Precision 6262 or 6266

Brandon Burnett

What will be the main differences, if any, on my setup running a 6262 jb vs a 6266 jb? I am going to call Dusty for a spec'd out PTC 9.5" non lock up and go off the stall he recommends. I changed a little bit in my setup and think I may need a little more compressor. I currently have a Precision 5831 coupled with a 10" Ptc 2800 lock up. I had a minor set back with my transmission so I wanted to step up my setup with my tax refund I've got coming back while I replace the clutches in the tranny. My goal is to realistically easily push it into the upper 10's and be capable of maybe a 10.5 or better with practice and suspension upgrades.
1987 Grand National
stock 3.8 (no girdle and hasn't been bored)
Precision slic
Champion ported iron heads, intake manifold and power plate
Rjc bulletproof hgs with arp bolts
hotwire walbro 340/ 60lb injectors TT chip
Razors alky
Edelbrock 204/214 ft cam lifter preload at 0.035" and rocker arm shaft supports
full exhaust with cutout
And other stuff like braces, coolers, air bags, etc...

That's ironic, I just logged in to ask the exact same question! Got my taxes back and want to try a newer - tech turbo and am torn between the same 2 units. Looking to run same mid tens as well as have fun on the street. Hopefully someone experienced chimes in ;-)

Either turbo is going to need well north of 28 psi and a 1.5 or better 60 foot to run mid tens in a 3600ish lb car imo with your combo

That's ironic, I just logged in to ask the exact same question! Got my taxes back and want to try a newer - tech turbo and am torn between the same 2 units. Looking to run same mid tens as well as have fun on the street. Hopefully someone experienced chimes in ;-)

I'm more curious because every time I search either unit I see people recommending either. I'm just wondering how the spool time and surge characteristics are between the two on my setup. I'd like to keep the boost under 30psi to make it happen. From all the threads I see something like a 6766 turbo is overkill to run those times and not being girdled the bottom end wouldn't survive at high boost levels. I was also curious if the covers would even matter for my goal. I would like to run an "E" cover unless there is a compelling argument to go with a ported "S" cover.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will discuss turbo choice with Dusty next week when I put in the order for my ptc 9.5". Not really being told there is any difference I think I'll lean toward a 6266 with an "E" cover so I will know it'll bolt up the same as my 5831 "E" cover does. I saw the "S" cover sits low and I'm guessing with the pte slic I would have to modify the brackets to make it fit right.

Either turbo is going to need well north of 28 psi and a 1.5 or better 60 foot to run mid tens in a 3600ish lb car imo with your combo

is there a better choice to meet my goals with the parts i have? (i dont have the funds to go 6466 since im going with a new trans at the same time). while the converter is out i can send it to dusty for a re-stall if need be to spool something larger. not trying to hijack this thread from the op, but i think we're seeking similar informatioin. with an art carr 9" and off the shelf tt chip my car went 10.9 @126 with a 1.6 60' fwiw. i havent managed a clean pass yet with current setup and my best of 11.4 broke the band in my craigslist tranny.

Last edited:
I also saw the 6466 too and didn't want to spend the $1700 on it. I actually ordered my rebuild kit from Art and he was telling me about the differences between his 9" and the ptc 9.5".

I've been 10.99 with my 6262 1.5 60ft and just put on a 6265..Have to wait till spring to try it out...turbonasty is probably right on needing the 28lbs of boost or so unless you have a lot of seat time and good tuning skills....If you want mid tens the 6265 would be a good choice especially if you have luxury of having the converter stalled for that turbo...

I've been 10.99 with my 6262 1.5 60ft and just put on a 6265..Have to wait till spring to try it out...turbonasty is probably right on needing the 28lbs of boost or so unless you have a lot of seat time and good tuning skills....If you want mid tens the 6265 would be a good choice especially if you have luxury of having the converter stalled for that turbo...

Finally someone running a decent number with this thing. What boost did it take get you to the 10.99 with that run? Out of curiosity, why the switch? Compressor must still be good since you're sticking with it; hotside holding you back at this point? Thanks a bunch.

Actually Bison has my 6262 right now rebuilding it!! I picked up this 6265 to try it at the Buick races in Norwalk this April...I went 124 on the 10.99 pass and have gone several 11.0 passes...Boost was at 25 as far as I could tell trying to read the gauge going down the track....It was at PBG races in Columbus and they made me turn off the lap top on that run so I couldn't go back and review any logs.....A buddy of mine says I should be going 128 or so with my combo....Would really like to gat a PTC from Dusty...I don't see a lot of guys running much better than high tens with the Art Car 16930 that I have noticed anyways....

The 6266 took the place of the 6265...Very similar probably wouldn't be much different in the two unless you were making enough power to see them to their full potential..

I went 6.90 at 101.58 which is the equivalent of 10.87 with the 6262 JB. Boost was 28 PSI on a 1.61 launch. Art Carr 16930 convertor...slip rate checked in at 10%. Erics 5.7 Alky chip...with lots of low gear timing. 02's were 730's in high gear and 750's in low gear. Flat tappet cam, ported irons, SMC Progreesive alky, stock rockers, stretched SLIC, 28x9 slicks, ATR 3" exhaust, RJC 3" internally gated DP with biggie puck. Champion stock appearing intake, Steve Monroe throttle body. 70/30 front shocks and 50/50 rears. ATR rear bar and Metco billet rear LCA's. Block is .030 over with the stock bottom end. Any other questions...please ask...and I'll be as honest as I can.

Finally someone running a decent number with this thing. What boost did it take get you to the 10.99 with that run? Out of curiosity, why the switch? Compressor must still be good since you're sticking with it; hotside holding you back at this point? Thanks a bunch.
I've seen 10.50's and 550whp with it and the compressor wasn't done. Them compressor will outflow the turbine. The same car had a 70 compressor and clipped p. I told the owner it would make the same power at 24-25psi on his iron headed engine. It was within 2whp.

I've seen 10.50's and 550whp with it and the compressor wasn't done. Them compressor will outflow the turbine. The same car had a 70 compressor and clipped p. I told the owner it would make the same power at 24-25psi on his iron headed engine. It was within 2whp.

So I am guessing a 6266 would be a better choice? Would it surge more than a 6262 and have a slower spool time or would it not be very noticeable?

At 60lbs/min the smaller turbine didn't matter and spooled faster.

Actually Bison has my 6262 right now rebuilding it!! I picked up this 6265 to try it at the Buick races in Norwalk this April...I went 124 on the 10.99 pass and have gone several 11.0 passes...Boost was at 25 as far as I could tell trying to read the gauge going down the track....It was at PBG races in Columbus and they made me turn off the lap top on that run so I couldn't go back and review any logs.....A buddy of mine says I should be going 128 or so with my combo....Would really like to gat a PTC from Dusty...I don't see a lot of guys running much better than high tens with the Art Car 16930 that I have noticed anyways....

Lots of people going mid to low 10's with the 16930...I went the times in my sig with one in a car that didn't 60' that great.