Owners with GT6152's combo's and times please.

TurboBob said:
Years ago, I had a TE63, P-Trim on my stage motor. It had a large compressor cover, with a 2.5" exducer, but a 3" inducer....... Can a 6152 be made with this cover? Would it fit and still work with the integral wastegate?

I have a regular 6152 (PT61) that I bought the year they came out. (bought at the Nats) works fantastic.

Bob

Well that is an older compressor cover that we no longer make. It's either a 3" in and 2" out...or the 4" in and 2.5" out. You can run an internal gate on both of these as I do on my car even at nearly 30 lbs of boost. We still sell the 63 but I always recommend a 67 over that.

d0n_3d said:
Yes on all of that except the Garrett housing. We only do the Precision housing. I assure you, you wouldn't be disappointed with this setup. I run the S cover on mine and love it. Here lemme post a pic!

Nice picture Don!!! :cool:

F-1 said:
I love this Turbo!!! See sig... When I get some more seat time, Tune up the timing and my new ET streets she may break in the 10's! :eek:

Yep I'd say so after watching you run 11.02 @124mph today!!! :cool: :biggrin:

86brick said:

What where when... :confused: Somebody in my backyard turning times :confused:

:biggrin:

This Thursday night..40-50's.. time to turn it up :eek:

Blazer406 said:
Borrowing the success of the TE45-a thread..........

I am really considering what to do........ :confused:

I have a TE 60 that needs a freshening. I have the tools and a machinist to help me take it apart and put it back together if I decide to buy a 360 deg rebuild kit from Limit Engineering...... That is the cheaper alternative.

Option 2 would be to send the turbo in and upgrade it to something else. My current mods are in my sig.

I have read great things about the GT 6152 and think this would be the perfect turbo for my car. I am currently running a stock longblock, but have aspirations to install a set of ported Champions w/ported intake and a hyd roller cam at some point when the engine has to be freshened........ but currently the longblock is stock.

My goal is to go low 11's.... maybe dip into the high 10's on 93+alky. Eddie Brewer has been 11.37 on the stock turbo on a full weight stock longblock car..... so this motivates me to really get what I can get out of my stock setup.....I'm looking for high 11's soon with the changes I have made since my last track outing.....still with the stock turbo.

I need to get the TE60 ready for whatever I am going to do (rebuild it vs. upgrade it). Jay at Limit is suggesting to go to a TE62....

So..... need to see some combos and some times..... to help me decide. Is anyone running the 4"/2.5" version of the 6152? I think this is what I could best utilize if I go that direction, because I have a 3-1/2" MAF pipe and LS1 MAF sensor and big mouth cold air kit that will go on when I get the kinks worked out.

Let me know what you guys think.

The bigger turbo will require a looser converter. My suggestion for a low 11 sec car is a 3200-3400 9 inch.. you can choose your variety. One problem is the motor will want to start to push through the converter raising the shift RPM's. You can overcome this if you either install a lockup converter and lock it.. or change the cam to bring up the power band running a non-lockup.

Every part you change has a consequence.. its tough to get the combo to work.. My old TTA has the TE67 with the 3 in 2 out. My new TTA has the TE67 with the 4 in 2.5 out. Both cars were running similar times at lower boost levels like 22-23 PSI. Like low 11's. Tuning has taken mine way further than any bolt on part. So keep working on the tuneup.. it is the key to making power.. assumming the motor is sound.

Meaning has low leakdown, valve springs are tight, cam is healthy, etc..

HTH

PS.. get some sticky tires and leave under boost.. your 1/8 will drop like a hammer.

86brick said:

Ohh, what a day!!! This turbo continues to amaze me!! I was so close to that 10 sec slip, but Moroso kindly asked me to stop running :biggrin: Well next time..

Razor said:
The bigger turbo will require a looser converter. My suggestion for a low 11 sec car is a 3200-3400 9 inch.. you can choose your variety. One problem is the motor will want to start to push through the converter raising the shift RPM's. You can overcome this if you either install a lockup converter and lock it.. or change the cam to bring up the power band running a non-lockup.

Every part you change has a consequence.. its tough to get the combo to work.. My old TTA has the TE67 with the 3 in 2 out. My new TTA has the TE67 with the 4 in 2.5 out. Both cars were running similar times at lower boost levels like 22-23 PSI. Like low 11's. Tuning has taken mine way further than any bolt on part. So keep working on the tuneup.. it is the key to making power.. assumming the motor is sound.

Meaning has low leakdown, valve springs are tight, cam is healthy, etc..

HTH

PS.. get some sticky tires and leave under boost.. your 1/8 will drop like a hammer.

The converter I am running now is supposed to be a "0-pump" 5 disk lock-up from Precision Industries. It appears to be looser than I would have thought.... my DS logs show several 3800 RPM @ 10-12# on a launch before I got the alky. That ought to complement that turbo shouldn't it?

As far as the 4"/2.5" ..... Do you think this is worth the $50 price difference? I will eventually put my big mouth cold air kit back on which has a 3-1/2" MAF pipe and necks up to 4" before the air filter itself. I guess you just run a 3-1/2" to 4" reducer off the turbo into the MAF pipe?

I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these units. I might have someone locally interested in my 60 (which has just sat in a box since I got it). If I move this soon, I will probably go on and get one.

Razor said:
What where when... :confused: Somebody in my backyard turning times :confused:

:biggrin:

This Thursday night..40-50's.. time to turn it up :eek:

What- Hot Rod Sunday
When- Yesterday (Sunday)
Where- Moroso

Not exactly your backyard (Bradenton), if it was I'm sure Dave would've probably gotten that 10 sec. timeslip and would've made more than two passes...

When you say turn it up you mean jet it up right?? :D :wink:

86brick said:
When you say turn it up you mean jet it up right?? :D :wink:

Exactly.. i'm hooked like hooker on Calle Ocho in Miami..

Weeeeeee :biggrin:

Just wanted to add.. its my "In case of Laz" button :eek:

:wink:

Just do it brian you won't be disappointed. I probably will stay will this turbo until i do heads. It's gotta be good for high 10's. I will call you with the results after the powerstroke is installed can us say BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTT

just do it there is no down side to this turbo it just flat out works great with a street car and a 3k-3200 stall converter. look in my sig for mods and time slip and dyno info.

SloGN said:
just do it there is no down side to this turbo it just flat out works great with a street car and a 3k-3200 stall converter. look in my sig for mods and time slip and dyno info.

I'm liking that Sig alot. :biggrin: Damn, and that's with the stock cam. :eek: I just want to get a the roller 212/212, roller rockers and the entire bit installed at Cottons and hit the track. 11s or bust on 93 octane.

Just when I think I have made up my mind to wait a little longer....... my goal is to go mid to high 11's on the stocker before I change turbos anyway.......you guys keep giving this turbo some more kudos...... LOL ....... I guess I need to sell my TE60..... then I won't have a choice.... except to go buy one of these.............

Who is running the S cover on theirs? besides Don? .... 4" inlet seems like a good upgrade for $50..... especially if I am planning on running my big mouth cold air kit with a 3-1/2" MAF pipe and LS1 MAF meter.......

Marc87GN said:
I'm liking that Sig alot. :biggrin: Damn, and that's with the stock cam. :eek: I just want to get a the roller 212/212, roller rockers and the entire bit installed at Cottons and hit the track. 11s or bust on 93 octane.

i just got me a set of the old kenne bell 1.65 roller rockers too. just gotta order some RJC spacers for the valve covers then i'm set :)

Updates?

Thinking of purchaseing one of these turbo's. My setup is almost identical to F-1's. Please post any updated track times or dyno pulls along with info on boost #'s/ chip timing and type of fuel used to get your results. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. TIA Phil.

Finallly made it to the track with the GT6152 today. Went to Englishtown's test and tune session. Temps were in the low 40's, sunny day, and not many people at the track. :)

My best run of the day:

60' 1.54
1/8 7.24@92.5
1/4 11.51@112.2

All my other runs were 11.5s and 11.6s at around 112. Not a single bad run the whole day!

I'm running a 23/21 timing TurboTweak chip. To be safe, I just left the timing at base values. I did have to add more fuel in through the chip because it did seem to be running on the lean side. I ran 27lbs of boost for most of the runs. On one run I ran 25lbs of boost and it ran 0.1 and 1 mph slower in both the 1/8 and 1/4. I ran 28" MT DR's (275/60/15s) to try and keep the rpms down. I'm running a 3200 9" Art Carr converter (not locking it) that seems like it has a lot of slip on the top end. I was turning 5400 rpm through the traps. With this converter it seems like I only pick up 20mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. I tried a tighter converter previously and the car picked up almost 24mph with the converter locked, but overall it was slower because the 1/8 ET and mph were down.

I kept the tires at 20psi and launched at 10lbs of boost on the 1.54 60'. The first run I launched at 5lbs of boost and kept launching harder each run. My 60 foots, in order, were 1.64, 1.61, 1.58, 1.56, and 1.54. I am also using an RJC boost controller. I also leaned out the first gear fuel in my TurboTweak chip, which seemed to help. I had 6psi in the air bags to help prevent the tires rubbing on the launch. With more tweaking and launching even harder, I think 1.4s could be in the future.

Here's the rest of my combo:

50# MSD injectors
stock IC with dutt neck
stock cam
stock heads
stock throttle body/plenum
stock MAF
HR bar
no front sway bar
stock boxed lower controls arms, stock uppers, both with poly bushings
Lakewood drag shocks 50/50 rear, 70/30 front
big mouth cold air intake
power plate
THDP
ATR dual 3" exhaust
no cat
Dynotech Hi-Pro trans
Walbro 340
Alkycontrol progressive alky kit, using methanol with 93 octane
data logging with Directscan, EGT
using S10 wheel cylinders to hold boost, line loc during burnout

Very happy with my runs today. :D It seems like the turbo did make a little more power running 27lbs boost compared to 25lbs boost. Hard to say how much more power though. With the stock cam I was already out of my power range at the rpms I was seeing. With another cam I might have picked up more. Plus I'm still using stock IC, throttle body, and heads. Might be flowing too much for my combo, hard to say.

Another thing I noticed is that I'm almost out of injector, even with the alky. After I added fuel through the chip, I was at 93% injector on the last run. Might have to bump up fuel pressure or add more alky if I run much faster.

The last thing is that I was still at a pretty safe timing of 23/21. I can probably run 26-27 timing in 1st/2nd gear, but not sure how much, if any, I should raise 3rd gear. I might try lowering the boost down to 25lbs and then add the timing, to give a little safety margin. My guess is that the timing will help more than the last couple lbs of boost with my stock IC/head combo.

Hopefully some others will have more feedback on this turbo. It worked good for me today!

Awesome runs for first time out this year..... I expect there is alot of power to be had with the timing bumped up.... What is your race weight? Do you have the front swaybar installed? How much difference in your opinion was the addition of the drag shocks over the stockers? is it a trade-off if they are for a daily driver? Your combo is nearly the same as mine except I am still running the stock turbo...... I am eventually going to put my big mouth cold air kit back on with the LS1 MAF meter....I hope to possibly go back to the track on the 18th..... will have some more stuff done... looking for some 1.5's on the 60'.... and some more MPH....

My car drives pretty good with my current shocks. I don't have a front sway bar, and with these shocks the front of the car tends to rise pretty easily on the street. I think it looks pretty cool. ;) A less friendly daily shock would be a 90/10 front shock. This will make the front end even looser compared to the street/strip 70/30 front shock I have. The 90/10 will rise faster and lower slower, best for the drag strip. The 50/50 rear shock is more of a pretty standard shock. With the HR bar, the car handles very good, even without the front sway bar. Still tends to drift a little and can be a pain on a windy day though.

track times

hey guys i went out to Kinston dragway to meet up with some of the local buicks guys.

i drove the car down there 160 miles. i made to runs on street tires. the temp was in the low 50's with a slight breeze blowing.

first run was as follows 1.923 60 FT 7.80 1/8 @ 93.28 MPH @ 20psi that was in the left lane.

the second run was made in the right lane and the car broke the tires loose in the bottom of second. 1.921 60FT 9.28 1/8 @85.02 mph.

after that second run i decided not to play anymore since i was not hooking very good so i wanted to keep all my body panels nice a straight and not bump the wall :eek:

i can't wait till i get my 1.65 roller rockers on and then bolt some slicks on the car :)

still not too bad for driving to the track and and still putting up some high 7 second pass and a low 90's MPH first time out for the year