed is the same. This will show up as less power but still very close to the same mass flow. 550 ft lbs/min equals one hp. Knowing the torque or hp at any rpm hp can be calculated.

I tried to purchase a TA49 last year from Gbody and was told that it was discontinued and that the 5831 was the replacement for theTE44/TA49 turbos so this is what I got. So, the question I have is which turbo is closer to the TE44/TA49 turbos? The 5858/5857/etc seem to be a lot more turbo and a lot more $$ to be the replacement. I have a feeling that people may be mis-informed about these new turbo sizes and inadvertantly buy a too large turbo for their application. I don't want to put Dave on the spot but it may help if he can give us a rundown on what motor combo each of these turbos prefer which may help others. ks

I tried to purchase a TA49 last year from Gbody and was told that it was discontinued and that the 5831 was the replacement for theTE44/TA49 turbos so this is what I got. So, the question I have is which turbo is closer to the TE44/TA49 turbos? The 5858/5857/etc seem to be a lot more turbo and a lot more $$ to be the replacement. I have a feeling that people may be mis-informed about these new turbo sizes and inadvertantly buy a too large turbo for their application. I don't want to put Dave on the spot but it may help if he can give us a rundown on what motor combo each of these turbos prefer which may help others. ks
This is what I'm am trying to say, it looks like the 5858 maybe just a little too big for a stock converter 231 buick but the chart shows it to be the direct replacement for the ta49

I would not use a 5858 with a stock converter. I put one on a car with a classic pink precision vigilante and it worked well. That turbo's sweet when on the right combo.

A ta49 and te44 use a 58mm wheel so the 5858 is a direct replacement. The difference between the 5857 and 5858 is that both wheels on the 5858 are cea/mfs instead of just the compressor on the 5857. Either should work as well with a stock converter as a te44 which is not ideal but still pretty good. I used my te44 with stock converter for over one year until I got my vig. It was fine on the street but the te44 needed a converter to spool more than 4-5psi at the track. The vig is overkill for my te44 but it spools instantly. The ta49 works better with stock converter or a te44 with Garret exhaust housing; I use the precision housing so a little more converter was needed. The 5858, 5857, te44, or ta49 should all work the same on a mild car, but the newer 5858 should max out at a higher flow rate because of the more efficient wheels. Basically, you won't notice much of a difference between all of them until you wire your wastegate shut. And the HP ratings are at the crank. My te44 maxes out at about 450rwhp, even though it's rated higher in crank HP, with the gate wired shut on my motor as noted in sig. The boost level that this flow rate occurs varies by engine setup but the flow will be the same no matter what. I'd like to see what a 5858 would do with gate wired shut all else equal on my car but I'll probably never find out. I'm going 6466bb on my new motor. That'll support all of my street and track aspirations!