Need help with 85 to 87 conversion

my85grandnation

85 Triple Threat
I cant seem to find a reasonably priced 86 or 87 turbo car so Ive decided I am going to take the leap and convert my 85 to the 87 version. I am going to keep my stock block and go from there. I will be buying the conversion kit from Intercooled88's so I should have all the parts Im needing. I know I will have to drill and tap the block or put a bung in the oil pan for the oil drain back from the turbo. I also know I can keep my hydroboost system. I also know all the underhood wiring, A/C, throttle lines, and fuel lines are different. My buddy that lives near by has an 87 so I can look at it to see where everything goes and he said he would help me since hes had his whole motor apart. My main questons are besides all that Ive mentioned what else will need to be changed, and also does anyone have any links to other topics on this as I tried the search feature and couldnt really find anything on it. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dusty

i bought a 84 gn with an intercooled conversion done (poor job too) and the only thng they didnt do is the ign circit for the fans,sensors,etc wasnt in the wiring/fuse block on the 85. i had to tap into the fuse block for this ign wire.

This is a life saver concerning the brakes:

Hydroboost202-1.jpg

You're going to have to ask me on case to case basis about stuff as I am finishing mine up and overwhelmed mentally at the moment, lol. The exhaust hanger is different, that's one no one mentions.

I'll tell you right off the bat that I found it easier just removing most of the front clip, it will save you hours of time in the long run and a lot of knuckle meat too.

tnx2.jpg

enginepull.jpg

Ibejammin.jpg

Rwehavingfunyet_2.jpg

Project TNX Thanks for the info. I had already seen the diagram on the brakes, but thanks for posting it again. Which exhaust hanger are you refering to? I hadnt put to much thought into the exhaust, but I guess I will have to make sure I have the 87 downpipe and catalytic converter which Im sure Intercooled will throw in for me. Also did you you use your original block, or did you have an 87 block? If Im using my original do you think I could get away with leaving it in the car, or do you think I should just go ahead and pull it and swap everything over on the stand? Thanks for all your help.

Project TNX Thanks for the info. I had already seen the diagram on the brakes, but thanks for posting it again. Which exhaust hanger are you refering to? I hadnt put to much thought into the exhaust, but I guess I will have to make sure I have the 87 downpipe and catalytic converter which Im sure Intercooled will throw in for me. Also did you you use your original block, or did you have an 87 block? If Im using my original do you think I could get away with leaving it in the car, or do you think I should just go ahead and pull it and swap everything over on the stand? Thanks for all your help.

I'm scatterbrained, I totally forgot your engine was already in there. You just need to remove the inner fender well to get the wire harness through it, so yeah, don't listen to my earlier advice. Leave your front attached, the engine switchover stuff is the easy part of the conversion. The catalytic converter for an 84 has a different hole pattern than the 87's so the hanger needs modded or replaced.

I swapped an entire 87 drivetrain in mine, my original engine was toast. I upgraded all kinds of stuff and added alcohol so it really behooved me to drop the front off. I still haven't done the brakes yet, that and wiring is my biggest hurdle left, but right now I am doing the body work and then I'll zip it up.

Thanks for the advice. I am wondering what to do for the oil drain back from the turbo. If I drill into the block even if I use grease to catch the shavings and take my time, Im worried I may get some inside the engine. I may just go ahead and pull the pan and and have a bung installed into it as that would be the easiest thing to do for that. Also are the ECMs the same just different proms and chips, or will that get changed over as well? Thanks for all the info. I know it will be a long process butwith the help I have from my friends and all the great help off of here hopefully it wont take me to long. Thanks Dusty

Thanks for the advice. I am wondering what to do for the oil drain back from the turbo. If I drill into the block even if I use grease to catch the shavings and take my time, Im worried I may get some inside the engine. I may just go ahead and pull the pan and and have a bung installed into it as that would be the easiest thing to do for that. Also are the ECMs the same just different proms and chips, or will that get changed over as well? Thanks for all the info. I know it will be a long process butwith the help I have from my friends and all the great help off of here hopefully it wont take me to long. Thanks Dusty

I would drill in the block, you use a series of grease, magnets, tape, and paper and you'll be fine. Different ECM's. Different detent cable, dipstick, wastegate solenoid, exhaust hanger, those are the most obscure parts I can think of.

You can get around the fuel line issue like this:

motor_0416-1.jpg

Also, you may want to check for pit bulls under the hood before you crawl under there, you can never be too safe. :tongue:

pitbull.jpg

Are those the stock 84/85 lines your using on the fuel filter, or are they the 87 lines? I know all about checking under the hood. Last year my car was backed into and it sat outside for 2 months waiting on parts. When I pulled it in for work I had been working on it for about an hour when this huge rat comes crawling up from between the engine and heater box and scares the crap out of me. With his tail he must have been a foot long.

Are those the stock 84/85 lines your using on the fuel filter, or are they the 87 lines? I know all about checking under the hood. Last year my car was backed into and it sat outside for 2 months waiting on parts. When I pulled it in for work I had been working on it for about an hour when this huge rat comes crawling up from between the engine and heater box and scares the crap out of me. With his tail he must have been a foot long.

That's actually not my car, and they are 87 lines, but he fanagled the filter there instead of patching it in somewhere below the car.

Do you know if the 87 lines are still available new anywhere, and also are they just attatched to the end of the stock 84/85 hard lines? Thanks Dusty

Do you know if the 87 lines are still available new anywhere, and also are they just attatched to the end of the stock 84/85 hard lines? Thanks Dusty

Yep, you can get the fuel lines from multiple vendors still, and they just screw right on to the hard lines, easy to route as well.

The tranny dipstick is different. So is the heater core. You can make an hot air flavor work though (heater core)

If you have cruise control, the cable is different.

I also used hyrdoboost over when i did mine. IMO, just buy the proper hose from Powerbrake Bob. Its a braided line that goes from hydroboost to the powersteering pump. Then the Tee is pretty easy.

I am not sure whats included in your kit, but other 86/87 items are the specific are the air dams/ air deflectors the mount around the radiator to deflect air through the IC...

Nate

87 fuel rail replacement lines

Classic Tube has a nice set of fuel rail feed and return lines in OEM steel and stainless steel. The end of the tube is correct so that it will hold the o-ring without tearing it up when tightened. There was a post a while back detailing the mess of a situation one board member had with Inline Tube. Something like the end of the tube was not formed correctly to hold and secure the o-ring. So the o-ring kept getting torn up and the lines leaked like a sieve. Inline Tube would not take them back so he had to buy a second set, this time from Classic Tube. The Classic Tube preformed lines are dead-nuts accurate. Many vendors carry their stuff or deal direct Classic Tube - PreBent and Custom Stainless and OE Brake Lines and more...Just something to keep in mind.;)

Here is the list I came up with that has all I think I will need to make sure I get in my kit. Let me know if you think I need anything else. Thanks Dusty

Conversion parts list

All front engine accessory brackets with pulleys and belt tensioner
Complete intake with all sensors
87 ignition module, coil, and all wiring for it
87 hard metal heater lines on top of intake
87 throttle body
87 throttle cable
87 MAF with air intake tube and air box
87 detent cable
Downpipe
87 catalytic converter
Drivers side oil fill neck
Passenger side header
Passenger side valve cover with vent tube
87 transmission dipstick and tube
87 heater core
87 alternator, ac compressor, ps pump with remote reservoir
A/C lines
87 radiator hold down
87 radiator?
Oil cooler lines
Main engine wiring harness
87 fuel lines
Intercooler with all brackets
Intercooler fan
Intercooler piping
Intercooler scoop
87 air dams and deflector
Turbo
Turbo brackets and heat shield
Turbo oil feed and return lines
Electric fans
All hardware including any nuts, bolts, or fasteners needed

As far as the fuel line issue goes..thats my pic when I converted mine over. I took a new filter and the 87 fuel feed line to a hydraulic shop and found that connector/fitting there.

I also used the original block. Drilled in the stock 86-87 location. I converted after ruining the crankshaft in it. So the block was disassembled at the time, when it was rebuilt.

You won't need the 86-87 air dams or deflector.

When, not if, you have a specific question, feel free to PM me. I'll help the best I can.

p.s. You won't regret converting. The power difference is tremendous. At least it was for me anyway. Example: Tonight I went to the track on just 15 psi of boost on straight 93 octane I ran a 7.69 at 89mph 1/8th mile:biggrin:

As far as the fuel line issue goes..thats my pic when I converted mine over. I took a new filter and the 87 fuel feed line to a hydraulic shop and found that connector/fitting there.

I also used the original block. Drilled in the stock 86-87 location. I converted after ruining the crankshaft in it. So the block was disassembled at the time, when it was rebuilt.

You won't need the 86-87 air dams or deflector.

When, not if, you have a specific question, feel free to PM me. I'll help the best I can.

p.s. You won't regret converting. The power difference is tremendous. At least it was for me anyway. Example: Tonight I went to the track on just 15 psi of boost on straight 93 octane I ran a 7.69 at 89mph 1/8th mile:biggrin:

Thanks for the info. I know I dont need the air dams or deflectors but I want the car to look correct as well. So did you use a filter for the 85 or 87? I know I will have many questions, but I think with all of your guys help it will be fun and I should be able to get it done in a few weeks once
i get all my parts lined up and all my old stuff out of the way.

Thanks for the info. I know I dont need the air dams or deflectors but I want the car to look correct as well. So did you use a filter for the 85 or 87? I know I will have many questions, but I think with all of your guys help it will be fun and I should be able to get it done in a few weeks once
i get all my parts lined up and all my old stuff out of the way.

87 filter

I'm scatterbrained, I totally forgot your engine was already in there. You just need to remove the inner fender well to get the wire harness through it, so yeah, don't listen to my earlier advice. Leave your front attached, the engine switchover stuff is the easy part of the conversion. The catalytic converter for an 84 has a different hole pattern than the 87's so the hanger needs modded or replaced.

I swapped an entire 87 drivetrain in mine, my original engine was toast. I upgraded all kinds of stuff and added alcohol so it really behooved me to drop the front off. I still haven't done the brakes yet, that and wiring is my biggest hurdle left, but right now I am doing the body work and then I'll zip it up.

Can I remove the inner passenger side fender without removing the outer fender? Also for while Im installing all the intake and pieces on the front of the engine do you think I should remove my bumper, header panel, and radiator support to make more room to work or would you just leave it all there?

When i did mine, I was also doing a body off resto, so the front clip was already off, which made work extremely easy. You would at least need to take off the passenger fender and wheel well, to run engine harness through... I don't think you can pull it the inner fender well off by itself, but i could be wrong. If you wanted to pull off the front clip, I would pull it off as a complete unit (fenders attached to header).

Nate