New Grand National - Help with a setup

Bison is the man to talk to about turbos. He built the 6176 in my signature. He also sold me the original 6131 that he turned into the 6176. One of the best guys to deal with imo.

Stay away from a 6266 until down the road when you have enough air to move it (heads) and a convertor to spool it...

Thanks guys,
Those links seem to be pretty helpful! Out of my curiosity is there anything wrong with running the PTE6266 turbo at some point?

Thanks,
Cam

Thanks guys,
Those links seem to be pretty helpful! Out of my curiosity is there anything wrong with running the PTE6266 turbo at some point?

Thanks,
Cam
The turbo is really just too big for your needs now. There is nothing wrong with the turbo itself when you have a motor that can handle it.

Stay away from a 6266 until down the road when you have enough air to move it (heads) and a convertor to spool it...

Just saw that one, would you think if I picked up a matching converter and heads that flow better you think that turbo would be a decent choice?

Thanks, cam

The turbo is really just too big for your needs now. There is nothing wrong with the turbo itself when you have a motor that can handle it.

Thanks ZNix, What upgrades would you recommend that I need before I would go with something like that? Just trying to get an idea of what it takes to run something like that.

Thanks,
Cam

Thanks ZNix, What upgrades would you recommend that I need before I would go with something like that? Just trying to get an idea of what it takes to run something like that.

Thanks,
Cam

A turbo like that would like a GOOD stall converter and a motor that can move a ton of air. A set of ported heads, ported intake, and a decent cam. The motor would need to be built to support the kind of power it can make. Bison can chime more in on this, but I wouldn't doubt that turbo is good for 132mph in the 1/4. The fuel system is also going to be important. A double pumper set-up would be able to feed that beast. You can run this turbo on a stock motor, but you are going to probably need at least a 3200 RPM stall converter to get a decent spool out of it with stock heads and intake. You would be running it below its efficiency range in the mid 11's.

A turbo like that would like a GOOD stall converter and a motor that can move a ton of air. A set of ported heads, ported intake, and a decent cam. The motor would need to be built to support the kind of power it can make. Bison can chime more in on this, but I wouldn't doubt that turbo is good for 132mph in the 1/4. The fuel system is also going to be important. A double pumper set-up would be able to feed that beast. You can run this turbo on a stock motor, but you are going to probably need at least a 3200 RPM stall converter to get a decent spool out of it with stock heads and intake. You would be running it below its efficiency range in the mid 11's.

Thanks for the explanation ZNix!, A 3200 rpm stall wouldn't be a big problem as look as it could lock up for interstate driving. Ported heads are probably going to happen for me anyways unless the valve springs fix my current issue, I am also look at a set of those Ferrea valves, the are undercut and swirl polished. Ported intake wouldn't be that big of a deal. As for the cam, I am not exactly sure what all would have to be changed internally to upgrade the cam on these motors. I just got a pretty good fuel pump yesterday, I could always add a second one if need be. I like the idea of having plenty of room to add more power later on down the road. I like the buy one and done style.

Thanks!,
Cam

Out of curiousity, anyone know how quick a TR could go if you were to run a twin stock turbo setup? Would it be pointless, a waste of time and money?
How much extra strain would it put on the engine and transmission with twin stock turbos?
I'm not doing it, just an idea that reared its head in my brain.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, anyone know how quick a TR could go if you were to run a twin stock turbo setup? Would it be pointless, a waste of time and money?

From what I read a long time ago, there is not a lot of benefit from it. Most say that you could take the money, buy a single turbo and do better but I could be totally wrong.

Cam

Like i said, it was just an idea floating around in my head. But was curious what the outcome would be if it was attempted.

Like i said, it was just an idea floating around in my head.

Totally, I just wanted to let you know what I think I remember reading a long time ago. but it could be really beneficial, I am not totally sure.

How much extra strain would it put on the engine and transmission with twin stock turbos?
I'm not doing it, just an idea that reared its head in my brain.

Can be done ive seen it, need a lot of coin but tuning would be the biggest problem, they got the COOL factor but on a v6 you will go faster with a single turbo..

Like i said, it was just an idea floating around in my head. But was curious what the outcome would be if it was attempted.

Maybe it has to do with the specific motors because, some of the RB motors in import cars came with twin turbos. As does the Nissan GT-R.

Cam

Bingo...and a 6266 at 18-20psi is only running about 40-50%, right now you would be better with a te-44, te60, 60-1 or even a pt5858..

A twin turbo motor using stock turbos is not hard to tune. It works on the same principles. There was a kit that someone designed but not a single person stepped up to the plate for it. I would have in a heart beat. I think a company sells twin turbo headers, but I am not sure who. A pair of stock turbos will make more than enough power to blow a stock motor to pieces. I would have loved to do something like it. I might in the future.

And don't for get to put some ZDDP(zinc) in this motor.....dam this thread is getting long:yawn:

And don't for get to put some ZDDP(zinc) in this motor.....dam this thread is getting long:yawn:

Thanks, I will check into that. IS it okay for this thread to be long or would it be better if I split things up and made individual threads?

Cam