Installing a turbo motor in an n/a regal

GNXkid

BOOST
What do I need or need to do to my n/a 86' Regal to install an 87' turbo motor? have the motor, trans, engine harness, and also the AC Box. Thanks.

You really should swap the rear axle also. Is the donor still around? If not, I believe there is an 8.5" rear axle for sale in this sites classifieds.

~JM~

You'll need a lot of parts and time to do it. You'd be better off with a wrecked car so you have all the parts. The gas tank is also specific to the TR's and you can get them new. You've got a long road ahead of you if you decide to do it.

It's not too difficult. It all depends on how talented you are. The biggest issues are adapting the engine harness to the dash harness and installing the fuel system. You will have to add some extra fuses to the fuse block for the fuel injection and fuel pump. If your good with electrical wiring it's pretty easy. If not I would try to find a dash harness from a turbo car. I put one in a 84' Hurst Olds with no problems still using the Olds dash harness.

my car is exactly what your asking about.i did mine last summer.i guess the difficulty only lies in how exact you want to be.i did mine with every correct harness,componant,bolt,screw,ect. even the heater case.its alot of work for sure,but worth it when your done.it also depends on YOUR ability.i can help with any questions you have and i still have a boat load of parts seeing as i aquired 2 gn parts cars to do mine.

The heater box is ok as-is. The heater box is a carry over form the early Turbo cars where the turbo is right next to the heater box. Not needed with the turbo mounted up front. As stated earlier, wiring is the biggest issue. I just add a bank of added relays to make it all work. Pretty easy if you have electrical skills. The rest is just nuts and bolts.

Cross member from a turbo car, drive shaft, nice to have the FE3 steering box, use the turbo A/C box it might be a tad more work but then its all plug and play. Buy a used behind the dash turbo harness for the same reason. You'll have to find a place to put in a fuel filter a in line hose type right by the tank outlet would be easiest.

Thanks guys. I have 4 TR's. I just bought a 87'GN that was rusted out(Michigan car), but had a decent running drive train. I've been sitting on this 86" solid body n/a regal for a few years now, and thought it would be a nice little project to install a turbo V6 in it , experiment with some things and have fun with this car also.
earcher1 if I need some parts. You will be the first I contact. Please post some pics of your car.

Yeah, people go through a lot of effort to convert stock brakes to vacuum. You'll need a turbo TA style vacuum block, several vendors carry them