Precision 6262 or 6266

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will discuss turbo choice with Dusty next week when I put in the order for my ptc 9.5". Not really being told there is any difference I think I'll lean toward a 6266 with an "E" cover so I will know it'll bolt up the same as my 5831 "E" cover does. I saw the "S" cover sits low and I'm guessing with the pte slic I would have to modify the brackets to make it fit right.

Hey Brandon,

I have the Precision SLIC & I am running a 5857 with S Ported cover (4") & a 3 1/2" MAF pipe....it fits easily with no issues. I did install the IAC Angle Boss relocation kit though to make it easier .

dave

Last edited:
I haven't done anything different to my car other than change the turbo....Going to see what happens at Norwalk and may end up putting back on the 6262 we will see what happens....
Slow91z that's good to hear!! Seems like the guys that are going mid to low 10's are running the PTC for the most part just what I have noticed!!

Hey Brandon,

I have the Precision SLIC & I am running a 5857 with S Ported cover (4") & a 3 1/2" MAF pipe....it fits easily with no issues. I did install the IAC relocation kit though to make it easier .

dave

Thanks, I had seen the issue with the IAC and saw that rjc had the angle boss plate. I was just curious since there's not a whole lot of room under the up pipe. Did you have any issue with the 2.5" turbo outlet lining up with the 3" inlet of the intercooler. I was assuming a larger cover may make it sit a little lower.

Hey Brandon,

I have the Precision SLIC & I am running a 5857 with S Ported cover (4") & a 3 1/2" MAF pipe....it fits easily with no issues. I did install the IAC relocation kit though to make it easier .

dave
I agree!! I've seen a 6766 ported cover ran with one of those I.C. with no issue

Thanks for everyone's input. I plan on giving Dusty a call next week and ordering my ptc 9.5". From everyone's input and bison saying the spool will be better on a 6262 vs a 6266. I think I'll go with the 6262 ported S cover.

For what its worth, I went 10.97 @ 123 in my full weight GN (3700lb. +) with a old school TE-62 that was hurt through a Dutt neck stock intercooler. Boost was right around 27psi. Have a 3400 stall 9.5" ProTorque. 1.54 60' on that pass and it spun too. 10psi launch. Not much low gear timing either and nothing added in 3rd.

Im currently waiting on funds to order a replacement turbo and new PTE SLIC. Probably gonna do a "E" cover 6265 I think.

6262 is a 500-550rwhp turbo in it's sweet spot. Once you start to push it closer to 600rwhp it starts to heat the air up a bit more per psi. Low 10's are possible maybe even a 9sec slip with a spring time Da.

3.8L V-8eater------What was your 1/8 mile et and mph? I ran time in my sig. with 26# boost so I hopefully could run around 10.8 in the 1/4 or faster if I turned up the boost.

3.8L V-8eater------What was your 1/8 mile et and mph? I ran time in my sig. with 26# boost so I hopefully could run around 10.8 in the 1/4 or faster if I turned up the boost.

You should be there without turning up the boost even.

is there a better choice to meet my goals with the parts i have? (i dont have the funds to go 6466 since im going with a new trans at the same time). while the converter is out i can send it to dusty for a re-stall if need be to spool something larger. not trying to hijack this thread from the op, but i think we're seeking similar informatioin. with an art carr 9" and off the shelf tt chip my car went 10.9 @126 with a 1.6 60' fwiw. i havent managed a clean pass yet with current setup and my best of 11.4 broke the band in my craigslist tranny.

Many variables....boost, traction, tune, convertor not slipping on the big end...tons of terrible slipping convertors out there in TR's (not saying yours is but it needs to be efficient) , etc. As mentioned 60 lb/min is where the 6262 is near or at its limit and thats enough air to make high ten second power easy or even better. Its gonna take over 26 psi with your combo even with a bigger turbo IMO. Its gonna take boost to get power outta the engine as well as all the other variables. Get the trans fixed and start tuning.

... Its gonna take over 26 psi with your combo even with a bigger turbo IMO. Its gonna take boost to get power outta the engine as well as all the other variables. Get the trans fixed and start tuning.

Not enough people talk about that. It takes pressure regardless of wheel size. It's amazing what these cars pickup from 25 to 30 psi with even just a mediocre wheel. The good flowing engines pickup huge above 30psi with enough turbo to feed it. I've never had the privilege of tuning on one at the near 40 psi and above level but there must be a reason it's done! Gene Fleury made 1000hp on what he called a conservative tune and a great stage II engine but it still took 32psi.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Agreed....lost count at how many people are running a 60 or 70 whatever turbo at 16-20 psi.....what a waste.

One point people often forget, especially with flat tappet cams is spring pressure. To me, the advantage of a roller cam isn't necessarily that it's a roller but that it allows you to run a much better valve spring. Flat tappet springs with 80psi and less on the seat do not like boost when it gets up 25+. 25psi boost means backpressure is well over 35 and you will float the valves and kill the hp. When running a flat tappet cam at near or over 30psi boost, you must keep a check on your valve springs to make sure they stay at 100-110# of seat pressure. I used to replace valve springs twice a year when I raced my car with a flat tappet cam. When you swap to a roller you can get up into the 150# seat pressure range so you have a lot of wiggle room and don't have to worry about floating the valves. When you run a flat tappet cam, some extra work is needed to ensure proper valvetrain operation at elevated boost levels. In my case, pulling a set of comp springs out of the box and putting them on the head wasn't enough. Each spring was checked to make sure it was at least 100# on the seat before it went on the motor. Once you get used to life above 30psi, 28psi is no fun anymore

Able to focus on racing this spring. Still have the same setup with an early model 6265JB. Had the top off the motor taken off last fall after it started doing some weird things at the Noble race and I pulled it out of the race. Several power robbing problems were found and fixed. Car seems to make more power at 21 lbs of boost than it made before the fixes at 24 lbs. Best time is still 10.37 @ 132 MPH at 25 lbs of boost and it ran 10.40's pretty easily with 23 lbs of boost and 93/alky fuel.

Waiting anxiously for spring weather to get to the track and see what it does.

Able to focus on racing this spring. Still have the same setup with an early model 6265JB. Had the top off the motor taken off last fall after it started doing some weird things at the Noble race and I pulled it out of the race. Several power robbing problems were found and fixed. Car seems to make more power at 21 lbs of boost than it made before the fixes at 24 lbs. Best time is still 10.37 @ 132 MPH at 25 lbs of boost and it ran 10.40's pretty easily with 23 lbs of boost and 93/alky fuel.

Waiting anxiously for spring weather to get to the track and see what it does.
I would love to run these times with my 6265 but I don't think it will be close for me!! Would like to run consistent 10.8 or a few tenths better though...What converter are you running?? What problems in the drive train did you have??

1/8 was 98 MPH don't remember et....Picked up pretty good on the top end.....

I would love to run these times with my 6265 but I don't think it will be close for me!! Would like to run consistent 10.8 or a few tenths better though...What converter are you running?? What problems in the drive train did you have??

PTC NL with stall of 2900.

Broke 3 teeth off the ring gear on the fastest run. 60' was 1.59 versus 1.48 on the previous run. Should have been in the 10.10's with a 132 MPH.

Had a screw back out of the IAC and was losing air there. Can't hear that with the car running.:) Used leak tester to find that and also found EGR block off plate was leaking. Hole had been blocked with epoxy and it had come loose. Went straight for the #1 cylinder but too big to go into the cylinder so it just bounced around the valves. Had turbo rebuilt, tightened up the headers, realigned the DP and installed a new set of valve springs.

Your sig says 6262 but your post says you have 6265. ?

PTC NL with stall of 2900.

Broke 3 teeth off the ring gear on the fastest run. 60' was 1.59 versus 1.48 on the previous run. Should have been in the 10.10's with a 132 MPH.

Had a screw back out of the IAC and was losing air there. Can't hear that with the car running.:) Used leak tester to find that and also found EGR block off plate was leaking. Hole had been blocked with epoxy and it had come loose. Went straight for the #1 cylinder but too big to go into the cylinder so it just bounced around the valves. Had turbo rebuilt, tightened up the headers, realigned the DP and installed a new set of valve springs.

Your sig says 6262 but your post says you have 6265. ?
I just put on the 6265 this winter and haven't left the driveway with it....Your car is a strong runner and that's getting it done even with that turbo....

I have a full BB 6262 , its lights pretty decent with the stock converter thats in the car, but I still ended up ordering a 9.5 NLU from Dusty per his recommendation yesterday to see what it can really do. I plan on a track day tomorrow to see what it can do with the stock converter and then again in a couple weeks with the new 9.5 from Dusty.

Its a stock long block other than a TC and valve springs. I have nooooo problem turning up the wick to see what I can get out of it. I hope to click off some high 10's when the new converter is in. Time will tell.....

I have a full BB 6262 , its lights pretty decent with the stock converter thats in the car, but I still ended up ordering a 9.5 NLU from Dusty per his recommendation yesterday to see what it can really do. I plan on a track day tomorrow to see what it can do with the stock converter and then again in a couple weeks with the new 9.5 from Dusty.

Its a stock long block other than a TC and valve springs. I have nooooo problem turning up the wick to see what I can get out of it. I hope to click off some high 10's when the new converter is in. Time will tell.....
Keep us posted